Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
BA rebooking to QR as post 1225 in "BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice" thread

BA have released a guideline for rebooking cancelled services onto QR services that are still operating:
Published today (30-Mar-2020) at 5:26pm
Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA flight is now CANCELLED
Rebook onto: Qatar Airways
Routes/Airports affected: Any cancelled British Airways service where QR also operate the route via DOH, e.g. SYD-LHR rebook onto SYD-DOH-LHR
Tickets issued by: 28 March 2020
Ticket travel dates: 29 March – 30 June 2020
New travel dates: Up to and including 30 June 2020
<snip>
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

BA16 SYD-SIN-LHR May be others
24 March Tuesday
BA16 did not allow LHR passengers to board, due to Singapore no transit rule enacted 23:59 23-03-2020
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

25 March Wednesday
BA16 did not allow passengers to board. Flight delayed 24 hrs
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

Navylad_freind x 3

26 March Thursday
BA16 SIN transit exemption granted late 25/03/20 as post 664
2 flights scheduled BA16D 16:30 & BA16 18:30 Both left late
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77
I Claudius
I Claudius_+1
Navylad_freind x 3

27 March Friday
Sanjenni_daughter ADL-SYD-SIN-LHR-GLA

28 March Saturday
?

29 March Sunday
WesSnipes MEL-SYD-SIN-LHR
flyo MEL-SYD, SYD-SIN-LHR
cahillpm SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB
cahillpm_+1 SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB

30 March Monday
?

31 March Tuesday
Wayne Kisbee ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR
Wayne Kisbee_+1 ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR

to

9 April Thursday
Last flight BA to LHR as post 866 and 902
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:38 am
Original Poster

We’re UK residents (virus free!) in NZ and have flights from Auckland to Sydney next Weds viA ANZ then flight out of Sydney with BA 5 days later via 241...the rules for self-isolation in Aus are mighty low on specific details but we don't want to get there to spend 4 days in a hotel room.

Are we better off trying to change our ANZ flight to the day of the Sydney to UK BA flight, with the assumption they’ll allow us to transit through the airport to departures even though we will have to go through customs and then check in? Some people seem to be suggesting there will be issues with transit but I assume if you have homeward bound flight booked, they’d want you to be on it and leaving the country!

Thoughts?

Moderator Note: 3 threads have been merged into one, so that it is easier for those who are in a similar situation to find help and information. The title has been edited accordingly.
LTN Phobia, Moderator: BA Forum

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 23, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Richardc77
We’re UK residents (virus free!) in NZ and have flights from Auckland to Sydney next Weds viA ANZ then flight out of Sydney with BA 5 days later via 241...the rules for self-isolation in Aus is low on details but we don't want to get there to spend 4 days in a hotel room.

Are we better off trying to change our ANZ flight to the day of the Sydney to UK BA flight, with the assumption they’ll allow us to transit through the airport to departures even though we will have to go through customs and then check in? Some people seem to be suggesting there will be issues with transit but I assume if you have homeward bound flight booked, they’d want you to be on it and leaving the country!

Thoughts?
sorry to hear about about your predicament, to be brutally blunt: BA is already reviewing their SIN-SYD-SIN rotation due to the announcement by the Australian government and they are in the process of making addjustments, most likely cancellations, in line with many other destinations who start imposing travel restrictions. Not wanting to scare you but I would start thinking about a Plan B and C how to get home, as I guess your options are limited.
if BA pulls the SYD flights, do you have travel insurance? If you do I would start talking to them anyhow and see what th3y can do to assist you within their policy.
hope you make it home ok and soon
wrp96, Richardc77 and Owenc like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
We’re UK residents (virus free!) in NZ and have flights from Auckland to Sydney next Weds viA ANZ then flight out of Sydney with BA 5 days later via 241...the rules for self-isolation in Aus are mighty low on specific details but we don't want to get there to spend 4 days in a hotel room.

Thoughts?
I would check that the Australians will allow you to go landside on your layover. I think that's a pretty big assumption to make in the current climate
wrp96, Richardc77 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcyguy
I would check that the Australians will allow you to go landside on your layover. I think that's a pretty big assumption to make in the current climate
Crikey...but who to check with? Nobody seems to know online, who can you.check with who actually knows? It all seems rather like a piss up in a brewery
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:55 am

Crikey...but who to check with? Nobody seems to know online, who can you.check with who actually knows? It all seems rather like a piss up in a brewery
Have you tried the British Embassy/High Comission in NZ, the FCO have been pretty good at updating advice on this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:59 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Cw novice
Have you tried the British Embassy/High Comission in NZ, the FCO have been pretty good at updating advice on this.

or equally the Australian high commission in NZ
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Will go through the process advised in the morning...if we go to Sydney is it even clear if we only have to self isolate for the 4 nights we are booked there or the full 14 days?

it’s all well and good making these statements but they really should explain all the friggin scenarios somewhere! Grrr
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:08 am

it’s all well and good making these statements but they really should explain all the friggin scenarios somewhere! Grrr
There are far too many scenarios to explain each one individually, I'm afraid.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rossmacd
There are far too many scenarios to explain each one individually, I'm afraid.
Really, how many?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
The Australian ABC news network is inviting people to “ask a covid-19 question you would like us to investigate”. Worth a try? See the on-line form at the bottom of this news article about the quarantine annoucement.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-...ralia/12057772
Richardc77 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: BA EC
BBC News is reporting that all arivals in to Australia must self isolate fro 14 days commencing today, Sunday 15 March.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In some ways it’s dead simple - if you pass through immigration the quarantine rules apply. The grey area is around international transit without passing through immigration.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
I don't suppose there is an air side hotel like there is in Doha so you could stay the 4 days there and not enter the country.... Long shot I guess....

Send you luggage home by DHL/Fedex or whoever so you can travel hand baggage only, they are after all your dirty washing.
When you are hand baggage only see if you can get a seat through DOH on QR. I would just try to get home and forget your 2 for 1. I'm sure you can get some sort of voucher from BA later.
LCY8737, percysmith and wrp96 like this.

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit

Thoughts?
An option, if you can match the AKL-SYD and SYD-LHR flights to the same day, is to travel with hand baggage only. You could have the rest of your luggage dispatched by air or sea courier. It’s a faff and there are costs involved. However, it would avoid the need to go landslide in SYD, assuming airside connections are permitted under quarantine rules. In the present circumstances I’d swallow the cost and mild inconvenience to get me home.

I looked to see if there is availability on the Qatar AKL-DOH-LON flights but the AKL-DOH service appears to have been cancelled.

EDIT: I forgot the AKL-DOH on QR is not daily. It has seats available this week, at a cost of around NZ$1100 in economy, NZ$3000 in business for a one-way ticket.

Last edited by Mapman; Mar 15, 2020 at 4:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.