Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2020, 1:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wilko1
OK, thanks. I suspect we are in the wait and see what actually happens then mode.
And this all comes back to the core issue.
1. Getting an email promising an additional 12 months.
2. Written by someone with no idea how BAEC actually works.

If I receive an email saying "great news, your card extended by 12 months", then I expect it to happen, this is exactly what All Accor did.

BA shouldn't promise it if they can't deliver, and if it's caveats, then target the email better and write the rules more clearly.

However, back to the core promise of 12 months added to my current expiry date, that's the email I received and that's what I expect BA to deliver, it's simple.
wilko1, testycal and DrGee like this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by stephenjc

However, back to the core promise of 12 months added to my current expiry date, that's the email I received and that's what I expect BA to deliver, it's simple.
Well put. Totally agree. This is what I was sent and what I expect.
wilko1 and stephenjc like this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 2:50 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
My tuppence worth related to the IT melt down at end May 2017, and how BAEC dealt with me then. I was involved in this so in early June got ‘the email’ about my Tier extension. So many people got a 2 year extension of their current tier. I was one of the fewer, as my year ended May 8th, card expiry end June 2017, that got an email I was getting a 1 year extension but based on my ‘...upgraded from my previous tier’. My current tier was Silver but my previous was Gold. But when the IT did it’s update my Silver card which was already July 2018 went to July 2019. I had to open a query with BAEC as this wasn’t an upgraded extension of my ‘previous’ tier as they promised in the email. The case was open for 3 months till August and every few weeks I’d ask for an update, and it was always still be looked into but no one could make a decision as it dumbfounded them. In the end I got a Gold member to see if they could push it along and then it got passed to a manager who decided as the IT failure fell between by Tier end date and card expiry then I was staying Silver as he ruled my previous tier was hence Silver and my current Silver. So I was ‘upgraded’ as the email stated from Silver to Silver again.

So, the email has no legal validity was my lesson from this, and if sent by mistake can be retracted. There was better news ahead though! Later that year I did make Gold anyhow On my own steam, and my year went forward another year to June 2020. The following year I renewed again and my year still stayed at June 2020! So in the end the extra year they gave me was rather Faux!

Last edited by cheshirepete; Jun 20, 2020 at 3:01 am
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Jerseylily2
Well put. Totally agree. This is what I was sent and what I expect.
Indeed me too.
stephenjc likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:14 am

So just to be clear; My collection year ends 8th March. I’d retained Gold by 8th March 2020 so my card was renewed until April 2021. I got an email from BA saying they’ve “added 12 months extra onto my Gold Exec Club membership” which should mean April 2022, but actually it means zilch and I’ll still need to earn 1125 tier points to retain Gold again until Apr 2022?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:47 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
So just to be clear; My collection year ends 8th March. I’d retained Gold by 8th March 2020 so my card was renewed until April 2021. I got an email from BA saying they’ve “added 12 months extra onto my Gold Exec Club membership” which should mean April 2022, but actually it means zilch and I’ll still need to earn 1125 tier points to retain Gold again until Apr 2022?
Actually, as a March renewal, you will get (nearly) an additional year - you won't need to earn any TPs until March 2021 at which point you'll be renewed to April 2022 and then you will have the lower threshold of 1125 to get you through to April 2022 to renew to 2023.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
did you have a look at 796?

I don’t know what you plan to earn from 9 March 2020 to 8 March 2021, but even if you don’t meet the reduced threshold by 8 March 2021 your gold status will be extended to 30 April 2022.

between 9 March 2021 and 8 March 2022 you will need to earn 1125 if you want to remain a gold in your 9 March 2022 - 8 March 2023 membership year.

the people who effectively don’t get an extra year are those who requalified or upgraded anyway in their current year.
andymcdonnell likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 4:00 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
March's are fine, it's July's not so much. We all get 25 % though. 796 I think sums it up.

I'm still confident BA will address the email and tweak the extension, due to the email.

Email should have been targeted. Some didn't even get one though, including me.

Edit . I would like to add that BA is just made of regular people like everyone else and we can all be right with hindsight.

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Jun 20, 2020 at 4:20 am
Old Jun 20, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
I was thinking on this topic.

currently gold, 1075 points so 1 CE return will see me meet the new 1150 requirement.

my renewal date is not till Nov 2020.

if I meet the 1150 target before my card renewal date will my TP be reset for Nov 2020 - Nov 2021, or will they carry over onto 2021?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by NeilP
I was thinking on this topic.

currently gold, 1075 points so 1 CE return will see me meet the new 1150 requirement.

my renewal date is not till Nov 2020.

if I meet the 1150 target before my card renewal date will my TP be reset for Nov 2020 - Nov 2021, or will they carry over onto 2021?
Your TP's would be reset on 8 November 2020.
Although, if you don't meet the 1150TP requirement or not, you would stay Gold until 8 November 2021 so there is no need for you to travel until 8 Nov 2020 at all.
The reduced thresholds for your current TP year would only benefit for you to reach GGL.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
As a "March baby" I am rather relishing not having to worry about TP maximisation until next Easter

Now if I was only going somewhere (preferably via a lounge!)...
Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:30 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by KARFA
did you have a look at 796?

I don’t know what you plan to earn from 9 March 2020 to 8 March 2021, but even if you don’t meet the reduced threshold by 8 March 2021 your gold status will be extended to 30 April 2022.

between 9 March 2021 and 8 March 2022 you will need to earn 1125 if you want to remain a gold in your 9 March 2022 - 8 March 2023 membership year.

the people who effectively don’t get an extra year are those who requalified or upgraded anyway in their current year.
I requalified gold with may 8th year finish, this means I do nit get an extension?
if so I will let my gold status go for the first time in 25 years. So be it.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by stevie
I requalified gold with may 8th year finish, this means I do nit get an extension?
See post 796, yes you get an extension.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 3:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stevie
if you substitute May for March and June for April in the post you quoted you will get your answer.

Last edited by KARFA; Jun 21, 2020 at 5:14 am
Old Jun 21, 2020, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
When I read an email that says "we’ve added 12 months extra onto your Gold Executive Club membership" then 12 Months extra is what I expect to receive.

When this turns out to be "we’ve added 12 months extra onto your Gold Executive Club membership, unless you've already spent enough with us to reach Gold already, in which case we won't" then it is much more likely that my future spending with BA will be zero, my OWE benefits will be taken with other Oneworld carriers while they last, and more of my spend will flow to non-BA Oneworld / Star Alliance / Skyteam for long-haul and the ULCCs for intra-Europe travel.

BAEC are, putting it politely, being disingenuous with this "everybody gets an extra 12 Months" spin.

Less politely, they're lying through their rectums!

Last edited by southlondonphil; Jun 21, 2020 at 4:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.