Wiki Posts
Search

World's longest misspelt sentence

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, M&M
World's longest misspelt sentence

I received an email from BA Customer Assistance containing the following sentence:-
"However if this was not a valid connection time you would not of been able to of book this, in terms of passed experiences i can only apologise, we have changed our assistance partners from January of this year it may be that your passed experience was from prior to that date."

It reminded me of an old O level English question, "find and correct the mistakes in the following"
Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:31 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Not too dissimilar to the quality of some posts on Flyertalk by native speakers

Must admit I find it almost painful to read "would of" . But then I am becoming more of a Victor Meldrew year-by-year
Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
I can't help but think of 'Harry Hills TV Burp'.....

Longest misspelled sentence of the week!
Old Sep 28, 2020, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The person who sent this should not be communicating directly with customers.

And it's likely that s/he is a native English speaker, because no-one who has been taught English as a second language would make the mistakes in that sentence.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 3:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Lots of people make grammatical mistakes, in all sorts of roles. At least it wasn't boilerplate, and it seems a shame to pull this out to make fun of someone doing their job as best they can.

Let those who never make a mistake cast the first scone.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 3:22 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Lots of people make grammatical mistakes, in all sorts of roles. At least it wasn't boilerplate, and it seems a shame to pull this out to make fun of someone doing their job as best they can.

Let those who never make a mistake cast the first scone.
If communication is the job you are paid for, this doesn't wash. "could of" and "would of" are just plain wrong. Mebbe i am bein 2 harsh on dis but iz 2020 innit?
Old Sep 28, 2020, 3:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Talking

Originally Posted by macdrew
I received an email from BA Customer Assistance containing the following sentence:-
"However if this was not a valid connection time you would not of been able to of book this, in terms of passed experiences i can only apologise, we have changed our assistance partners from January of this year it may be that your passed experience was from prior to that date."

It reminded me of an old O level English question, "find and correct the mistakes in the following"
At times I really don’t get this forum, you complain when you get cut-and-paste replies and now that you’ve actually received a personalised one you complain again!
IAN-UK, Andriyko, SKT-DK and 21 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
At times I really don’t get this forum, you complain when you get cut-and-paste replies and now that you’ve actually received a personalised reply you complain again!
I know. Expecting a personalised reply and on top of that one written in competent English...tsss... How unreasonably extravagant: OP should know that ability to write English is not a required skill of BA customer assistance employees. How on earth would they be able to recruit employees at the rate they pay them if they had such unreasonable expectations?
thijsseh, lloydah, Jermyn and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
At times I really don’t get this forum, you complain when you get cut-and-paste replies and now that you’ve actually received a personalised one you complain again!
And if it were perfect, I'd complain that they're spending too much time on tasks that are not critical
Cryofern likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, M&M
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I am not making fun of someone doing their job as best they can, I am making a valid point that public facing staff of a large British company/institution should at least be able to use the English language with some skill and competence. Is it so wrong to expect the correct use of the Queen's English in British business correspondence? Incidentally I would only recognise the adjective boilerplate as being a fine example of American English.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
And if it were perfect, I'd complain that they're spending too much time on tasks that are not critical
mmm I like your use of the subjunctive there 😊🧐
Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Has anyone thought that they may have a condition (E.g. dyslexia?) and may therefore need assistance from a colleague?
Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Paren
Has anyone thought that they may have a condition (E.g. dyslexia?) and may therefore need assistance from a colleague?
That wasn't my first thought. I mean what skills trump those involving communication for a job in customer service?

But following your thesis, is the suggestion that maybe the designated amanuensis was having a day off, or perhaps the writer was too proud to ask for assistance?
thijsseh and Paren like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by NickB
I know. Expecting a personalised reply and on top of that one written in competent English...tsss... How unreasonably extravagant: OP should know that ability to write English is not a required skill of BA customer assistance employees. How on earth would they be able to recruit employees at the rate they pay them if they had such unreasonable expectations?
I work with some pretty skilled - and eye-wateringly-expensive - engineers. The ones who are born and bred in the UK can't distinguish between its and it's, your and you're, hangar or hanger, etc etc. They design equipment worth millions but God help them should they ever write a manual or code without spell-check. Strangely enough the same doesn't happen with their Canadian colleagues. They even put the "u" in colour.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 13901
They even put the "u" in colour.
Canadians have colour, cheques and marvellous pyjamas. Their wheels have tires, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.