Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Mandatory Covid Test for JFK Flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gpp1
We used them at T5 as a result of participating in the BA trial. My test came back days late with an inconclusive result, my OH's test was lost. So I'm probably not the best person to ask
Express Test?
Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by CKBA
Problem really is the location of the test centres (especially since Bham/NEC is closed at the moment!). Collinson provides a 45 minute test at T5 - would be intrested to know of any actual experiences with them (rather than booking/IT issues).
It is what it is, unfortunately. I am flying LHR > LAX on Sun 10 Jan, and I am doing a 8h round-trip drive to T5 on Fri 8 Jan in order to do the test. It’s part of the sacrifice I have to make to fly in these challenging times, which I am okay with.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by destone
Express Test?
No Express Test were great. Collinson was the disaster.
destone likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Problem really is the location of the test centres (especially since Bham/NEC is closed at the moment!). Collinson provides a 45 minute test at T5 - would be intrested to know of any actual experiences with them (rather than booking/IT issues).
I used Collinson for my trip to US this week - did both Antigen and PCR test - Antigen result came with 45mins and PCR within 36hrs. I did both tests at once and the overall experience with Collinson was positive. My booking was at 6pm and there was queue but I only had to wait for 20mins.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 5:12 pm

Can somebody check my understanding?

The US CDC requirement is: "the specimen was collected within 3 calendar days of the flight's departure". (per https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/U...-encrypted.pdf). This is assuming that the arrival state doesn't impose a 72-hour requirement.

If a flight is at 6:00pm on a Monday, then presumably it is permitted for the test to be taken at any time on the Friday or after. This would include Friday morning (more than 72 hours before the flight departure time, but still within three calendar days).

Does that seem accurate?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Schus
Can somebody check my understanding?

The US CDC requirement is: "the specimen was collected within 3 calendar days of the flight's departure". (per https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/U...-encrypted.pdf). This is assuming that the arrival state doesn't impose a 72-hour requirement.

If a flight is at 6:00pm on a Monday, then presumably it is permitted for the test to be taken at any time on the Friday or after. This would include Friday morning (more than 72 hours before the flight departure time, but still within three calendar days).

Does that seem accurate?
My understanding is that that is correct: flying at Monday at 6pm would allow you to have the test on Fri/Sat/Sun/Monday - i.e. it could be outside the oft-quoted 72 hour period.
Simon Schus likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques

Does that seem accurate?
I can tell you in the other direction, flying from JFK to CDG for example, the airline will check if it has been less than 72h before departure, and again at CDG they checked that. Although the airline seemed much more strict. Government hired staff at both JFK and CDG have appeared to me to be far less strict.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 5:39 am

We used them at T5 as a result of participating in the BA trial. My test came back days late with an inconclusive result, my OH's test was lost. So I'm probably not the best person to ask
was this PCR?
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jetpack
was this PCR?
No the LAMP test
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:27 am

No the LAMP test
... I'm hoping that their (Collinson's) 45 min rapid test should allow time sufficient time for a re-test if they lose it!
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
The US CDC requirement is: "the specimen was collected within 3 calendar days of the flight's departure"… This is assuming that the arrival state doesn't impose a 72-hour requirement.
You raise an interesting point about how arrival state requirements could be different from CDC requirements. I wonder if, in some situations, two different pre-travel tests would be required, one to satisfy the CDC's requirements and another to satisfy the state's requirements.

And as international travel to the US is somewhat limited at the moment, I presume states will not see any pressing need to ensure that their own testing requirements are aligned to those of the CDC…
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:34 am
Original Poster

... I'm hoping that their (Collinson's) 45 min rapid test should allow time sufficient time for a re-test if they lose it!
Yes good point! We actually did the tests upon arrival
Old Jan 2, 2021, 1:52 pm

Since this thread is dedicated to JFK (& US) Covid-testing, I’d like to state the obvious that the test must be PCR or antigen (no rapid or LATAM allowed).
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by destone
Since this thread is dedicated to JFK (& US) Covid-testing, I’d like to state the obvious that the test must be PCR or antigen (no rapid or LATAM allowed).
You note "no rapid" - but where does it state that? The CDC information is https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/U...-encrypted.pdf and states:

"Viral test means a viral detection test for current infection (i.e., a nucleic acid amplification test or a viral antigen test) approved or authorized by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2."

So are you saying that the Collinson rapid antigen test is not valid? (I did ring BA before booking - they had no idea...).
Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:40 am

Here’s my experience:
- Used ExpressTest (PCR throat and nose) drive-through at Heathrow T5 on Friday at noon. They verified my passport, etc.
- Received Fit to Fly PDF Saturday 11:30 am (turnaround time 24h)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.