Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA May schedule - when do you think changes will be announced?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA May schedule - when do you think changes will be announced?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by seantheman
ANU-LGW...May 1st...Still operating, but waiting for the cancellation email.
We are doing the same on 13 May. I'm expecting a cancellation 2 weeks before.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Amb, Hilton Diamond
I assume that they're phasing in May's cancellations in order to avoid overwhelming the call centre. I've got MAN-LHR-ORD on the 7th May on the later flight, no sign of cancellation yet but I'm fairly sure it's coming
ttama likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Exec Club: Gold HHons:Diamond FB:Ivory Accor:Plat Hertz: PC USA:GlobalEntry
BA1327 NCL-LHR 8th May
BA1336 LHR-NCL 10th May
Cancelled by BA yesterday
Old Apr 7, 2020, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
All GOT flights cancelled through end of May.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 4:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Joeykins
I assume that they're phasing in May's cancellations in order to avoid overwhelming the call centre. I've got MAN-LHR-ORD on the 7th May on the later flight, no sign of cancellation yet but I'm fairly sure it's coming
I too have reservations in May; LAS (1st May), SIN, LAX, SYD and HKG with all flights in those itineraries showing as operating. I also have short haul flights showing as operating this month including this week, I'm resigned to the fact there is virtually no chance of any of those trips gong ahead.

These trips are necessary so not wanting refunds. I will wait for the inevitable cancellations so I can rebook them to travel at the earliest opportunity. As with all things in these crazy times I'm finding patience is becoming second nature.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:02 am

Easy to get a refund over the phone for my lux flight. Told to wait a month for the refund though.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by Joeykins
I assume that they're phasing in May's cancellations in order to avoid overwhelming the call centre.
This would make sense, yes, But if it really was the case that they were working towards an organized wind-down of services for May, why would they keep selling seats on routes they don't intend to operate?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
I just had Milan flights for the second May bank holiday (22-25th) cancelled, seems pretty aggressive given Italy might potentially be exiting down by then - I guess BA take a dim view of recovery prospects
Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by T8191
I get the impression from the posts above that UK Domestics are the first ones on BA’s list, e.g. NCL, INV.
INV - HIAL the operator announced on the 26th March that the airport would be closing to all scheduled flights and routine general aviation traffic from 29th March. The airport has said it will remain closed until current government guidance on social distancing remains in place. HIAL have said that the airport will remain closed for very short period of time once current guidance is relaxed.

NCL - I know this post is about flights in May. However the reason BA suspended the route in the first place might be the same reason it was dropped in for May

BA were advised on 26th March by the airports management of the intention to restrict the hours of operation from 30th March. From 30th March the airports daily hours of operation were reduced from 24 down to just 4 with flights restricted to operate between 0800-1200 daily. ATC, Airfield Ops, Ground Handling and Terminal Facilities all operate during the restricted hours. Airlines operating at NCL are restricted to the same operational times. The airport and ATC is now closed daily at 1201-0759 daily. The restricted hours are planned to continue to at least early May.

Of the 25 flights scheduled to operate to LHR over the next 14 days, there were only 3 that would have been able to operate.
With only couple of days before the new restrictions BA decided to cancel its flights as the only way Of making the restriction daily would involve having to make changes to more than one other route. NCL have made further changes since the route was suspended. Number of operational days now varies between 4 and 5 weekly.

With no sign of NCL ending there current restrictions and with no indications by the airport to increase current 5 x weekly operation with Daily. BA probably decided to cancel the route due the airports very restrictive guarantee and no guarantee from NCL that the airport would operate daily in May.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Scotflyer80
BA were advised on 26th March by the airports management of the intention to restrict the hours of operation from 30th March. From 30th March the airports daily hours of operation were reduced from 24 down to just 4 with flights restricted to operate between 0800-1200 daily. ATC, Airfield Ops, Ground Handling and Terminal Facilities all operate during the restricted hours. Airlines operating at NCL are restricted to the same operational times. The airport and ATC is now closed daily at 1201-0759 daily. The restricted hours are planned to continue to at least early May.
Thanks for this. I had read the following on the NCL website:
Newcastle International Airport is open and fully operational. However, due to the Government's travel restriction advice many flights have been cancelled. We encourage any passengers with questions regarding travel advice to follow guidance given by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office or to contact their airline.
That was in the Covid FAQ section, I hadn't noticed this in the main text above the FAQ. I guess it's difficult for the airports to keep things up to date in all places.
In response to the reduced flying schedule, we have temporarily reduced the airfield's hours of operation, although this is being reviewed regularly.
It's the same yesterday when I looked at the LHR website. It mentioned T3 and 4 will close over the coming weeks but the FAQ said all terminals were remaining open.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:46 am

Programs: BA, VS, AZ
Originally Posted by alexwuk
I just had Milan flights for the second May bank holiday (22-25th) cancelled, seems pretty aggressive given Italy might potentially be exiting down by then - I guess BA take a dim view of recovery prospects
I think all Italy flights have been suspended until June now, although if needed (and Italy allows entry) AZ have a decent number of flights LHR-FCO and then connecting domestic flights. So if Italy reopens in May I'll look at booking on Alitalia.

I'm glad to see BA has done its bit to make me sign up to FlyerTalk (usually just lurk) with BA refund helper as I was having difficulty getting through on the phone and trying to access MMB directs me to the new style page where the JavaScript hack doesn't work. We shouldn't need BA refund helper but we certainly appreciate his efforts.
ttama likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by davidmcguinness
I'm glad to see BA has done its bit to make me sign up to FlyerTalk (usually just lurk) .
And I'm also glad to see you here. Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum davidmcguinness, it's good of you to join up here, if everyone lurked it wouldn't be very interesting!
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:32 am

Is it true that BA are cancelling flights departing LGW only 2 x weeks before departure dates? Our route still being sold May 1st.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Tilly71
Is it true that BA are cancelling flights departing LGW only 2 x weeks before departure dates? Our route still being sold May 1st.
BA are working through the cancellation list on one hand, whilst still speculatively selling on the other. It’s very confusing for we common mortals! I coukd suggest they’re hoing to get some cash bookings to help them over the hump!!

A bunch of us here have LGW flights to/from a non-operating airport to other non-operating airports ... we’re just waiting for our 10/11 May flights on 2 closed routes to 2 closed airports to be formally cancelled. 🤪
essexadventurer and Tilly71 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by T8191
A bunch of us here have LGW flights to/from a non-operating airport to other non-operating airports ... we’re just waiting for our 10/11 May flights on 2 closed routes to 2 closed airports to be formally cancelled. 🤪
Looking at my LGW cancellation flow, I'd say you are about 5 or 6 days away from being cancelled. There is a good reason to stagger the cancellations, namely to give some chance of getting through to the Contact Centres. I've had 8 LGW cancellations for April and May now.
essexadventurer and T8191 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.