FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Double Avios Promo : Register and book by 31 Aug, travel by 31 Dec 2020
Old Aug 5, 2020, 1:25 am
James91

Originally Posted by Confus
This has come up a couple of times in the thread and no one appears to have answered so I’ll give it a go. There are actually two different answers, and they need a basic understanding of the ‘voucher’ process to understand which applies in each case.

If you have (or get) a FTV, then any rebooking will NOT qualify for double Avios. This is because your original booking is technically just temporarily suspended (with more flexible conditions attached), and when you rebook it is reactivated with a reissued ticket against the old PNR. The original Amadeus booking creation date will still apply in this case, so the offer will almost certainly not be triggered.

If, however, you have (or get) one of the new-fangled e-vouchers issued as an EMD (or indeed use the residual amount issued on one after spending a FTV), then I would expect this will* trigger the offer. This is because when you ‘rebook’ you are actually creating a new booking with a prime issue ticket, and are technically just using the voucher to pay for it.

(*disclaimer: I have no inside information to confirm any of this, it’s all based on the logic of how it *should* work in theory based on what’s actually happening in practice.)
This sounds sensible. BA are doing this offer to get new money in the door; not for people to spend their vouchers. I’m sure they’d love people to forget they have them let them expired .