Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
BA rebooking to QR as post 1225 in "BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice" thread

BA have released a guideline for rebooking cancelled services onto QR services that are still operating:
Published today (30-Mar-2020) at 5:26pm
Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA flight is now CANCELLED
Rebook onto: Qatar Airways
Routes/Airports affected: Any cancelled British Airways service where QR also operate the route via DOH, e.g. SYD-LHR rebook onto SYD-DOH-LHR
Tickets issued by: 28 March 2020
Ticket travel dates: 29 March – 30 June 2020
New travel dates: Up to and including 30 June 2020
<snip>
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

BA16 SYD-SIN-LHR May be others
24 March Tuesday
BA16 did not allow LHR passengers to board, due to Singapore no transit rule enacted 23:59 23-03-2020
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

25 March Wednesday
BA16 did not allow passengers to board. Flight delayed 24 hrs
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

Navylad_freind x 3

26 March Thursday
BA16 SIN transit exemption granted late 25/03/20 as post 664
2 flights scheduled BA16D 16:30 & BA16 18:30 Both left late
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77
I Claudius
I Claudius_+1
Navylad_freind x 3

27 March Friday
Sanjenni_daughter ADL-SYD-SIN-LHR-GLA

28 March Saturday
?

29 March Sunday
WesSnipes MEL-SYD-SIN-LHR
flyo MEL-SYD, SYD-SIN-LHR
cahillpm SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB
cahillpm_+1 SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB

30 March Monday
?

31 March Tuesday
Wayne Kisbee ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR
Wayne Kisbee_+1 ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR

to

9 April Thursday
Last flight BA to LHR as post 866 and 902
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

Print Wikipost

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
FWIW, I think this is sound advice. Transiting the USA will be challenging and, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but, don't you also need valid ESTA or eTA to transit the USA or Canada.
USA does not have the concept of "transit". You formally enter requiring ESTA, visa or equal depending on passport held, customs & security. Many countries have air-side transit: not USA. Only land side

Around the world there will be people who will not able to get home
Silver Fox and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
FWIW, I think this is sound advice. Transiting the USA will be challenging and, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but, don't you also need valid ESTA or eTA to transit the USA or Canada.
I'm not convinced. As before, if OP has been in NZ for long enough he's not affected by the travel ban and can transit (or technically stay).
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by cauchy
I'm not convinced. As before, if OP has been in NZ for long enough he's not affected by the travel ban and can transit (or stay).
if he doesn't have an esta, he'll need to apply for one soon then.

I just hope he and his party get home ok!
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
I initially thought the Canada idea was a good one. However, others have pointed out that countries not allowing airside transit are a bad idea, due to the possibility of regulations changing. I hadn't thought of that and it's a very good point. If this were me, I would consider Australia, USA and Canada as non starters for this reason. This means you have to go west, via Asia or the Middle East.

One thing I will say is this:

​​​​​​​If you want to go, go now. Do not hang around. Countries are being locked down and flights are being cancelled, left, right and centre. There is no guarantee that anything that is happening today will continue to be happening tomorrow.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I think a Canada transit would still be safe. Our government doesn't believe that travel bans work. They advise Canadians not to travel abroad but have no qualms with anyone travelling here

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...#comments-area

That being said how you could get to Canada from Auckland is another question. Options like through Japan or Hong Kong you could just as easily get a flight from there directly home to the UK
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I initially thought the Canada idea was a good one. However, others have pointed out that countries not allowing airside transit are a bad idea, due to the possibility of regulations changing. I hadn't thought of that and it's a very good point. If this were me, I would consider Australia, USA and Canada as non starters for this reason. This means you have to go west, via Asia or the Middle East.
Australia does allow air-side transits. And have been reports of that being OK with separate tickets with carry-on or bags interlined. But will depend on the detailed circumstances, passports, airlines, etc.

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
I think a Canada transit would still be safe. Our government doesn't believe that travel bans work. They advise Canadians not to travel abroad but have no qualms with anyone travelling here

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...#comments-area

That being said how you could get to Canada from Auckland is another question. Options like through Japan or Hong Kong you could just as easily get a flight from there directly home to the UK
Air NZ flying AKL-YVR until end of the month. Just been announced Air NZ reducing long haul by 85% at 30 March. But Air NZ LAX-LHR stopping in a few days
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Australia will allow international arriving passengers to go straight onto a domestic flight to get to their destination, so I don't see any difference from that if you went straight onto an international flight on the same day.

Obviously you need whatever the entry clearance you need for Australia but otherwise, I'd say it should be OK, but I suggest you contact Australian high commission to check.

Then, you can take a QF or ANZ flight into SYD. I have known QF to make an occasional exception to the no-through-check rules (apparently more likely if one of the flights is revenue and the other is on points, because they can't be issued on the same ticket, but I had it done on two separate revenue tickets too).

With all the uncertainties, I'd suggest you move very quickly before more flights ex-Australia/ex-NZ start getting cancelled.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Australia does allow air-side transits. And have been reports of that being OK with separate tickets with carry-on or bags interlined. But will depend on the detailed circumstances, passports, airlines, etc.

Air NZ flying AKL-YVR until end of the month. Just been announced Air NZ reducing long haul by 85% at 30 March. But Air NZ LAX-LHR stopping in a few days
But as far into March as I can see on EF both the AC and NZ AKL-YVR flights are zero'd out in all classes. Everyone is fleeing back to Canada
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Richardc77
Many thanks to all who have posted. We’re up near Mount Cook with little reception until we fly back to Auckland from Christchurch tomorrow afternoon so theoretically the earliest we fly International is the day after 18th. We have zero international call options on our spark pre paid sim but am trying to find a way to load it with credit!

Any further thoughts please keep them coming, we will check the forum when signal allows! Thanks again 🍻
IMHO time is of the essence here, as the situation is very fluid. I would look at getting to CHC ASAP so you can get proper phone reception (use Skype as others have suggested) to make travel arrangements before a possible complete shutdown. I would suggest flying directly from CHC to save time (either to SYD if you can find an earlier flight on BA or any international services direct from CHC on EK or SQ). If you're truly serious about your desire not to get stuck in NZ, then don't be complacent by squeezing every last day out of your holiday).
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by RafKa
If you're truly serious about your desire not to get stuck in NZ, then don't be complacent by squeezing every last day out of your holiday).
Very true. I cut down my stay in Europe by a week, and still been 'got at' by various restrictions. I had to give up my stay in Singapore and transit straight through. I am disappointed because I was looking forward to it! When I get to Australia, I'll have to serve the 14-day self-isolation too.
wrp96, RafKa and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RafKa
IMHO time is of the essence here, as the situation is very fluid. I would look at getting to CHC ASAP so you can get proper phone reception (use Skype as others have suggested) to make travel arrangements before a possible complete shutdown. I would suggest flying directly from CHC to save time (either to SYD if you can find an earlier flight on BA or any international services direct from CHC on EK or SQ). If you're truly serious about your desire not to get stuck in NZ, then don't be complacent by squeezing every last day out of your holiday).
EK fly the A380 CHC SYD [EK413] at 18:45 every day (currently). Many other airlines (VA NZ) have flights CHC to Aust at ~06:00. Not many(none?) international to SYD later in the day. QF132 CHC MEL at 13:30 and JQ CHC MEL at 21:05 but not every day (even before the current situation).
A lot more flights from AKL
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Seems to me the best idea is to just go home. Call your airlines/travel insurance provider and just get home asap. Even if you're not sick, the regulations are going to get tighter and tighter and more borders are going to close. Just go home, you can always go back to Australia at some other time.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Back from mount cook!

I do wonder why the Australians would want us for 10 more days than our 4 we have booked in Sydney if we could get on a plane after 4 days (assuming BA still run the Tuesday flight next week 24th) we are booked onto already. Makes no sense to keep people for longer if they can get out.

I haven’t been able to even get through to any BA line as yet!
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Richardc77
Back from Mount Cook!

I do wonder why the Australians would want us for 10 more days than our 4 we have booked in Sydney if we could get on a plane after 4 days (assuming BA still run the Tuesday flight next week 24th) we are booked onto already. Makes no sense to keep people for longer if they can get out.

I haven’t been able to even get through to any BA line as yet!
In Christchurch or Auckland?
On Au TV has been stated can stay in a hotel and then to your next international flight. They would be assuming overnight

From a QF thread
Originally Posted by gravii
Advice is published - though only covers domestic transit. https://www.health.gov.au/sites/defa...avellers_0.pdf

All travellers must isolate for a period of 14 days after they have entered Australia.If you need to transit domestically, you may complete this transit and then begin your precautionary 14 day self-isolation period. If you have a layover, you must remain in the airport or self-isolate in your accommodation for the transit period. Refer to the ‘Isolation guidance’ information sheet for further information.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

Then, you can take a QF or ANZ flight into SYD. I have known QF to make an occasional exception to the no-through-check rules (apparently more likely if one of the flights is revenue and the other is on points, because they can't be issued on the same ticket, but I had it done on two separate revenue tickets too).
It is policy that QF will check bags through between paid and award travel - if it is not between paid and award, expect to have to collect luggage and plan accordingly - I wouldn;t gamble that someone will ignore the long term policy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.