Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2021, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Tiffywren
Am I reading this right that to earn status in 2022 I need to have reached the (reduced) threshold by June 2022 rather than by my year end of Nov 22?
I believe what it means is everyone with a renewal date through to June 2022 will have reduced thresholds.

That means as a November renewal, you are included and will still have the usual full 12 months to earn at the reduced rate.

Presumably from 8 June 2022 onwards, the plan is, at the moment, for them to go back up, but on a rolling basis as people's annual renewals occur.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 5:22 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tiffywren
Am I reading this right that to earn status in 2022 I need to have reached the (reduced) threshold by June 2022 rather than by my year end of Nov 22?
As part of the original status extension, TP year ends were extended, and the extensions ran out between July 2021 to June 2022, depending on the ExecClub members TP year end. There was also a 25% reduction in TP target relevant to that period. Today is therefore the first day of the reduced target TP year for June 2022 TP year ends, and they are, unless something changes, the last group to start their reduced target TP year.

On 9th March this year, the second round of extensions were granted, termed as 'protecting' status, applicable to July-December 2021 TP year ends, who by that point had lost all the benefit of the 25% target reduction. Their memberships were 'protected' to their relevant TP year end month between July and December 2022, but with no reduced TP targets. So as a November year end, your 25% reduction TP year ends on 8 November 2021, but you have protected status for the year 9 November 2021 to 8 November 2022, during which you would need to earn the full TP targets to renew status for the year running from 9 November 2022 to 8 November 2023.
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by gcuk; Jun 9, 2021 at 5:47 am Reason: corrected date
Old Jun 9, 2021, 5:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by HB7
Double tier miles would be great for the next 12 months. For the rest of this calendar year, The UK travel market will be heavily suppressed and effectively dead thanks to the fact that when it comes to travel vaccines mean nothing to government.
The idea of doubling tier points is almost certainly a non-starter as they would count toward lifetime totals too. It is far simpler to reduce targets than to dole out more points.
Markie, alex67500 and KARFA like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 6:56 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by golfmad
The idea of doubling tier points is almost certainly a non-starter as they would count toward lifetime totals too. It is far simpler to reduce targets than to dole out more points.
Not so sure about that. BA are fighting to keep going right now. I'm not sure lifetime status of anyone will come into the equation for the next year at least. Why do it for Holidays bookings at all if they don't think it'll help in whatever way it can?
Old Jun 9, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by AdBoy
Not so sure about that. BA are fighting to keep going right now. I'm not sure lifetime status of anyone will come into the equation for the next year at least. Why do it for Holidays bookings at all if they don't think it'll help in whatever way it can?
BAH people much less likely as leisure travellers to trouble lifetime total? More of a small carrot to tempt them into status for the short-term.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 7:35 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by dougzz
BAH people much less likely as leisure travellers to trouble lifetime total? More of a small carrot to tempt them into status for the short-term.
Just don't think anyone at BA is thinking about lifetime totals being an issue at all. They just want bookings. Trial it with BAH and see if it pulls more cash in is my thinking.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 7:36 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by golfmad
How is it more simple? It may be more generous for a very short period of time (in comparison to a lifetime of collecting tier miles), but how is it more or less simple?
Old Jun 9, 2021, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus, Hilton Diamond
All BA flights to my city in continental Europe are cancelled. With which planes am I supposed to make new reduced TP targets? I got the propaganda email from BA today asking me to be ready to fly. Fly where and inside which kind of metal tubes? certainly no BA ones here...
AdBoy, Lefly and SavvyTravel like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by HB7
How is it more simple? It may be more generous for a very short period of time (in comparison to a lifetime of collecting tier miles), but how is it more or less simple?
Well I'm glad you asked me that. If BA were going to issue double tier points across the board for any length of time they would have to implement a method to apply only the original number to member's lifetime totals. While I would love it in my quest for GGLFL I simply cannot see them being that generous. Therefore the process of accounting for tier points becomes more complicated from an IT perspective.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
There looks to be very little downside to BA in extending status, particularly as it's going to take years for passenger levels to return to where they were in early 2020. Lounges are not going to be over-crowded, and a few extra TPs dished out here and there is hardly a concern.

In contrast, what I would suggest BA absolutely wants to avoid is the position where their high-value customers (who, let's be honest, are mostly travelling on company-funded business trips) find themselves ready and permitted to start travelling again early next year, but stripped of the perks of their previous status that sent them BA's way.

Whilst increasing TP earning, or reducing status thresholds, might help to put a few more bums on seats in the short term, I would not have thought it would generally motivate the high-value customer base to book numerous European holidays in the next few months (and particularly when these involve a ridiculous amount of hassle and might well be cancelled anyway). Once business travel is back up and running, at least to some significant degree, I think that will be the point that status extensions end.
HB7, docsxx, wilsnunn and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 11:17 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I guess BA are constantly reviewing what the airline will look like in the future, what routes they will fly, how many jobs they can retain, etc.

Taking the extreme view, if BA never resume my favourite three routes, they aren't going to extend my status indefinitely. I'm grateful for the extensions given so far but at some point I may have to accept that in a changed BA, I may not maintain my status.

To use the phrase of another July GGL member when we had waited 8 months into our year for the status 'protection' announced in March, we had become 'emotionally detached' from BA and the status chase. It was actually quite refreshing and when the 'protection' was finally granted by the airline, it was really appreciated.
docsxx and Nephoi like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
AF/KL is expected to announce double XP on their flights.
I received an email this evening confirming this:

we will double your XP when travelling on Air France and KLM marketed flights between 1 July 2021 and 31 December 2021.
As for what BA will do, goodness knows. I would agree with those in this thread that it is likely simpler for them to reduce qualifying targets for an additional period of time, than it is to offer double TPs as the latter would count towards lifetime status unless somehow specially accounted for. This seems like a lot of work vs just reducing the thresholds which is something they’ve already implemented.
efincomputer likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 2:46 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Got an email from LH also offering limited version of double/more status miles for the next 3 months in addition to the already network-wide double status miles till end of year.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 4:32 pm

Has there been any experience recently regarding requalification based on cancelled flights?

I might be able to just about make it to 1125 TP including my cancelled flights, but not 1500.

If it's still a case of either having to meet the reduced threshold with flights that went, or having to meet the full threshold with cancelled flights, then I won't bother trying to get to 1125...
Old Jun 9, 2021, 4:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by just_starting
Has there been any experience recently regarding requalification based on cancelled flights?

I might be able to just about make it to 1125 TP including my cancelled flights, but not 1500.

If it's still a case of either having to meet the reduced threshold with flights that went, or having to meet the full threshold with cancelled flights, then I won't bother trying to get to 1125...
I qualified (as a new BA Gold) with cancelled flights that was over 1125 but below 1500
just_starting and jonr405 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.