Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flights not being cancelled correctly by BA...

Old Apr 14, 20, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club

I had two flight cancellations this morning (an hour apart), whilst on the second phone call I received an email notifying me of the cancellation of the second flight. I commented on the fact that I had not received an email for the earlier flight cancellation and the person I spoke to check and advised that it had not been cancelled properly, apparently BA are pulling in staff to help with calls and they do not always complete actions correctly, rather concerning… What would have happened if I did not ask the question??

Request to BA, your call centre staff are already over-stretched, allow customers to claim refunds online, this is sending out a wrong message at every level. Thank you.
Old Apr 14, 20, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ademanuele View Post
I had two flight cancellations this morning (an hour apart), whilst on the second phone call I received an email notifying me of the cancellation of the second flight. I commented on the fact that I had not received an email for the earlier flight cancellation and the person I spoke to check and advised that it had not been cancelled properly, apparently BA are pulling in staff to help with calls and they do not always complete actions correctly, rather concerning… What would have happened if I did not ask the question??

Request to BA, your call centre staff are already over-stretched, allow customers to claim refunds online, this is sending out a wrong message at every level. Thank you.
I had a discussion too after receiving a cancellation email and the flight showed as cancelled on the app but the agent said it was still running when I asked for a refund. I feel sorry for the overstretched staff, there's obviously some issue at their end.
Old Apr 14, 20, 5:28 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
I think they are processing a large number of cancellations this morning, systems like email notifications etc will lag a bit, so you may need to give it some time before everything syncs up
Anonba likes this.
Old Apr 14, 20, 5:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond.
I had x3 cancellations this morning. No hurry as in May. Let the queues die down especially as BA has now forced the use of “new” layout in MMB. Which means the Cash refund workaround can’t be “tricked” in opening anymore, as disabling JS now stops you MMB in the first place!
Old Apr 14, 20, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have had 3 flights cancelled or I cancelled. So far I have had email notification of 2 of them. The other was a flight where I requested a voucher. I have not had any email notification about the cancellation or voucher and this is now after 4 weeks. I called the Gold line and they said the voucher was there so I just have to hope that it is honoured corrected when I get to rebook.

Yet more evidence of the poor standard of BA IT.
Old Apr 14, 20, 9:09 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Why is it that BA can get their IT so wrong, while Amex, for instance, and nowadays BT, seem to get it right? Is it just budgets and hacking, or is it their management?
Old Apr 14, 20, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet View Post
I have had 3 flights cancelled or I cancelled. So far I have had email notification of 2 of them. The other was a flight where I requested a voucher. I have not had any email notification about the cancellation or voucher and this is now after 4 weeks. I called the Gold line and they said the voucher was there so I just have to hope that it is honoured corrected when I get to rebook.
If you look in the wiki at the head of the main covid-19 clinic thread you'll find instructions (or, at least, a link to instructions) on how to use the Qantas website to check the existence and value of a BA voucher.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Apr 14, 20, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer View Post
Why is it that BA can get their IT so wrong, while Amex, for instance, and nowadays BT, seem to get it right? Is it just budgets and hacking, or is it their management?
It's gone on for so long it tells me the management just don't care.
Old Apr 15, 20, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
If you look in the wiki at the head of the main covid-19 clinic thread you'll find instructions (or, at least, a link to instructions) on how to use the Qantas website to check the existence and value of a BA voucher.
Thanks for that... I can see the existence but can't find where in the Qantas MMB I should look to get the value... any ideas?
Old Apr 15, 20, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks for that... I can see the existence but can't find where in the Qantas MMB I should look to get the value... any ideas?
There isn't anywhere on the QF MMB that shows that. You have to look at your original e-ticket emails to check that.
Old Apr 15, 20, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedThere isn't anywhere on the QF MMB that shows that. You have to look at your original e-ticket emails to check that.
Thanks.

This is yet another failing of BA IT. Just like a lot of people... I have 3 vouchers for flights not taken... nowhere can I see the value of those vouchers. It is no good just saying that it is the original amount paid because that isn't true. I had a cabin upgrade on one of the flights with a £120 upgrade fee that isn't refundable so the original amount paid doesn't exactly apply. It is very disconcerting to have thousands of pounds as a credit with BA and nothing official to confirm it.
Old Apr 15, 20, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks.

This is yet another failing of BA IT. Just like a lot of people... I have 3 vouchers for flights not taken... nowhere can I see the value of those vouchers. It is no good just saying that it is the original amount paid because that isn't true. I had a cabin upgrade on one of the flights with a £120 upgrade fee that isn't refundable so the original amount paid doesn't exactly apply. It is very disconcerting to have thousands of pounds as a credit with BA and nothing official to confirm it.
I agree it would be good to have the value quoted in the voucher email.

In your scenario isn't the value what you originally paid + the upgrade? In terms of upgrades all the cost of a POUG would be credited to the voucher. Not as sure on a normal fare upgrade which would include a change fee - you are right that fees for voluntary changes are usually not refunded back, but this is not a refund of course so perhaps you would get the full value of your upgrade and the fee? It may actually be worth you calling to ask what the value is just to clarify.
Old Apr 15, 20, 7:47 am

Res/change fees are non-refundable so won’t be added to the total but any additional value collected is and will be.
So if the original price paid was £250, you upgraded for £70 but later paid a £35 change fee for whatever reason, you would have £320 in the voucher.

Yes it would be nice if the emails could specify this. But given the speed with which this system had to be set up and the mechanism through which it was required to be handled, you can understand why they weren’t able to do it. For the vast majority of people it’ll be easy as they just make a booking and then don’t change it so the original amount will always be correct.
Old Apr 15, 20, 8:20 am

Programs: BA GGL
Well something is not right with the cancellation process -
Over the weekend we were invited to check in for cancelled and refunded flights.
Last week we had an email warning of possible disruption for a BA Holiday which we have already called to have refunded as the flights were cancelled a month ago (still to see any money however).
And today we got an email about another BA Holiday in late May which says 'your flight may be one of those cancelled.' which we have already cancelled and had the cancellation and 'voucher' email on 1 April.
Old Apr 15, 20, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Yes, have experienced same issues as vintagepilot. Unless you receive an email confirming cancellation (which is not consistently sent) then there is no clarity and no evidence that you have actually cancelled. I am making a note of the time/date and name of the person I speak to each time I cancel (have had to cancel 8 trips so far).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: