Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
Sorry if this has been answered already.

I have an LHR-SFO-LHR cash booking in F.
I have flown the outbound.
The return was cancelled and I was rebooked for a flight in September.
I do not want to fly the return until April 2021 which is >365 days from the outbound.
BA are (still) calculating the value of my voucher.

How is the voucher value calculated? My fear is that it's roughly "total flight cost divided by 2, adjusted for taxes" so ~40%.
Assuming that my voucher is worth significantly less than the cost of a one way flight in F (£1,300 voucher value v £11,500 new ticket cost) what are my options?

Last edited by goodison; Sep 16, 2020 at 4:48 pm
Old Sep 16, 2020, 3:37 pm

Can someone help. Just completed a 4 sector European itinerary in Club. BA cancelled various sectors several times. On 2 occasions they cancelled a flight and offered alternative flights. Despite them being poor alternatives I had no option but to accept or be stranded.Then on BOTH occasions, within 2/3 days, they reinstated the original flights - same flight numbers and very similar timings. On first occasion I called BA and was immediately put back on original flight but next occasion they refused...on account that I had accepted the alternative and that was it....or pay to be transferred back to my original flight! Now that may be strictly correct and according to the rules but to me is ethically and morally wrong. What is stopping BA cancelling a flight and transferring all booked passengers onto alternative flights then reinstating the original flight and charging more for it. Surely this can’t be right? I have been in touch with Exec Club but they are just reinforcing the same message! Not sure where to go next with this. Any ideas?
Old Sep 16, 2020, 3:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OhLordy
What is stopping BA cancelling a flight and transferring all booked passengers onto alternative flights then reinstating the original flight and charging more for it. Surely this can’t be right?
all the hassle of rebooking a load of passengers from the cancelled flight, some of whom will just cancel and want a full refund? tbh i haven't any sense that BA are doing that. bear in mind short haul schedules are all over the place recently, flights are taken off and added in line with self isolation changes. it is annoying and i have had many changes to deal with over the last few months, but i don't think ba is also deliberately cancelling and re-instating flights at higher prices.

I have been in touch with Exec Club but they are just reinforcing the same message! Not sure where to go next with this. Any ideas?
as you have now completed the booking where are you wanting to go with this? what are you wanting from BA? i agree it would have been nice for BA to move you back for both, but not sure what you are wanting to pursue at this stage tbh?
Old Sep 16, 2020, 3:56 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by goodison
How is the voucher value calculated? My fear is that it's roughly "total flight cost divided by 2, adjusted for taxes" so ~40%.
Assuming that my voucher is worth significantly less than the cost of a flight (£1,300 v £11,500) what are my options?
Yes, I would assume you are looking at around 40% area, you have travelled the "heavier" set of taxes already. So ideally, if you still want to travel, you would rebook the return to under 365 days from ticket issue. However on paper the IATA rule is 365 days from the outbound trip, if it is already flown, but I don't think that is how BA is applying the rule. You could try to rebook it online, rather than via YouFirst, though that isn't guaranteed to work particularly if there are other complexities such as previous amendments. If all else fails, at least the 40% will be hard cash, and when flying does become more viable there should be a stage when it is a buyers' rather than seller's market.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 4:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Surely this can’t be right? I have been in touch with Exec Club but they are just reinforcing the same message! Not sure where to go next with this. Any ideas?
The advice upthread is not to react immediately to schedule changes if possible. I would ideally leave any schedule change for at least a week or two, since it's often a game of moving parts. I guess one option is to see if the "new" flight had Avios availability, since if it was restored from null then there would normally be redemption space. And if the maths work you could ask for your cancelled booking to be converted into Avios, though that won't work if you still have an operating service that you agreed to fly.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
all the hassle of rebooking a load of passengers from the cancelled flight, some of whom will just cancel and want a full refund? tbh i haven't any sense that BA are doing that. bear in mind short haul schedules are all over the place recently, flights are taken off and added in line with self isolation changes. it is annoying and i have had many changes to deal with over the last few months, but i don't think ba is also deliberately cancelling and re-instating flights at higher prices.

as you have now completed the booking where are you wanting to go with this? what are you wanting from BA? i agree it would have been nice for BA to move you back for both, but not sure what you are wanting to pursue at this stage tbh?
Thanks for the reply.
As for what I want.....
Nothing for me personally but I think it important that they review their cancellation policy - especially where they cancel and then subsequently reinstate the original flight. There should be a caveat that allows passengers from the original flight the option to return to that flight without cost. Currently they are using current rules which says once you have accepted new flights...that’s it! - all subsequent changes need to be paid for.
morally and ethically that surely is wrong - cancel a flight, rebook passengers, then reinstate original flight and charge passengers to change back to their original flight?
I just can’t get BA to understand this ..they are rigidly sticking to their “rules”
Old Sep 17, 2020, 12:35 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
So... for those of us travelling after 30 Sept booked before 3 March, things not looking great. BA Holidays thought the date would be extended 3 weeks prior to the 30 Sept date, so on 9 Sept, as that’s what’s happened every time in the past. We are now a week after that and no luck. Now reliant on the advice being against travel 3 weeks prior to the trip so we can get a refund. Or travel insurance.

I wonder if this is BA drawing a line under refunding / vouchering booking made prior to 3 March?
Old Sep 17, 2020, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
I wonder if this is BA drawing a line under refunding / vouchering booking made prior to 3 March?
I doubt it, they probably haven't made a decision yet, but at some point the rules will change anyway, more back to the old way of working. There is a Sale on until 30 September, so any extension announcement may be fairly late, but if in doubt, the best thing will be for BAH bookers to cancel just before 3 weeks to departure to reduce the risk of losing more. For flight bookings the decision can be made a day or two before departure.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 1:51 am

Currently they are using current rules which says once you have accepted new flights
The larger point is never accept rebooking to flights that are not agreeable to you. There are other options available.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 2:01 am

Cancellation on the way?

I have a booking for the route GLA-LHR-FCO on 14 October and FCO-LHR-GLA on 4 November.
As of yesterday, the outbound flights on 14 October have disappeared from MMB. I have not received any communication from BA. I thought it might be a system glitch.
However, doing a dummy booking for the same day, I discovered that the flights no longer appear on the timetable.
Is this a sign of probable cancellation? Any advice on what I should do (the journey is for a very important commitment)? Appreciate any help!
Old Sep 17, 2020, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
The larger point is never accept rebooking to flights that are not agreeable to you. There are other options available.
The other options...EZY etc...although available are even more inconvenient!
The alternative BA gave was an early morning departure...ok for most but I’m disabled and early mornings are a nightmare for me!
It really is just the ethical and moral issues of doing this to customers that gets me.
It can’t be and should not be right!
Rant over
Old Sep 17, 2020, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by BA0558
Is this a sign of probable cancellation? Any advice on what I should do (the journey is for a very important commitment)? Appreciate any help!
Possibly, but if we have the flight numbers it's easier to check. I can see the 07:00 hrs GLA-LHR service has been cancelled on 14 October, to give one example.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 2:57 am

I've just checked today and both my flights from LGW to ACE in Dec and March are no longer available on BA.com to book, only flights showing are from LHR with a connection, I only checked as the POUG had disappeared on MMB for one of the flights, I'd already upgraded the other 3 legs
Old Sep 17, 2020, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Possibly, but if we have the flight numbers it's easier to check. I can see the 07:00 hrs GLA-LHR service has been cancelled on 14 October, to give one example.
HI, CWS, thanks for your prompt reply. The flights in question are:

14 Oct
BA 1483
BA 554
Old Sep 17, 2020, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Hi all,

Am booked on LHR to LIN 3rd Oct and VCE to LHR 6th Oct in biz, paid booking,. I made this back in Jan for March and obviously had to move it at expense to October. I tried to move again to March 21 as I've moved with ebookers for the hotels ok only to be told that my flight falls outside of validity for a voucher and cannot be moved because the cutoff date is 30th September. The only way would be to cancel and lose loads (non refundable biz).

The call centre chap was very helpful and said i should call back after the 21st Sept (next monday) as they are expecting an update to extend validity of the vouchers....he said this isn't guaranteed but it has been extended every month up until now.

I'm really worried now because if they don't then I will lose even more. What with all the moves/changes etc this holiday is on par with a trip to the maldives expense wise at this point!

I know none of you are Yoda, but can anyone give me the confidence that its likely I will be able to move the flights come next week ???

Cheers all stay safe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.