Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:37 am

I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts and advice on the following please....

My son and I have flights booked on BA flights, via Doha to Hanoi (Operated by Qatar).

These were booked by a third party online agent - TravelUp.

BA quite rightly and reasonably advise me to speak to TravelUp, however, this is proving impossible - they are not replying to emails - I have had an enquiry lodged (and acknowledged) with them for over a week now (and a couple of others more recently). I have tried all the phone numbers I can find for them at all hours of the day and night and all just ring once and disconnect.

I will of course continue in my endeavours to speak to TravelUp, however my question is this: should I get to within 24 hours of departure, I note in BA MMB the following message (my emphasis):

Change/Cancel bookingTo make changes or cancel your booking, please contact your original booking agent.

You can make changes to your booking online within 24 hours to departure, fare rules permitting.
Does this mean that if I do not manage to cancel these flights with TravelUp, I will be able to do so online?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Deleted
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by burns151
I would be really grateful for some clarification if possible.

My wife and I have a BA holiday to Dubai departing this Friday 20th Having looked at requesting a credit voucher, the terms state that I will only be reimbursed the flight element and not the hotel. Is it correct that the hotel element is going to be lost?

We had a BA Holiday booked to Dubrovnik (flight and hotel), flying out last Friday but the 14 day self isolation introduced by the Croatian government meant it didn't make sense to go. BA Holidays, though difficult to get through to, were very quick to agree to a full refund.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
Seems now that the flight I could rebook onto has been cancelled as well.
Says I can cancel the entire booking for a full refund, but when I click on the red link, it takes me to a future booking voucher page.
You have to call (or end a Twitter message) now, to get a refund - I would advise against completing the voucher form if you have a full refund option available, even by a more lengthy phone process.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I Is it correct that the hotel element is going to be lost?
Judging from some of the other posts upthread you may get an email from BA Holidays with a cash refund. If not you should apply for the voucher just before T-48 and do the screenshots. I can't guarantee this but judging from other posts I think you will end up with a full value eVoucher or a full cash refund.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Whyone
You can make changes to your booking online within 24 hours to departure, fare rules permitting.
Does this mean that if I do not manage to cancel these flights with TravelUp, I will be able to do so online?
BA can cancel the booking at T-24 and they may be able to rebook if it's a public fare, but all refund issues will need TravelUp to do the legwork. I would call them as well as email them. This may have to end up on travel insurance.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver
Originally Posted by sb1982
You have to call (or end a Twitter message) now, to get a refund - I would advise against completing the voucher form if you have a full refund option available, even by a more lengthy phone process.
I’m in this situation too. Very wary of accepting this voucher and forfeiting any refund (although mine is an Avios booking). Don’t really want to call BA at this stage as still several weeks to my scheduled flights, but they really don’t help themselves in being so deliberately vague.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Virgin Atlantic Silver, Iraq Medal, Afghanistan Medal
Many thanks I have just had an email confirming cancellation of the holiday and a full refund will be given
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Can anyone clarify how the system is currently meant to be operating ?

I have a number of upcoming Avios bookings that I want to cancel completely. I don't mind taking a hit on the usual canx charges if I can cancel this quickly and efficiently.

On an ex US booking on BA metal and BA Avios ticket which has not (yet) been cancelled, there is no cancel option at all. Just a large red notice warning me of a potential future cancellation and request that I call to discuss my options. Should the canx option have completely disappeared ?

On an internal USA flight on AA metal ticketed by BA as an Avios booking there is the option to canx, but clicking that takes me straight to the e-voucher request page. I would just like my Avios back and to write off the canx fee, but this is not an option. Is this how is should be working at the moment ?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Many thanks I have just had an email confirming cancellation of the holiday and a full refund will be given
I think I may have just had the same email for a BA holiday to Nashville in April. However, the email begins ‘We are sorry to hear you are unable to travel’ and that ‘if a refund is due I will receive a separate email.

I didn’t cancel as I wanted to wait for them to cancel for a full refund rather than a voucher. Is that what’s just happened?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:07 am

Hello
do I understand correctly that if I have a flight on 20 March to Germany and the flight is not currently cancelled I can only get a voucher and no cash refund? If the return flight is subsequently cancelled but I already accepted a voucher can I still not get a cash refund?
thanks for any help.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Virgin Atlantic Silver, Iraq Medal, Afghanistan Medal
Originally Posted by kingcole974
I think I may have just had the same email for a BA holiday to Nashville in April. However, the email begins ‘We are sorry to hear you are unable to travel’ and that ‘if a refund is due I will receive a separate email.

I didn’t cancel as I wanted to wait for them to cancel for a full refund rather than a voucher. Is that what’s just happened?
No my email states that they cannot provide the holiday as booked and will be providing a full refund.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
Hi, after some urgent help please.

We are at MAD. Want to fly today (booked for tomorrow). No ticket desk open and check in staff can't help. Phone number provided just disconnected immediately. Can't change booking online (it's an Avios booking).
​​​​​​
Are we best of booking with cash or Avios for today and using the form to claim for tomorrow's flight?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Can anyone clarify how the system is currently meant to be operating ?

I have a number of upcoming Avios bookings that I want to cancel completely. I don't mind taking a hit on the usual canx charges if I can cancel this quickly and efficiently.

On an ex US booking on BA metal and BA Avios ticket which has not (yet) been cancelled, there is no cancel option at all. Just a large red notice warning me of a potential future cancellation and request that I call to discuss my options. Should the canx option have completely disappeared ?

On an internal USA flight on AA metal ticketed by BA as an Avios booking there is the option to canx, but clicking that takes me straight to the e-voucher request page. I would just like my Avios back and to write off the canx fee, but this is not an option. Is this how is should be working at the moment ?
Yes. For some reason, the cancellation choice which is normally available has disappeared. You can still cancel normally by calling and paying the GBP35 redeposit fee at least 24 hours before your departure but most people should wait to see if one or more of their flights are cancelled. If BA (or in your case AA) cancels your flight then you may obtain a full refund without paying the redeposit fee.
There has been a number of posts about this if you read backwards in this thread and the rant/noise thread.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:43 am
Suspended

South Africa update 1 now released

tickets issued by 16 March
travel date up to 30 april

for part flown customers rebook asap without charge same cabin

for customers wanting to defer rebook same routing 01may to 01 august no change fee but fare difference payable

no refunds but voucher policy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.