Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2021, 8:37 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think you have plenty of time to get those 85 TPs GBOAC - I recall you are a September renewal, but assuming reduced thresholds are only until June 2022 that's 6 months for a couple of flights.

Here is a question (not specifically directed at you GBOAC), if your usual destination is likely to be out of commission for several years to come - say China/HKG for example - is there an expectation that BA should keep extending status for you on an individual basis until such time as you can go again?
This is where I am at. 6-8 round trips per year in business class flying into HKG and generally our of PEK. Not possible until likely 2023 at the earliest. Surely BA can look at my flying history and make an exception.
If not, hey ho, its a big world of choice out there.
docsxx likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 8:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Well, we're at mid-December and no official word of more status extensions despite the various predictions and anecdotes from agents.
I guess it's time to just plan your TP runs (if chasing status) or accept the bittersweet taste of a soft landing.
I know we're all conditioned to panic when status is downgraded, but the reality is that there's little/no harm in losing status that you weren't using.
Premium perks can still be purchased (hello business class!), so you can feel special when it's time to get back on the hamster wheel of elite status.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.

Here is a question (not specifically directed at you GBOAC), if your usual destination is likely to be out of commission for several years to come - say China/HKG for example - is there an expectation that BA should keep extending status for you on an individual basis until such time as you can go again?

Interesting point, I guess it the rest of the world gets back to normal, these anomalies will lose out.
However most regular fliers will have some travel vouchers built up, So maybe they dont need status to lock people in when they have your actual money?

Im a June Renewal and have just enough flown and already booked to meet the lower target, with many more trips to book if i can. Making me worry about renewing seems to serve very little benefit.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes KARFA, however a colleagues experience last Wednesday was the following (originally he was arriving Wednesday morning and was due to leave Friday night all booked before the new regs went into effect on the 7th). He managed to get a test done only on Thursday morning. He did not get the results back until after 4PM Thursday afternoon. He then was essentially stuck in the UK until tomorrow (Tues) as the work/meetings he was supposed to have done on Thursday have been happening today. So he had to spend an additional 4 days in the UK due to these regs. Personally I was supposed to have been in the UK this week, which I cancelled due to these regs.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:22 am

I think you have plenty of time to get those 85 TPs GBOAC - I recall you are a September renewal, but assuming reduced thresholds are only until June 2022 that's 6 months for a couple of flights.

Correct on my renewal. However I will have limited travel opportunities from the spring for probably the rest of my collection year for personal reasons and was aiming to front end everything in the period I was able to travel. Yes most likely I will be able to make up the deficit (with a one-way PE ticket), but this is not a certainty, especially if travel restrictions either domestically or internationally tighten further, or I'm as grounded as my current 'worst case' scenario suggests.

In response to your general question, it is a difficult one for BA. And I would say that freezing status until 90% of destinations are operating normally for 12 months is not unreasonable. Its not as if lounges will be full as fewer people are/will be travelling. And is is unfair on those who regularly use closed or sporadically-closed destinations... BA profited from them in the good times..... Around 30-40% of my flying used to be to or via TLV until a few years ago, so a 25% reduction in threshold really does not cut it for me... TLV is a premium heavy route, along with HKG (as an exemplar in Asia) and consideration needs to be given for these routes. Maybe less so for holiday destinations where there is more elasticity in choice (although there will be some with overseas holiday properties for whom this elasticity does not exist).

Its not as if work will just let me bill a TATL flight because I can't fly elsewhere...
stewaran likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: BA GGL
Presumably BA will either issue an extension by end of December for those historically ignored April-ers, or won't. Believe it was 20th of month last time. So it'll either be a nice Christmas present or slap from Santa I s'pose.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: GGL
Apologies if this is mentioned upthread, but with so many posts..

I noticed that under the benefits section of manage my account it shows the next benefit as the GUF2 at 2,500 tier points, not renewal at 2,250. Does the hive know why?

Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I should more than requalify for Gold after a flight tomorrow. Been 10 days since my TPs reset, so not too bad.
Nice being able to get some flights in.

Next week's one's, for 80-100TP, I may not bother with, although they would take me a little closer to GGL.
Just need to find something to book with my FTVs, e-vouchers and AA credit.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xenole
I should more than requalify for Gold after a flight tomorrow. Been 10 days since my TPs reset, so not too bad.
Nice being able to get some flights in.

Next week's one's, for 80-100TP, I may not bother with, although they would take me a little closer to GGL.
Just need to find something to book with my FTVs, e-vouchers and AA credit.
Maybe you can use your AA credit on their shopping channel; way better than trying to fly with them. Perhaps they have a storefront selling LPGS.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:30 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Mixbury
Apologies if this is mentioned upthread, but with so many posts..

I noticed that under the benefits section of manage my account it shows the next benefit as the GUF2 at 2,500 tier points, not renewal at 2,250. Does the hive know why?

But in the app you should see your equivalent of this with the 2250 goal?
aks120 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 6:21 am

It's already 20th of the quarter. I hear from some acquaintances that BA has emailed today to extend their FTV to 30 Sep 2023. Still no news / chatter about possible status extension for April to June babies?
Old Dec 20, 2021, 6:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
It's already 20th of the quarter. I hear from some acquaintances that BA has emailed today to extend their FTV to 30 Sep 2023. Still no news / chatter about possible status extension for April to June babies?
All FTVs were extended to end of September 2023 back in August.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 6:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
It's already 20th of the quarter.
It's the 20th day of the month. It's the 81st day of the quarter.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Given the lockdown rumblings from the media that are speculated to come in next week, I'd be very surprised if we hear anything from BA before the end of the year.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 12:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

So, bottom line -- don't plan on BA extending status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.