Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2023, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks @flarmip for the detailed explanation.

Another reason on the $1 outlay booking is that, this is a 40/60 speculative booking, not a 100% we would go scenario. In the event of cancellation, all losses are $1 x 2 for 2 persons. That is the thought in my mind.

But you are right, I should not squander Avios in such a way although we do have a good balance in the household account. We only use it for shorthauls with a good number on partner flights, primarily in Asia and Australia. BA already devalued the partner flight redemption, making it less valuable for our main usage. Avios valuation in my book is barely $0.01 in many redemption especially after the devaluation on partner flights. The only advantage is the checked bag on Avios redemption is included while buying a ticket you need to factor that in, but then we normally dont check bag so this added value is lost on us in almost all redemption.

Based in US, Avios isn't difficult to earn and a 20% pad on transfer is almost like a clock work each year. The 7500 essentially is 6250 only due to the 20% transfer bonus (7500/1.2), making the per Avios valuation a wee bit better at $10/6250= $0.0016 or 0.16 cent, Still a Poor Value as you pointed out.

UPDATE
I called at 4pm EST. Got India Call Center when I press option 3 Others. While the guy has strong accent that I have to ask him to repeat each ID verification question, he easily took care of the cancellation. A cancellation email comes and Avios went right back to account.
Will rebook with the 19250 Avios + $11 fare option when the trip is more certain.

I found this blog has an easily understand BA distance award chart.
https://financebuzz.com/avios-award-chart

Last edited by Happy; Dec 12, 2023 at 2:03 pm
Old Dec 12, 2023, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Well, most of you already know, perhaps, but BA just jacked up (that's US slang for "increased") the cost of flights on AA by some 30%. So a round-trip (that's US-speak for "return") mid-continental flight that was 22,000 Avios, for example, is now 29,000 Avios. And so on. There's another US expression, taken from poker, that applies here: read'em and weep. I certainly am.

Edit: I just booked a short flight for 22,000 Avios that would have been 18,000 had I booked yesterday. So I really am weeping.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Well, most of you already know, perhaps, but BA just jacked up (that's US slang for "increased") the cost of flights on AA by some 30%. So a round-trip (that's US-speak for "return") mid-continental flight that was 22,000 Avios, for example, is now 29,000 Avios. And so on. There's another US expression, taken from poker, that applies here: read'em and weep. I certainly am.

Edit: I just booked a short flight for 22,000 Avios that would have been 18,000 had I booked yesterday. So I really am weeping.
This devaluation being discussed here (among other places):

https://thepointsguy.com/news/britis...alaska-awards/

("British Airways implements no-notice devaluation for American and Alaska award flights")
Old Dec 14, 2023, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I’m hoping for a Christmas miracle to book a flight to Cape Town next December. If I want to fly on 12 December would T-355 be midnight on 24 December? I only have 137k Avios - is my best strategy to use 62,500 Avois + £374.50? Understand I can’t book the return at this stage.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
Anyone having issues with upgrade using avios?

Previously I would use the AARP and CHASE 10% discount to book WT+ and upgrade using avios to CW. Attempted today and was told that it was not eligible. Any work around?

I am not sure which discount made it invalid. It’s under 24 hours so I can still cancel the booking.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 5:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by utpharmdoc
Anyone having issues with upgrade using avios?

Previously I would use the AARP and CHASE 10% discount to book WT+ and upgrade using avios to CW. Attempted today and was told that it was not eligible. Any work around?

I am not sure which discount made it invalid. It’s under 24 hours so I can still cancel the booking.
I don't really know much about AARP/CHASE etc however here is an older thread which may help? (It seems calling back and speaking to a different agent has been the case before to make it successful but some mixed results and reading between the lines officially, historically speaking, it seems it isn't allowed but happy to be corrected if there's been any changes)

I assume there was availability to upgrade in the first place?

I think my fellow former Ambassador golfmad has some working knowledge on your query and hopefully he can provide more of an insight with his experience in such matters.

Can't Upgrade AARP Club World ticket to First?

ETA: See here too

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27543939-post16.html

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; Dec 14, 2023 at 5:48 pm Reason: adding 2nd link and text
Old Dec 14, 2023, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
thanks for the response!

Originally Posted by PETER01
I don't really know much about AARP/CHASE etc however here is an older thread which may help? (It seems calling back and speaking to a different agent has been the case before to make it successful but some mixed results and reading between the lines officially, historically speaking, it seems it isn't allowed but happy to be corrected if there's been any changes)

I assume there was availability to upgrade in the first place?

I think my fellow former Ambassador golfmad has some working knowledge on your query and hopefully he can provide more of an insight with his experience in such matters.

Can't Upgrade AARP Club World ticket to First?

ETA: See here too

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27543939-post16.html

Pete
Old Dec 15, 2023, 7:17 am

Just an update: I called the US Gold line and got transferred to the UK call center. Agent took an hour but was able to process the upgrade.

BOS-BCN RT 65750 avios (apparently peak/off-peak pricing are in play here) and the difference in taxes and fees were $1010 for WT+ to CW… seems a bit high to me
PETER01 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 3:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by utpharmdoc
Just an update: I called the US Gold line and got transferred to the UK call center. Agent took an hour but was able to process the upgrade.

BOS-BCN RT 65750 avios (apparently peak/off-peak pricing are in play here) and the difference in taxes and fees were $1010 for WT+ to CW… seems a bit high to me
It does seem a bit much. Depending on the price you paid for the underlying WT+ booking, you might even be worse off than if you'd booked CW straight from the off...
Old Dec 21, 2023, 2:05 pm

CW was $14K usd on the BA site for the dates I wanted
Old Dec 22, 2023, 6:00 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
While attempting to make an Avios booking from AMS to ORD via LHR on BA J class, I was surprised that BA is charging the same fees starting from AMS as if I starting my journey from LHR! Usually it is less by almost $250 +/-

Is there a change in policy for charging fees including YQ from European cities to make matching as if I am starting the trip from UK or my account has a problem?
Old Dec 23, 2023, 3:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Bear in mind that RFS for J is no longer taxes/fees/charges, but instead a number of fixed priced points which can be changed. Unfortunately BA has brought the fixed prices in line for a number of starting points, so it might not save money by starting a reward in DUB/AMS etc.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Bear in mind that RFS for J is no longer taxes/fees/charges, but instead a number of fixed priced points which can be changed. Unfortunately BA has brought the fixed prices in line for a number of starting points, so it might not save money by starting a reward in DUB/AMS etc.
I tried the same booking on AA starting my trip from AMS to ORD via LHR and AA still charge the previous low fees unlike BA. Aren't the two airlines should have the same fees when booking a redemption award on BA?
Old Dec 23, 2023, 12:50 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I tried the same booking on AA starting my trip from AMS to ORD via LHR and AA still charge the previous low fees unlike BA. Aren't the two airlines should have the same fees when booking a redemption award on BA?
no not at all. AA doesn’t offer RFS pricing on BA flights.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
no not at all. AA doesn’t offer RFS pricing on BA flights.
What is RFS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.