Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2021, 6:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ajbrowc
I have a BA Holidays booking to New York with the balance due tomorrow. As I understand it a holiday booking needs to be "feasible", which this is not due to the US travel restrictions. Can I claim a cash refund, and if so, how? Or must I claim for a voucher?
Yes I believe you should get a full cash refund. Assuming BAH haven't proactively cancelled the booking already, you need to ring up to resolve this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MaxiStoat
What is a passenger entitled to in a situation such as this if they still wish to travel, especially in cases whereby the notice is insufficient to allow easy and reasonably priced rebooking with another airline?
I think a refund.

BA have rebooked me onto LH/ OS for a cancelled flight to VIE later in this month, and they have previously done the same via AY, which is helpful, but I don't think that they were obliged to do this. Also I note that the poster to whom you responded was flying to Sardinia, where I imagine that rebooking options are much more limited.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
I think a refund.

BA have rebooked me onto LH/ OS for a cancelled flight to VIE later in this month, and they have previously done the same via AY, which is helpful, but I don't think that they were obliged to do this. Also I note that the poster to whom you responded was flying to Sardinia, where I imagine that rebooking options are much more limited.
Well, on some dates in August Iberia would've been an option, but not for my dates.

Interesting that you've been rebooked on LH, which is definitely an option from Sardinia.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 6:55 am

Programs: BA EC
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
I think a refund.
Which is fine if the flight is cancelled months out as there is plenty of time to rebook. But when it's left a matter of weeks it makes it much more difficult as alternative cash fares are then much more expensive given the last minute nature of the booking. In this situation a refund is really quite frustrating.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:49 am

I was due to fly to the Maldives with BA in 2 weeks. The flights have now. Even cancelled. If the Maldives moves to amber and the rules for transiting through hubs in red list countries are relaxed is it possible BA would rebook me on a Qatar flight? My booking was a 241 avios redemption.

Thanks for any help
Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:23 am

help with cash booking upgraded with avios

Hi all,
We made a cash booking and then upgraded using Avios. We now have to cancel and apply for a FTV or evoucher. We understand this will be for the full price of the original ticket but what happens to the Avios part of the booking, do they just return them?
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes I believe you should get a full cash refund. Assuming BAH haven't proactively cancelled the booking already, you need to ring up to resolve this.
I finally spoke to BAH after one hour in the queue, only to be told I had to call back tomorrow for a cash refund. Today they could only provide a voucher. She checked with back-office to ask for an exception, to avoid another hour long wait tomorrow, however this was declined on the basis they cannot guarantee the US won't announce an opening of their borders before tomorrow.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I finally spoke to BAH after one hour in the queue, only to be told I had to call back tomorrow for a cash refund. Today they could only provide a voucher. She checked with back-office to ask for an exception, to avoid another hour long wait tomorrow, however this was declined on the basis they cannot guarantee the US won't announce an opening of their borders before tomorrow.
Well I guess it also gives BAH another day to automatically cancel it anyway. Seems a bit jobs-worth, but at least you know what to do and that there is no point adding to the deposit.

Anyone else with a BAH deposit would therefore be best to wait for the exact date of the final payment before contacting BAH.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC
What number did you ring? I have been trying for the last few days and always just get cut off.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BAeuro
What number did you ring? I have been trying for the last few days and always just get cut off.
+443444930787

I tried going via the gold line a few times but couldn't get through, so I tried this number and it worked.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:13 pm

I have a couple questions in the spirit of this topic. First, here's my story: I booked the following itinerary: PDX-SEA-LHR-BCN in F, returning LIS-LHR-LAX-PDX in J. Heavily discounted cash fare direct through BA (~$2500 R/T). Since booking, I received first one email indicating one leg had been cancelled, and then another indicating a separate flight leg had been cancelled.

I understand based on reading the earlier posts/wiki that I am entitled to rebook the same routing to alternate dates, and fare will not be recalculated/increased. OR that I may cancel prior to accepting their proposed changes prior to travel and receive a refund in full.

My questions follow:
1) Do I just get "one shot" at making any changes/refunds, after which it's back to the original terms (non-refundable / changes subject to fare changes)? Or if I accept/make changes today would I still be entitled to a full refund closer to flight time? (edit: looks like @ABZLocal asked this yesterday as well)
2) Is the answer to 1) impacted by the fact that two legs were cancelled? i.e. could I call and make a modification to one leg whilst not accepting the second change until a later date? At which time I'd still be able to modify the flights or get a full refund?
3) Any anecdotal info about BA's willingness to minor route changes (i.e. flying into Portugal instead of Spain) in such a situation? I presume this would be easy enough to talk my way into...?
4) Any thoughts on the chances I could get them to swap F and J on the outbound/return?
5) If I call in to discuss options, can I refuse to "accept" their changes and leave the door open to calling back later to make the changes official? I'm reluctant to call now and forfeit my ability to change these things down the line. Given the delta variant I'd like to have options open to me closer to the mid-Sept departure...

Thank you!

Last edited by GallyChef; Aug 4, 2021 at 8:32 pm
Old Aug 4, 2021, 7:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I have similar questions to the poster above me...

My itinerary is: AUS-LHR-TIA, TIA-LHR-AUS in business (booked through AARP with Chase BA discount) for travel in September.

1. The reason for my trip, a tour, has been changed (well my tour has low enrollment and they are offering me an alternate option). I think I can change the dates without penalty, is that correct?
2. I've seen that BA will allow a change of airport, within so many miles. Would DBV work instead of TIA?
3. It is doubtful that AUS-LHR/LHR-AUS will operate in the near future (the start date keeps getting nudged). Can I now move (while moving dates, and possibly destination) to flights that will likely actually operate, such as DFW/ORD/JFK? Will BA also allow travel on AA flights across the Atlantic (I'd assume they would allow AA or B6 from AUS to gateway)? Does anyone have a list of the current USA to LHR flights that are operating? I know that many AA hubs have at least 1 flight between AA and BA to LHR, any others?
4. When I look at possible connections, I see about an hour for DBV-LHR-ORD or TIA-LHR-ORD? Is that currently realistic?
5. As the poster above, would changing now be my only opportunity?

Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:01 pm

3. At www.google.com/flights, you can search for flights from LHR to "United States". Filter on nonstop, oneworld
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm

1. The reason for my trip, a tour, has been changed (well my tour has low enrollment and they are offering me an alternate option). I think I can change the dates without penalty, is that correct?
I believe that while you could change the dates/flights/etc without penalty, you'd be subject to a fare recalculation in case the buckets have filled up... I believe that the totally free date changes without regard to class codes only comes into play if a flight is cancelled by BA, based on my read of the wiki...
Old Aug 5, 2021, 2:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aztimm

My itinerary is: AUS-LHR-TIA, TIA-LHR-AUS in business (booked through AARP with Chase BA discount) for travel in September.

2. I've seen that BA will allow a change of airport, within so many miles. Would DBV work instead of TIA?
3. It is doubtful that AUS-LHR/LHR-AUS will operate in the near future (the start date keeps getting nudged). Can I now move (while moving dates, and possibly destination) to flights that will likely actually operate, such as DFW/ORD/JFK? Will BA also allow travel on AA flights across the Atlantic (I'd assume they would allow AA or B6 from AUS to gateway)? Does anyone have a list of the current USA to LHR flights that are operating? I know that many AA hubs have at least 1 flight between AA and BA to LHR, any others?
4. When I look at possible connections, I see about an hour for DBV-LHR-ORD or TIA-LHR-ORD? Is that currently realistic?
5. As the poster above, would changing now be my only opportunity?

Thanks for the help!
1. No change fee but you are liable for any fare difference.
2. A change is only allowed up to 300 miles for a cancelled sector, and the allowance only applies to that cancelled sector.
3. See 1, any voluntary changes are liable for fare difference. If you have a flight cancellation then yes you can look at an involuntary change, and I would think DFW was the obvious choice for a route which has operated.
4. 1 hours is MCT for T5->T5. That should be fine, you just have to do security when connecting.
5. If you get a cancellation you have one involuntary change allowed. Once you have had your free shot, any further changes are subject to fare rules.
ABZLocal likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.