Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Double Avios Promo : Register and book by 31 Aug, travel by 31 Dec 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2020, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
You can now enjoy double Avios on up to 10 flights or holidays. All you need to do is register and book by 31 August 2020 and travel by 31 December 2020.

This includes all domestic flights in the UK, and within southern Africa. Also included are our British Airways flights operated by our partners, American Airlines, Iberia and Finnair, when travelling between Europe and North America.

*Double Avios on flights can be awarded to all global Executive Club Members. Double Avios on holidays can only be awarded to Executive Club Members who are registered in the UK or USA.
Print Wikipost

Double Avios Promo : Register and book by 31 Aug, travel by 31 Dec 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Well done BA IT for getting a personalised email right. Less great that the registration page goes back several generations of the website design.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Does anyone know what would happen in this scenario?

I booked a flight for October before this Double Avios promotion. If I upgrade to CE, will I get double avios or just the normal amount?
Having read all the small print, they don’t mention anything about upgrades. So I guess I’d just get the standard Avios for an upgrade to CE.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Having read all the small print, they don’t mention anything about upgrades. So I guess I’d just get the standard Avios for an upgrade to CE.
I figured out the most avios bang for the buck and likely to actually fly was Dubai. There is massive availability and some ridiculously cheap offers going and Dubai has just opened up for tourists again - some quite reasonable hotels with flights are about £500pp for a long weekend. We also had a voucher from a BA hol being cancelled which needed to be used up. The double avios applies to the BA holidays element as well so I figure out that the double avios promotion is worth about 18000 avios to us on top of the 40 odd thousand we'll be getting from the trip.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: A3G, BA Silver, LH FT
Are OTA bookings eligible?
Old Aug 4, 2020, 1:38 am

Programs: Executive Club
Under the Book with Confidence policy you can cancel any flight booked recently, get the voucher, register for this promotion and then rebook the same flight and get the double Avios can't you?
Old Aug 4, 2020, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by JessicaB
Under the Book with Confidence policy you can cancel any flight booked recently, get the voucher, register for this promotion and then rebook the same flight and get the double Avios can't you?
This has come up a couple of times in the thread and no one appears to have answered so I’ll give it a go. There are actually two different answers, and they need a basic understanding of the ‘voucher’ process to understand which applies in each case.

If you have (or get) a FTV, then any rebooking will NOT qualify for double Avios. This is because your original booking is technically just temporarily suspended (with more flexible conditions attached), and when you rebook it is reactivated with a reissued ticket against the old PNR. The original Amadeus booking creation date will still apply in this case, so the offer will almost certainly not be triggered.

If, however, you have (or get) one of the new-fangled e-vouchers issued as an EMD (or indeed use the residual amount issued on one after spending a FTV), then I would expect this will* trigger the offer. This is because when you ‘rebook’ you are actually creating a new booking with a prime issue ticket, and are technically just using the voucher to pay for it.

(*disclaimer: I have no inside information to confirm any of this, it’s all based on the logic of how it *should* work in theory based on what’s actually happening in practice.)
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Confus
This has come up a couple of times in the thread and no one appears to have answered so I’ll give it a go. There are actually two different answers, and they need a basic understanding of the ‘voucher’ process to understand which applies in each case.

If you have (or get) a FTV, then any rebooking will NOT qualify for double Avios. This is because your original booking is technically just temporarily suspended (with more flexible conditions attached), and when you rebook it is reactivated with a reissued ticket against the old PNR. The original Amadeus booking creation date will still apply in this case, so the offer will almost certainly not be triggered.

If, however, you have (or get) one of the new-fangled e-vouchers issued as an EMD (or indeed use the residual amount issued on one after spending a FTV), then I would expect this will* trigger the offer. This is because when you ‘rebook’ you are actually creating a new booking with a prime issue ticket, and are technically just using the voucher to pay for it.

(*disclaimer: I have no inside information to confirm any of this, it’s all based on the logic of how it *should* work in theory based on what’s actually happening in practice.)
This sounds sensible. BA are doing this offer to get new money in the door; not for people to spend their vouchers. I’m sure they’d love people to forget they have them let them expired .
Old Aug 5, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Confus

So our new booking has a different PNR to the cancelled one. The new booking was made as a holiday booking and then we called to have the voucher applied. The PNR for the new booking did not get changed but the balance on the holiday booking was reduced - the new booking being significantly more expensive than the voucher value. So I think for holiday bookings at least it's a manual process so I'd be surprised (and would complain) if we didn't get the double avios. We managed to UUA the booking as well which has some additional benefit.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 9:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Double avios didn't post in my case. Has anyone else registered, booked and flown already and not received the double avios?

Edit: Apologies. The promo avios posted as I can see them on ba.com but not in the App (yet?).

Last edited by florens; Aug 9, 2020 at 9:59 am
Old Aug 13, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just booked a flight and then after registered for Double avios

I have been a bit of a plonker. I just bought a return flight to depart on Monday. I have then seen in my email the register for double avios and have done that after i have bought the flight. What do you think i should do? Just leave it?
Old Aug 13, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
24 hour cancellation and rebook?
squawk and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yupp Done it! Double Avios now and saved £23 on the booking as well! Result.
sunshinebob likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Sorry to say that this is unimpressive to say the least.
You have to book before the end of August and all flights must be flown by the end of the year. So you have to book during a period when there is even more uncertainty over the virus, BAs actual flight planning and the ability to actually be able to enter a wide range of BA destinations.
And, as others have said, it doesn't cover a booking I made four months ago.
Seems like a PR stunt (look we gave you a year extension and double air miles...).
As my father would say, you'll get what you're given.

BA doesn't owe us any offers, it has enough issues to deal with currently. This is evidently a commercial tool in order to generate additional bookings and should be appreciated by those that can/are able to make use of it.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 5:42 am

So I guess I'm going to take a FTV for all my flights and rebook them with the FTV... Or maybe BA can just add the avios to save hassle. The price is the same (give or take £5) for all trips.. A nice little incentive tho!
Old Aug 14, 2020, 6:17 am

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by firstlight
I figured out the most avios bang for the buck and likely to actually fly was Dubai. There is massive availability and some ridiculously cheap offers going and Dubai has just opened up for tourists again - some quite reasonable hotels with flights are about £500pp for a long weekend. We also had a voucher from a BA hol being cancelled which needed to be used up. The double avios applies to the BA holidays element as well so I figure out that the double avios promotion is worth about 18000 avios to us on top of the 40 odd thousand we'll be getting from the trip.
I think you still need a recent clear Covid19 'certificate' to get into Dubai according to latest FCO advice. So yes it has opened up but still with restrictions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.