Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What will LON-JFK look like in a few years?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What will LON-JFK look like in a few years?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Will AA entirely leave LHR-JFK to BA now they’re both moving to T8?
With all the issues we've seen in the past like the BA departure control system (Fly) doing down, crew or staff on strike (doesn't matter if reasonable or not) and other issues preventing us from doing LHR-JFK on BA I hope they keep some AA frequencies. Same goes for AA who could rely on BA if they have issues.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by El_Duderito
With all the issues we've seen in the past like the BA departure control system (Fly) doing down, crew or staff on strike (doesn't matter if reasonable or not) and other issues preventing us from doing LHR-JFK on BA I hope they keep some AA frequencies. Same goes for AA who could rely on BA if they have issues.
Indeed, it would make sense to keep AA frequencies, as the American Airlines credit card in the USA has perks on AA; there are people who prefer AA not because of oneworld but for their credit card perks such as priority boarding, extra baggage, etc...

Also Admirals Club members with no status or Ruby status; would prefer to use AA on this route.

If AA backs up and leaves the route to BA, they would lose a significant amount of customers to DL.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Indeed, it would make sense to keep AA frequencies, as the American Airlines credit card in the USA has perks on AA; there are people who prefer AA not because of oneworld but for their credit card perks such as priority boarding, extra baggage, etc...

Also Admirals Club members with no status or Ruby status; would prefer to use AA on this route.

If AA backs up and leaves the route to BA, they would lose a significant amount of customers to DL.
As pointed out on another thread, AA have just finished their 3 year leaseback in their buy and leaseback extra LHR slots, whether they will use them to increase frequency to NYC or start a new route (pros and cons of this during the challenging times) has yet to be seen.

But I very much doubt AA would pull out of JFK-LHR route all together.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 5:52 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by markzz2
Before the current crisis the LHR JFK route was planned to be all 787-10 and 777-200 (New Club Suites) by July.

Not sure whether this may change now as I am sure frequency will be reduced for many months.
I hadn’t heard that before?

By July this year? Before the current crisis there were definitely still 747s rostered on the route for the rest of summer and on the winter timetable. In fact I think the mix of aircraft for JFK was only showing 747s and 777s. Don’t think I had seen any 787 showing for JFK and I had made bookings for early 2021 before the crisis.
BAeuro likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:01 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Nice point.<br />They could start flights from Heathrow to<br />- Hartford ( Bradley )<br />- Providence<br />- Norfolk<br />- Rochester, NY<br />and some more minor US destinations<br /><br />or maybe<br /><br />MAN-JFK, EDI-JFK, GLA-JFK to compete with United
I'd love the service to the third of your fourth "minor" destinations and agree with the characterization, but ouch! And not to take this too far beyond BA, but I suspect the expansion of international service to such secondary airports as we've seen with Norwegian and Aer Lingus over the past several years is going the way of the dodo, especially as some of those airports here in the US, as well as in other countries, may soon (and for the foreseeable future) be almost flightless.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 11:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
There is a high amount of business travelers who are happy to pay 5k or 6k GBP for this route for their convenience.
)
for the record: the business travellers arent paying those prices. customers are.
i control my buying behaviour also by looking how those guys are travelling. and why...
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:17 am

Nice point.
They could start flights from Heathrow to
- Hartford ( Bradley )
- Providence
- Norfolk
- Rochester, NY
and some more minor US destinations

or maybe

MAN-JFK, EDI-JFK, GLA-JFK to compete with United
Some of those routes were tried out by Norwegian and we've seen what good it's made them!
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:58 am

Programs: Confirmed
Why is EWR excluded in this speculation? What’s wrong with it? And LGA?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I hadn’t heard that before?

By July this year? Before the current crisis there were definitely still 747s rostered on the route for the rest of summer and on the winter timetable. In fact I think the mix of aircraft for JFK was only showing 747s and 777s. Don’t think I had seen any 787 showing for JFK and I had made bookings for early 2021 before the crisis.
Indeed - I'm booked on 175 for a Monday in March 2021 and it's booked 744, as are the departures either side of it. After this crisis, they may not be. But, I'd have expected on to turn up if the plans hadn't changed
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by SKRan
Unless anything’s planning to be changed, you can’t fly a wide body into LGA. Although it’s the most convenient airport by far for getting into mid Manhattan.

I wonder if BA had ever considered LCY-LGA?
allturnleft likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I'd love the service to the third of your fourth "minor" destinations and agree with the characterization, but ouch! And not to take this too far beyond BA, but I suspect the expansion of international service to such secondary airports as we've seen with Norwegian and Aer Lingus over the past several years is going the way of the dodo, especially as some of those airports here in the US, as well as in other countries, may soon (and for the foreseeable future) be almost flightless.
Originally Posted by 13901
Some of those routes were tried out by Norwegian and we've seen what good it's made them!
Norwegian does not have a great connecting hub, BA would have the advantage of transfer passengers. For example, instead of a Rochester, NY based passenger flying ROC-ORD-CDG with United, he would have the option to fly ROC-LHR-CDG with BA.

By the way, as far as I realized, BA is doing well on its minor destinations in the USA such as Baltimore, Nashville, New Orleans, Charleston SC.

Originally Posted by Nephoi
for the record: the business travellers arent paying those prices. customers are.
i control my buying behaviour also by looking how those guys are travelling. and why...
You're right, however, there are some people who can't control themselves.

Originally Posted by SKRan
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
Unless anything’s planning to be changed, you can’t fly a wide body into LGA. Although it’s the most convenient airport by far for getting into mid Manhattan.

There is a 1500 mile perimeter rule at LGA which prohibits flights from destinations over 1500 miles. There was an article related to exemptions being given for several routes like SFO, LAX, etc... but I don't think that happened.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:54 am

Norwegian does not have a great connecting hub, BA would have the advantage of transfer passengers. For example, instead of a Rochester, NY based passenger flying ROC-ORD-CDG with United, he would have the option to fly ROC-LHR-CDG with BA.

By the way, as far as I realized, BA is doing well on its minor destinations in the USA such as Baltimore, Nashville, New Orleans, Charleston SC.
Nashville, New Orleans, Austin, Pittsburgh etc are what BA called 'Tier 2' cities. Rochester feels like Tier 3, if not 4, to me - with all due respect to Rochester which I'm sure is a delightful place. BA, like everyone else, lives in a world of finite resources: what is the route that gives the best ROIC, the best bang for the buck? If Rochester was it, then we'd have had that in lieu of Pittsburgh or Charleston or what have you.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road

you actually can have widebodies at LGA and has had 767, A300, DC10 and my fave L1011 back in the day.

but LGA is a perimeter restricted airport where no flights longer than 1500miles from LGA can use the airport--the only exception being DEN (1600mi).
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by VSLover
you actually can have widebodies at LGA and has had 767, A300, DC10 and my fave L1011 back in the day.

but LGA is a perimeter restricted airport where no flights longer than 1500miles from LGA can use the airport--the only exception being DEN (1600mi).
In fact, the DC-10 and L-1011 were partly designed specifically to be used at LGA. I flew many a DL L-1011 from LGA to ATL back in the 90s.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
In addition to the perimeter rule (excepting Saturday), LGA has no border facilities - it can only handle internal flights.

So even if the Babybus route was shorter, the immigration checks on departure (which are almost always carried out electronically) couldn't take place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.