Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FCO advises against all global travel for 30 days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hawk777
Mass cancellation due for 18 March to 1 April
Do you know if they are still working through these? All the LAS-LHR BA 274 flights from tomorrow on are still showing scheduled, and I would really like them to be cancelled.

Might have to take the voucher...
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I thought the FCO advice would make claiming on an insurance policy (Aviva) easier. in my case it seems to preclude a claim. If my flight is cancelled I can usually claim for delay / abandonment. However the policy says :

You should be aware that this policy does not provide Cancellation or Abandonment cover in the event that the FCO issue a Travel Advisory against all travel or all but essential travel to a particular country, unless you have selected the Travel Disruption optional cover. (the optional cover of course I don't have).

I could argue that the fCO advisory is for all countries not a particular one but i doubt that would get very far. Luckily I also have cover through my employer which is more generous following FCO advice which is handy because I have 2 weeks of a non-refundable Novotel booking and Accor seem to be the one intransigent hotel group when it comes to refunds.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:37 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by PaulN
I thought the FCO advice would make claiming on an insurance policy (Aviva) easier. in my case it seems to preclude a claim. If my flight is cancelled I can usually claim for delay / abandonment. However the policy says :

You should be aware that this policy does not provide Cancellation or Abandonment cover in the event that the FCO issue a Travel Advisory against all travel or all but essential travel to a particular country, unless you have selected the Travel Disruption optional cover. (the optional cover of course I don't have).

I could argue that the fCO advisory is for all countries not a particular one but i doubt that would get very far. Luckily I also have cover through my employer which is more generous following FCO advice which is handy because I have 2 weeks of a non-refundable Novotel booking and Accor seem to be the one intransigent hotel group when it comes to refunds.
Isn’t this type of situation exactly what they should cover?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by PaulN

That is really disappointing and prompted me to check my insurance:

What you are covered for

If you have to cancel or cut short your trip because of one of the reasons listed below we will pay up to the amount shown in the table of benefits on page 5 for:
  • Travel and accommodation expenses that you have paid or have agreed to pay under a contract and which you cannot get back, including any local prepaid excursions, tours or activities, if it is necessary and you cannot avoid cancelling or cutting short your trip; and
  • Reasonable extra travel costs if it is necessary and you cannot avoid cutting short your trip.
The following are reasons we will accept for you cancelling or cutting short your trip:

9. You cannot commence travel to your intended destination due to the (FCO) Foreign and Commonwealth Office advice for your destination/location changing to as a minimum ‘all but essential travel’ after the purchase of your policy or after the booking of any individual trip, whichever is the latter. This also applies to where such FCO advice changes are announced after you have commenced your trip/holiday.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg
I wonder if the FCO 30 days means starting from 18th? Would it be travel up to and including 16th April? Or is up to 15th April?
Does anyone know?
Why worry - the directive will most likely be extended
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Having just read this long thread and double checked the FCO website, it actually says "International Travel". As of now, I can't see that this includes domestic travel. There's so much info being posted, all really helpful but it's just difficult to see the wood through the trees. .

I presume BA are still planning on operating domestic services for the time being for those needing to travel.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xvirginx
Having just read this long thread and double checked the FCO website, it actually says "International Travel". As of now, I can't see that this includes domestic travel. There's so much info being posted, all really helpful but it's just difficult to see the wood through the trees. .

I presume BA are still planning on operating domestic services for the time being for those needing to travel.
they are never gonna include domestic travel unless they put country on lockdown as then that includes tube trains buses coaches etc etc so would leave insurance industry bankrupt let alone anything else
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
The domestic schedule will inevitably reduce also, but it is about the only avenue of making money that BA has open to it at the moment.

There are of course longer term bookings for flights/holidays outside the UK, but I would be surprised if the FCO advice expires after the 30 days and there will likely be a fresh tranche of cancellations and refunds issued also.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
The domestic schedule will inevitably reduce also, but it is about the only avenue of making money that BA has open to it at the moment.

There are of course longer term bookings for flights/holidays outside the UK, but I would be surprised if the FCO advice expires after the 30 days and there will likely be a fresh tranche of cancellations and refunds issued also.
So currently
How is the domestic schedule running?

For example. LGW to Edinburgh how many scheduled flights per day 4,5, or 6

How many if any of these are being cancelled?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
So currently
How is the domestic schedule running?

For example. LGW to Edinburgh how many scheduled flights per day 4,5, or 6

How many if any of these are being cancelled?
The usual BA 5/day running JER/LGW. https://www.jerseyairport.com/flight...x?DisplayAll=1
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by xvirginx

The clue is in the F of FCO.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
There are quite a few posts about people talking about departures late in 2020 being affected - Is this based on the belief that the FCO advice will just be extended and extended, or that demand will simply be so low that the flights will therefore not operate?

I’m expecting this to have blown over by the summer which is why I ask - is this being wildly optimistic?!
I’m with you! I’m travelling end of July (Hawaii and Tahiti on honeymoon) and assumed things would have settled down by then. Reading this thread has got me panicking a little.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.