Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flights not being cancelled correctly by BA...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights not being cancelled correctly by BA...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Note that BA Holidays bookings, and flight only bookings, are handled by different teams, follow different processes, and are going to have different communications.

Yes, the PNRs for both should be cancelled before flight - if any sectors you're not taking are still showing active in BA/QF/AY MMB, then contact BA to cancel them. MMB should be your evidence that a booking is canx.
Anonba likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
I had a flight a couple of weeks ago to Madrid that I phoned BA to cancel and claim a refund (they had also changed flight times so made my life easier!). They told me the flights were cancelled, but never actually cancelled the ticket, and I received my refund no problems at all.
The flights didn’t show as cancelled in MMB until after the first sector had departed (where I assume an automatic process kicked in).
Between the iPhone calls with BA and first sector departing, I received the usual check in emails etc, and when refreshing the booking a ticket number was always present etc.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yes, I called earlier today. I now have the value of the vouchers confirmed verbally but nothing in writing (email). I just have to hope for the best when I go to re-book that they consider the vouchers to be the same value then (with a different agent) than now.

I do appreciate that this has all been quite a rush job for BA but I also feel that they should not leave customers with no confirmation of their financial standing with BA. Most companies that I have dealt with always issue a credit note if goods are returned and I don't see that travel should be any different. It is just good business practice and quite possibly good accounting practice to always have it clear from both sides who owes what. BA is just saying "trust us" - it isn't very professional IMO
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Whenever I make a flight booking or change I always print out the confirmation. This details the amount paid, ticket number, avios (if used). I've found this very handy as a backup recently in case of BA IT woes. Had an avios reward flight saver and got the money back, not the avios. Had the printout to hand calling them on the phone (no wait at all BTW on gold line) and the missing avios were instantly returned.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:49 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Yes, I called earlier today. I now have the value of the vouchers confirmed verbally but nothing in writing (email). I just have to hope for the best when I go to re-book that they consider the vouchers to be the same value then (with a different agent) than now.
Thanks. Just to confirm, was the upgrade fee value included in the FTV value?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:52 pm

The voucher thing does seem to be a bit of a sham to me. Firstly due to it not being very user friendly, ie not telling you what it’s worth and making you phone to redeem.

Secondly, it’s really unclear who can use them. Myself and 2 colleagues were on a one way flight booking back from Moscow, I opted for the voucher as i couldn’t get through to BA and I knew I’d likely be able to use the value of the voucher on a future work booking. I assumed I’d get one code to the value of X which could be redeemed against any future booking by typing it into the voucher box when paying. To the average person, what I’ve now been sent us 3 random numbers (not even who’s is who’s) in a poorly formatted email with little information on how to use them and no indication of the value.

One of our colleagues has now left the business, so I think hers is now a total write off, but what’s also not clear is if we need to travel together in the original group for the remaining pair of us to use them in the future? It’s also not clear if they have to be used on a booking paid for in Russian Rubbles, as this was the booking currency.

I’ve had two more bookings cancelled this week and I’d have been happy to let BA keep my cash for vouchers because I would have found a use for them, but I now have very little faith in this system, so I’m now going for the full refund option each time, so this is now costing BA un-necessarily.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Joshm300
The voucher thing does seem to be a bit of a sham to me. Firstly due to it not being very user friendly, ie not telling you what it’s worth and making you phone to redeem.

Secondly, it’s really unclear who can use them. Myself and 2 colleagues were on a one way flight booking back from Moscow, I opted for the voucher as i couldn’t get through to BA and I knew I’d likely be able to use the value of the voucher on a future work booking. I assumed I’d get one code to the value of X which could be redeemed against any future booking by typing it into the voucher box when paying. To the average person, what I’ve now been sent us 3 random numbers (not even who’s is who’s) in a poorly formatted email with little information on how to use them and no indication of the value.

One of our colleagues has now left the business, so I think hers is now a total write off, but what’s also not clear is if we need to travel together in the original group for the remaining pair of us to use them in the future? It’s also not clear if they have to be used on a booking paid for in Russian Rubbles, as this was the booking currency.

I’ve had two more bookings cancelled this week and I’d have been happy to let BA keep my cash for vouchers because I would have found a use for them, but I now have very little faith in this system, so I’m now going for the full refund option each time, so this is now costing BA un-necessarily.
the numbers you have received are just probably the 125 ticket numbers which will relate to the person on that ticket you can match up by going to original booking and seeing what one is which.

you don't have to travel together the booking can be split but only the person named on original ticket can use the voucher
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
I have just gone for refunds, but if you do have a voucher, is there anywhere on your BA account page that you can see a list of vouchers and their value?

One of the reasons I have not taken vouchers is that we do not know what route availability there will be when things (hopefully soon) return to normality or the price of flights, and you could be tied into BA with reduced options...

As with many contributors to this forum, I will still plan to use BA after this is all over, it is a shame they could not have managed this better. I suspect some will be less inclined to fly with them given the difficulty in getting a refund...
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ademanuele
I have just gone for refunds, but if you do have a voucher, is there anywhere on your BA account page that you can see a list of vouchers and their value?

One of the reasons I have not taken vouchers is that we do not know what route availability there will be when things (hopefully soon) return to normality or the price of flights, and you could be tied into BA with reduced options...

As with many contributors to this forum, I will still plan to use BA after this is all over, it is a shame they could not have managed this better. I suspect some will be less inclined to fly with them given the difficulty in getting a refund...

[bold added]

And I suspect you could be correct.

I haven’t had the pleasure - so far - of coming into personal contact with vouchers. It’s been (fairly straightforward) cash refunds instead for me, but I have various other forward bookings with BA (quite likely to be cancelled by them) still to tackle, a little nearer the flight date.

At the end of March, I was intrigued to see a piece by one of the more popular travel bloggers headlined “British Airways evouchers for cancelled flights are arriving – and it’s a mess”.

I did wonder whether there was an element of intended exaggeration, especially as the blogger is perhaps not BA’s biggest fan. However, reading through your own experience here - along with that of several others across the thread - it would seem the comment was fully justified.

In particular, the blog article (and I honestly do not know if this remains the case with the very latest vouchers, or whether there have been tweaks / improvements ?) highlighted the fact that the voucher somehow managed to exclude several key elements, notably : a) its exact value, b) whether any deductions have been made, c) its expiry date, d) who it can be used by.

It does strike me as both depressing, and genuinely surprising, that an organisation with so many resources at its disposal is incapable - seemingly - of doing better much than this.
ademanuele and snaxmuppet like this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

No, vouchers are not shown online anywhere - tbh this is the same for normal evouchers. As your flights are cancelled I think refund is the better option anyway - at least BA will refund when asked unlike some other EU airlines I am having the misfortune to deal with.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Thanks. Just to confirm, was the upgrade fee value included in the FTV value?
No... they did not include the upgrade fee (£60 per person) so the value of the voucher is £120 less than I paid.

While I realise that in normal circumstances upgrade fees are non-refundable, I feel very strongly that in these circumstances they should be refunded. I can't even claim on my insurance because it is less than the excess!
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 6:40 am

Programs: Qantas, BA
BA cancelled 3 of my 4 flights, I booked them both as return flights and my Croatia flights were cancelled at the same time which is fine. But my AMS-LHR they have only cancelled one leg getting to LHR. Do I have to cancel the other or will they do it as it was a return booking? The last flight wasn't til mid June
Old Apr 16, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
I had two flight cancellations this morning (an hour apart), whilst on the second phone call I received an email notifying me of the cancellation of the second flight. I commented on the fact that I had not received an email for the earlier flight cancellation and the person I spoke to check and advised that it had not been cancelled properly, apparently BA are pulling in staff to help with calls and they do not always complete actions correctly, rather concerning… What would have happened if I did not ask the question??

Request to BA, your call centre staff are already over-stretched, allow customers to claim refunds online, this is sending out a wrong message at every level. Thank you.
just out of interest. What date was the flight for? Wondering when to expect my upcoming flights to get cancelled

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.