Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:21 am

We were booked LHR-KUL SYD-SIN-LHR. We phoned yesterday and we weren't offered any alternatives on other airlines for KUL, or SYD. Is this correct under the 261 rules? thanks team. We have been offered a refund on SYD-SIN and then a change to SIN from KUL.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rhysflies
Ah ok, thanks.
Quick question - for rebooking, is there any restrictions on rerouting within 355 days of original booking date or the travel dates? Or can I (for example) wait until February and then re-book 355 days from that point?
OK, I think is confusing a few things. The IATA ticketing validity is 365 days from ticket issue, not strictly speaking booking date but it often is the same. BA release flights for a window of 354 or 355 days in most (but not all) circumstances, other Joint Business routes and codeshares can be as low as 330 days, and codeshares are manually built anyway. You can take yourself off a current flight without providing a new date, I think it gets one of those internal dummy dates instead. When you do rebook, you still need to be in the 365 days of my second sentence, with some theoretical wriggle room if you have already taken the first flight. So if you wait until February yiu're not pushing the timescale out.

But my general advice, is (a) don't rush, wait to see what new options come up later, and (b) avoid making maybe bookings, though that's clearly isn't what people want to hear.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by whiteheatsyd
We were booked LHR-KUL SYD-SIN-LHR. We phoned yesterday and we weren't offered any alternatives on other airlines for KUL, or SYD. Is this correct under the 261 rules? thanks team. We have been offered a refund on SYD-SIN and then a change to SIN from KUL.
Yes, that's the current offer, and potentially within EC261, unless you are able to delay SYD-SIN until services resume. However as mentioned above, you may be best to wait until alternative services are offered.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
Many thanks. I will call again.

jeremy
even i got told that today! i usually email when i have a few trips to sort. 2x ba metal only bookings for next feb, have had at least one flight cancellation on both, asked to move to aug and sep. exactly same routing. email comes back today you can only move them -3/+14 days otherwise you need same booking class.

a curt email has been sent back and referenced the correct policy
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
I paid the balance due on my BAH booking to Antigua in Jan on Tuesday, only for it to be £250 cheaper each in the sale loaded today.

Ideally, I'd like to cancel and re-book the exact same trip at the lower price. Is a FTV the best way to do this, and can it all be done online? Or should I call?

Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by The_Editor
I paid the balance due on my BAH booking to Antigua in Jan on Tuesday, only for it to be £250 cheaper each in the sale loaded today.

Ideally, I'd like to cancel and re-book the exact same trip at the lower price. Is a FTV the best way to do this, and can it all be done online? Or should I call?
You will probably have to call since it depends on the cancellation restrictions on your hotel or car hire or experience, unless you noted them during the booking process. But in theory you can cancel online for an FTV and with it then rebook.
The_Editor likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:13 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
OK, I think is confusing a few things. The IATA ticketing validity is 365 days from ticket issue, not strictly speaking booking date but it often is the same. BA release flights for a window of 354 or 355 days in most (but not all) circumstances, other Joint Business routes and codeshares can be as low as 330 days, and codeshares are manually built anyway. You can take yourself off a current flight without providing a new date, I think it gets one of those internal dummy dates instead. When you do rebook, you still need to be in the 365 days of my second sentence, with some theoretical wriggle room if you have already taken the first flight. So if you wait until February yiu're not pushing the timescale out.

But my general advice, is (a) don't rush, wait to see what new options come up later, and (b) avoid making maybe bookings, though that's clearly isn't what people want to hear.
Confusing! So in my case, I booked flights to BKK in February 2020 355 days in advance for a trip in Feb 2021.
Does that mean I can't reroute at a later date as I'm already within 365 days of ticket issue?
Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
is there any rule on redemption bookings including Gold Upgrade vouchers ? for rebooking on another airline where BA is stopping the route altogether. One rep mentioned same class will be rebooked irrespective of vouchers used, another said no vouchers on other airlines, so the Avios difference will have to be redeemed.

Last edited by banzani; Dec 17, 2020 at 7:08 am
Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Arsey00
I tried to get through to BA early this morning to cancel a flight scheduled for this morning. I was just given a series of other telephone numbers to try. I called the UK Gold line, was given an 0207 number that said they would open at 8am, so I tried calling the US number. Again I was give another number, that number also said it was closed and gave me an even later time to call. MMB told me I had to deal with it by phone. When I finally got through, the flight had just left, by about 8 minutes I would estimate. The Gold CS I spoke to said that I should have been able to get through because they are open 24 hours, so the booking is lost. She spoke to a manager who confirmed that.

It's a ET Avios booking so it's not the end of the world if it's actually lost, but it doesn't seem right to be told that I "should have been able to" get through to them, when clearly I couldn't. Does this sound right?

TIA
In complete contrast, I rang this afternoon and was through in a matter of minutes. Unfortunately, as the booking was a redemption, I was redirected and again after a couple of minutes was through to the relevant department. The guy who sorted my re-booking was excellent and it was sorted in a very short time.
I was 'dug in' expecting a protracted phone call, but I was impressed at how quickly it was sorted.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by rhysflies
Confusing! So in my case, I booked flights to BKK in February 2020 355 days in advance for a trip in Feb 2021.
Does that mean I can't reroute at a later date as I'm already within 365 days of ticket issue?
It's not entirely clear.

When was your ticket issued? If was immediately after you booked, then your ticket expires 365 days later. If your ticket was issued on 20 February 2020, your ticket expires on 19 February 2021. If you booked 355 days in advance it suggests to me that it was an Avios ticket, though I guess it could be a commercial ticket. In both cases you are close to running out of options unless perhaps you had the ticket reissued for some reason. You can get a full refund, and if you wait you may be offered another service within 14 days of this (or whatever the agreement with the other airline says).

The one aspect where EC261 takes no notice is the IATA expiry principle, but BA struggles with this. There is no requirement to expire the ticket at 365 days in EC261, but BA finds it difficult to accept that.

Pragmatically you should wait to see what happens. If you really want something booked now then I'd be looking around for Avios redemptions to BKK on QR or alternatives. If the bill ends up more then that's something for CR after travel has been completed.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by banzani
is there any rule on redemption bookings including Gold Upgrade vouchers ? for rebooking on another airline where BA is stopping the route altogether. One rep mentioned same class will be rebooked irrespective of vouchers used, another said no vouchers on other airlines, so the Avios difference will have to be redeemed.
Depends on the circumstances, if it was a Joint Business route I'd expect a full transfer including GUF. If it was an attempt to rebook on QR then I can't see that getting anywhere.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
thx - would AY from ICN fall under that definition ?
Old Dec 17, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You will probably have to call since it depends on the cancellation restrictions on your hotel or car hire or experience, unless you noted them during the booking process. But in theory you can cancel online for an FTV and with it then rebook.
Thanks as always for the speedy and helpful reply.

I called up and the agent was able to do some jiggery pokery with flight prices and room types, the net result of which was a refund of about £300 and a room upgrade - so I'm very happy with that! It seemed a lot less faff than waiting for an FTV and a risk of the price changing again in that time.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by banzani
thx - would AY from ICN fall under that definition ?
Yes, that would be allowed -3 days to +14 days under the Siberian Joint Business. On that JB only Iberia forces redemptions into redemptions.
banzani likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
Hi CWS,

Need a bit of help, if you could please!

Booked SEZ for end of May, to give corona some time to settle etc, and it was in the 50% avios offer so I booked in F.

1. I can't travel any earlier, would be a bit risky health-wise etc.
2. Don't really want a refund (it felt like I was robbing BA blind when I got the deal)
3. They want to book me QR in J, and I don't really want that either (i'll settle for it if I have to)

Ideally, they either book me somewhere in zone 6 (like LAX?) at a time of my choosing, or put me on EK F.

Am I having notions of grandeur here? or is this somewhat within the realm of possibilities? cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.