Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What will LON-JFK look like in a few years?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What will LON-JFK look like in a few years?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
If Canada permits this,

LCY-Halifax-LGA would be possible as Halifax has pre-clearance facilities and is closer to LGA;
However, the aircraft should also make a technical stop back in Halifax as a direct LGA-LCY flight would violate the 1500 mile perimeter rule.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If Canada permits this,

LCY-Halifax-LGA would be possible as Halifax has pre-clearance facilities and is closer to LGA;
However, the aircraft should also make a technical stop back in Halifax as a direct LGA-LCY flight would violate the 1500 mile perimeter rule.
I don't think LCY to Halifax is possible. The limitation is LCY runway length and not being able to safely takeoff with 20T of fuel on that runway.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
I don't think LCY to Halifax is possible. The limitation is LCY runway length and not being able to safely takeoff with 20T of fuel on that runway.
Did not know that the LCY runway had fuel limitations.
Thanks for the remark.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Did not know that the LCY runway had fuel limitations.
Thanks for the remark.
its not the fuel. its the weight. the more fuel you load, the longer is your takeoff distance.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:33 am

Firstly, I'm glad the flame-throwing has died down. This is a good thread! Musings and speculation are the bread 'n butter of FT

One of the benefits of this flagship route is frequency. Therefore I'd be surprised if BA cut frequencies - and lose prime slots - over and above putting other aircraft types on the route. When I used to fly this route frequently for work, frequency and choice was an important factor for me.

As for LGW, I'd speculate it'll go, if one of the reasons is competition from Norwegian.

For the LCY service, there are other challenges. The hard product really needs updating now, and unless the plan is to introduce Club Suites on the A318 (I don't think that's ever been the plan?), then it's not likely to have been hanging around beyond the short/medium term anyway. The other factor of less demand for business travel for the foreseeable future will impact the service. Combine this with the opening of Crossrail - and a direct journey time of 40 mins from the City to LHR T5 - is a killer to the service.
TedToToe, jonkx and BAeuro like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Maybe the 777-200 will takeover all JFK services. It maintains the frequency but drops capacity from some of them 747s. Could the 787 make a scheduled JFK debut too?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Maybe the 777-200 will takeover all JFK services. It maintains the frequency but drops capacity from some of them 747s. Could the 787 make a scheduled JFK debut too?
With JFK being a flagship route, BA will want the Club Suite on as many services as possible. The 777-200s should do just fine and I wouldn’t expect the 787 to make an appearance.
BAeuro likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:43 am
Original Poster

From looking at prices for this time next year on the route, they seem maybe a bit higher than usual. I wonder if that’s because they anticipate the budget carriers won’t be flying next year (eg Norwegian).
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:48 am

From looking at prices for this time next year on the route, they seem maybe a bit higher than usual. I wonder if that’s because they anticipate the budget carriers won’t be flying next year (eg Norwegian).
They may as well, if they're able to increase prices then it would be odd for them not to. Anyone who wants to travel next year would - I'd hope - put somewhat of a higher price on BA as an airline that's more likely to be around in a year, compared to Norwegian.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by London_traveller
They may as well, if they're able to increase prices then it would be odd for them not to. Anyone who wants to travel next year would - I'd hope - put somewhat of a higher price on BA as an airline that's more likely to be around in a year, compared to Norwegian.
Around mid-April, I was able to spot GBP300 r/t for both directions on all 3 alliances ( including 1-stop itineraries ).
If I'm not wrong, airlines usually price-match on this route.

By the way, TAP still has a GBP269 fare on this route ( LGW-JFK via LIS or OPO ) for this fall and winter.
AlwaysonBA663 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:54 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Originally Posted by T8191
BTW, apologies to all here for me being scratchy, but with £12k of pre-paid holidays going down the tubes and being confined to the house as a ‘vulnerable old person’ I’m not in the best of moods right now.
I'm sure there are lots of people working for BA right now who could only dream of having '£12k of pre-paid holidays going down the tubes'

But I digress.
Old May 17, 2020, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Just comparing the 787-10 and 777-200ER with Club Suites.

787-10 - 8F 48J 35W 165Y
777-200ER - 8F 49J 40W 138Y

They have pretty similar layouts so I guess the 787-10 could appear on the JFK route, especially if they want some more economy seats to cancel out of the fall in business demand.
Old May 17, 2020, 1:47 pm

Just comparing the 787-10 and 777-200ER with Club Suites.

787-10 - 8F 48J 35W 165Y
777-200ER - 8F 49J 40W 138Y

They have pretty similar layouts so I guess the 787-10 could appear on the JFK route, especially if they want some more economy seats to cancel out of the fall in business demand.
I believe that the 78X doesn't have crew bunks, so is limited in the length of routes it can fly. JFK isn't a wholly unrealistic route for them
Old May 17, 2020, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keiran Newberry
I believe that the 78X doesn't have crew bunks, so is limited in the length of routes it can fly. JFK isn't a wholly unrealistic route for them
If the 787-10 could fly Atlanta or Dallas Fort Worth ( already listed ), why shouldn't it fly New York JFK?
Old May 18, 2020, 1:54 am

If the 787-10 could fly Atlanta or Dallas Fort Worth ( already listed ), why shouldn't it fly New York JFK?
I never said it couldn't - I said it's not wholly unrealistic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.