Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gcuk
What is the MCT BA to AA and AA to BA at JFK? I've searched and have different answers, ranging from 1hr15mins to 2 hours?
I recall there is a footnote on the guidance somewhere which extends the MCT and in the past, I've experienced issues with AA flight numbers but operated by BA as that seems to fool the MCT until closer to departure time.
all T7 to T8 connections in either direction have an MCT of 2 hours.
jerry a. laska and alex67500 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
As a final question for now, if for example I booked the flights on 15 June 20, do I have to complete the return by 14 June 21, or could I have the return flight at a later date? Thanks.
Thanks for reporting back on your call with the contact centre, which was in line with what I thought was the situation. The outbound has to be done by 14 June 2021. In theory you then have 1 year to complete the return, so 13 June 2022, and had you already flown the first sector I think that would not have been a problem either. However the reality will be that at this point, before travel, the agents won't rebook your tickets past 1 year, including the return. This is one of the reasons why I've been warning against "maybe" bookings upthread, since at some point you run out of options. Luckily there is the FTV option if all else fails.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
all T7 to T8 connections in either direction have an MCT of 2 hours.
Thanks KARFA. That's what I thought but I have a couple of speculative future bookings that have allowed a shorter connection between AA domestic into T8 connecting onto an AA code on a BA flight out of T7. Matrix also allows shorter connections onto an AA codeshare than the BA prime code. I was sure I recall it falling over eventually and then having to rebook but couldn't find the definitive guide so thanks for clarifying.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks for reporting back on your call with the contact centre, which was in line with what I thought was the situation. The outbound has to be done by 14 June 2021. In theory you then have 1 year to complete the return, so 13 June 2022, and had you already flown the first sector I think that would not have been a problem either. However the reality will be that at this point, before travel, the agents won't rebook your tickets past 1 year, including the return. This is one of the reasons why I've been warning against "maybe" bookings upthread, since at some point you run out of options. Luckily there is the FTV option if all else fails.
Thanks for both replies above. It is a UUA booking from J to F both ways, so do I simply look for First reward seats on any route, then I pay extra cash if more/get an FTV for the difference if less, then either use extra Avios if a longer journey band or get some Avios refunded if a shorter journey band?
Thanks.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Thanks for both replies above. It is a UUA booking from J to F both ways, so do I simply look for First reward seats on any route, then I pay extra cash if more/get an FTV for the difference if less, then either use extra Avios if a longer journey band or get some Avios refunded if a shorter journey band?
Thanks.
Yes, that's the general principle, though what you can do is technically, but briefly pass via a FTV - the agent will help you - and then pay extra cash/Avios if necessary. You will need First availability. There may also be a fare difference in either direction, if it costs less than the original booking you will end up with a remaining FTV, or cash if it's a small amount. Avios get refunded directly back. You do have the option of cancelling the UuA if there is no prospect of you needing it on this trip, this will remove your rights to EC261 reimbursement, but it gives you an immediate ability to do something else with the Avios. As ever, don't move too quickly, things may change many more times.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:30 am

Yes, that's the general principle, though what you can do is technically, but briefly pass via a FTV - the agent will help you - and then pay extra cash/Avios if necessary. You will need First availability. There may also be a fare difference in either direction, if it costs less than the original booking you will end up with a remaining FTV, or cash if it's a small amount. Avios get refunded directly back. You do have the option of cancelling the UuA if there is no prospect of you needing it on this trip, this will remove your rights to EC261 reimbursement, but it gives you an immediate ability to do something else with the Avios. As ever, don't move too quickly, things may change many more times.
Thanks for your assistance. I currently plan to leave this booking as is for at least a couple of months and see what the situation is at that point.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:32 am

I booked an ex-Paris WTP trip to Seattle for May, wishful thinking I know. The return flight has already been cancelled and we've been automatically moved to the later flight (BA48). Now means we arrived into LHR a few ours after our flight to Paris leaves.

As we didn't really want to go back to Paris in the first place what is BA's policy on using this to get the final destination changed to LHR?
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gcuk
What is the MCT BA to AA and AA to BA at JFK? I've searched and have different answers, ranging from 1hr15mins to 2 hours?
I recall there is a footnote on the guidance somewhere which extends the MCT and in the past, I've experienced issues with AA flight numbers but operated by BA as that seems to fool the MCT until closer to departure time.
well when i was on the phone w the AA agent she looked it up and said it is 90mins at JFK for BA to AA from T7 to T8. so not sure if that has changed from the wiki guidance but at least thats what i was told yesterday!
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Plu2370
As we didn't really want to go back to Paris in the first place what is BA's policy on using this to get the final destination changed to LHR?
For that leg, you can simply call up and ask BA to delete the Paris sector, you will even get a modest refund. Alternatively you could move that Paris leg to sometime in the distant future for a different visit, or indeed your next ex Paris escapade. You still need to start from Paris, as things stand.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VSLover
well when i was on the phone w the AA agent she looked it up and said it is 90mins at JFK for BA to AA from T7 to T8. so not sure if that has changed from the wiki guidance but at least thats what i was told yesterday!
Interesting. This is the information, Standard would be 1.45, but I have highlighted where the exception is for T7 to T8

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at JFK
Incoming airline BA
Outgoing airline AA
Flight type International to Domestic

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE   1.00  1.15  1.45  2.00
OFFLINE  1.00  1.15  1.45  2.00
** OR * ARE ALL
BA-AA ID  2.00
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  2Z -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  2Z - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  AD -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  AD - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  AR -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  AR - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  BC -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  BC - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  BT -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  BT - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  D8 -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  D8 - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  DI -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  DI - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  DY -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  DY - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  EK -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  EK - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  EW -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  EW - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  F9 -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  F9 - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  H2 -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  H2 - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  HX -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  HX - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  KC -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  KC - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  NK -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  NK - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  O2 -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  O2 - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  PC -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  PC - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  PD -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  PD - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  QS -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  QS - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  SY -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  SY - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  TR -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  TR - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  TS -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  TS - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  UX -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  UX - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  VA -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  VA - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  VB -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  VB - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  W6 -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  W6 - N/A
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  Y4 -  **
**-AA ID GLSUP CDS  Y4 - N/A
**-AA ID  2.00 TRM 7 - 8
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  2Z
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  2Z -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AD -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AR -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  BC -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  BT -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  D8 -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  DI -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  DY -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  EK -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  EW -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  F9 -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  H2 -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  HX -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  KC -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  NK -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  O2 -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  PC -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  PD -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  QS -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  RO -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  SY -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  TR -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  TS -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  UX -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  VA -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  VB -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  W6 -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  Y4 -  AA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  AR
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  BC
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  BT
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  D8
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  DI
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  DY
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  EK
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  EW
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  F9
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  H2
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  KC
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  NK
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  O2
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  PC
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  PD
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  QS
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  RO
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  SY
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  TR
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  UX
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  VA
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  VB
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  W6
**-** ID GLSUP CDS  AA -  Y4
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by VSLover
So who are you gonna believe? A carefully trained professional AA agent? Or a random guy off the internet called KARFA?
VSLover, gcuk, KARFA and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:52 am

Thanks for the reply C-W-S, really helpful.

Follow on question, if I may, in what scenario would a change in the outbound enable Paris to be dropped entirely? e.g. LHR-SEA changing, maybe causing a long wait at Heathrow, or would it have to be something that impacted the viability of the Paris flight?
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
So who are you gonna believe? A carefully trained professional AA agent? Or a random guy off the internet called KARFA?
lol well EITHER WAY the new flight BA automatically put me on falls far short of the 90mins the AAgent told me or the lovely luxury of two hours!
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Plu2370
Follow on question, if I may, in what scenario would a change in the outbound enable Paris to be dropped entirely? e.g. LHR-SEA changing, maybe causing a long wait at Heathrow, or would it have to be something that impacted the viability of the Paris flight?
The CDG-LHR service would need to be cancelled, or retimed past the longhaul service.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 12:06 pm

The CDG-LHR service would need to be cancelled, or retimed past the longhaul service.
Probably a good job I quite fancy a night in Paris then!

Just an update, rang BAH, because the flights originate in France apparently there is a specific BAH France team that handles queries who were closed when I rang. Was given +33 157324975 to ring tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.