Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Mandatory Covid Test for JFK Flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Very little has been announced, I assume this is due to the last 72 hrs of countries banning U.K passengers.

Sky news is running an article today on the subject and they quote that Virgin Atlantic will start requiring tests from Christmas Eve. VS have said more details will follow in the coming days.

I haven’t seen anything official from BA.
I haven't seen anything official from Virgin Atlantic yet but I suspect they might leverage the Joint Venture with Delta to send passengers to other hubs if they're unable to fly through JFK due to this requirement.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
Oh, I’m aware (I’m American and thinking about transiting EWR next month), it just seems a bit pointless as long as you can fly into EWR instead.
It's as pointless as the 14-day quarantine/test-out option that is enforced for arrivals into JFK and LGA but not EWR. Most people I know that have to go to NY just use EWR now and then take a train/Uber/cab over to NY.
Intl359Widget and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Yes rather unfortunate BA aren't operating into EWR at the moment
Old Dec 23, 2020, 3:27 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I haven't seen anything official from Virgin Atlantic yet but I suspect they might leverage the Joint Venture with Delta to send passengers to other hubs if they're unable to fly through JFK due to this requirement.
Quoting myself since I just received an e-mail from Virgin indicating that they will require 72h PCR testing to all US destinations starting this Thursday. This means I will need to go and get a test on Saturday for my trip back to the states.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 5:54 am

Will testing apply to crew as well?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 12:51 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It appear Hizzoner is gonna send the sheriffs to check on y'all.

Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Not sure I can write on here what I really think about that
RB211 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It appear Hizzoner is gonna send the sheriffs to check on y'all.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1341789438565896192
This just backs up the on-going farce of each Govt trying to look strong against Covid in their voting public eyes when all around them is falling down. The U.K. / U.S. are prime examples of how their strategies have failed, yet they think going after specific arrivals from other Countries looks fantastic from a PR perspective 🤦‍♂️

Pilot37
RB211, Tiramisu and gpp1 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by gpp1
Yes rather unfortunate BA aren't operating into EWR at the moment
Any individual could fly UA to EWR if originating from LON.
Or, they could simply connect from ORD ( LHR-ORD on BA & ORD-EWR on AA - BA codeshare ) if they want to fly to EWR.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Any individual could fly UA to EWR if originating from LON.
Or, they could simply connect from ORD ( LHR-ORD on BA & ORD-EWR on AA - BA codeshare ) if they want to fly to EWR.
Philly is also an option, then just take the Acela on to NY or drive. I'd hate so suggest the PHL experience to anyone, but I'm pretty sure Pennsylvania is also on New York's 'too much of a pain to regulate' neighboring state exception list.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: BAEC
I thought I had heard that NY requires one to quarantine if arriving from another US state...or am I wrong?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought I had heard that NY requires one to quarantine if arriving from another US state...or am I wrong?
There are exceptions for the neighboring states of New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania. I think DC might be on that list also.

Basically, if you take a train into NYC from New Jersey for example, you're not subject to the New York health declaration form and thus they don't collect any personal information on you.
rockflyertalk and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 5:00 pm

Travelers from states that are contiguous with New York are exempt, but you still have to fill out that form thing. From other states, if you have a negative test with 72 hours of arrival, and then another negative test 3 or 4 days later, then you may exit quarantine on the 4th day. Otherwise, unless an essential or exempt person, it's the full 14 days.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
There are exceptions for the neighboring states of New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania. I think DC might be on that list also.

Basically, if you take a train into NYC from New Jersey for example, you're not subject to the New York health declaration form and thus they don't collect any personal information on you.
Indeed yes, if you are using ground transportation to enter NYS, there is no check.

However, there were reports that NYS guards are now asking to see the ticket of arriving Amtrak pax and if arriving a state south of Delaware ( including Maryland and DC ) they are asking to see the form. Although, there is a getaway that you could get off an Amtrak train at Newark, NJ, and transfer to a commuter train over there to avoid issues.

Note: DC is not in the exception list anymore.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 1:16 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
So does this new rule requiring ALL international travellers to quarantine for 14 days apply even if coming from out of state do you reckon so no work around?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55432977

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.