Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:14 am

I had a flight to Japan booked at the end of September since Christmas and it was cancelled in mid July. I was able to rebook to a different flight on the same day which has now been cancelled.

I went through the website this morning and rebooked for much later in the year and then got a website error and it didn't complete.

I spoke to BA on the phone and they booked the flight for me and sorted out the seats and I received an email confirmation.

If I use the app or website my booking still shows the old flights and now the new ones as well. If I select the new flights (to view details, seats etc) it takes me to a page apologizing for my flight being cancelled (the old one) and telling me to call to rebook. I can't view any of the details and the only proof I have of the change is the email confirmation.

Is this a glitch that will sort itself out and do I need to worry?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by garak112
I had a flight to Japan booked at the end of September since Christmas and it was cancelled in mid July. I was able to rebook to a different flight on the same day which has now been cancelled.

I went through the website this morning and rebooked for much later in the year and then got a website error and it didn't complete.

I spoke to BA on the phone and they booked the flight for me and sorted out the seats and I received an email confirmation.

If I use the app or website my booking still shows the old flights and now the new ones as well. If I select the new flights (to view details, seats etc) it takes me to a page apologizing for my flight being cancelled (the old one) and telling me to call to rebook. I can't view any of the details and the only proof I have of the change is the email confirmation.

Is this a glitch that will sort itself out and do I need to worry?
Bookings in the app never get cleaned after a change & re-ticketing, They will show the new ticket number and new flights but will annoyingly always show the old ones too.

MMB on the website will get cleaned up when re-ticketed so the old cancelled flights will be removed.

It sounds like the changes have been done for you but the booking is awaiting re-ticketing. Once that is done it should look normal on the website and you should see the new ticket number in the app.
garak112 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If this is the problem (there are other possible explanations) then you need to find an airport within 300 miles of Durban with BA flights, of which there is only one, namely JNB. If you want Cape Town instead your options appear to be to wait a while to see if a Customer Guideline is issued for Durban, in which case CPT may be allowed (or may not). In normal circumstances this takes a couple of weeks, a Guideline was issued for LBA and that took about 10 days after route cancellation, from memory. The other option would be to pay the £35 per person redeposit fee or use an FTV to rebook on to CPT, but you would need availability for that.
How can we determine if BA issues a 'Customer Guideline'?----------assume the many passengers affected by the Durban cancellation looking at alternatives which could only be the now single daily flt to/from JNB------------Is anything 'published'?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 7:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dbarton
How can we determine if BA issues a 'Customer Guideline'?----------assume the many passengers affected by the Durban cancellation looking at alternatives which could only be the now single daily flt to/from JNB------------Is anything 'published'?
You will find the standard Customer Guidelines online and via Google. But if there are Durban specific guidelines they would be typically be "reactive", which means someone would need to call in and complain. Or you can keep an eye on this forum, a number of us keep our eyes open for them.

I would point out that the viability of SA flights while the pandemic continues isn't looking good.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
had to call in today to book a multi-city itin for april. it was a mix of AA/BA and i specifically picked BA flights on the longhaul segments expecting award space to eventually open (none available today to LAX and from JFK) so i could use a soon-to-expire upgrade voucher.

long story short, the agent noted they have been given flexibility to apply the upgrade vouchers even when space isnt showing to exists. so i got my upgrades to F both ways despite no inventory showing available at time of booking.

FYI. i imagine they just want to clear the excess upgrade vouchers perhaps.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by VSLover
had to call in today to book a multi-city itin for april. it was a mix of AA/BA and i specifically picked BA flights on the longhaul segments expecting award space to eventually open (none available today to LAX and from JFK) so i could use a soon-to-expire upgrade voucher.

long story short, the agent noted they have been given flexibility to apply the upgrade vouchers even when space isnt showing to exists. so i got my upgrades to F both ways despite no inventory showing available at time of booking.

FYI. i imagine they just want to clear the excess upgrade vouchers perhaps.
No availability at all or just no award? You've been able to use revenue buckets for GUF vouchers for some time now.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes, you have been able to use GUFs where A selling class is available for maybe a year now.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:19 am

What compensation should I ask for?

Hi all, would appreciate help in how I should approach this issue with BA please.

I had flights booked for Catania at start of September. I changed the flights, including a downgrade of one leg from CE to Econ, which resulted in me getting two voucher codes (one for me and one for partner) worth £88 each.

We decided to go to Milan for a long weekend from Friday 7th August to Monday 10th August. I called BA to make the booking and used my two voucher codes. The flights cost c. £120 each so there was a difference of £65 or so to pay, which they said they would charge to my Amex. The agent said everything was completed, gave me a booking reference which then showed in MMB online, happy days (or so I thought).

We turned up at LHR on Friday 7th at around 16:30 for a 18:00 flight. I couldn't checkin online for some reason, but I've had that before for various reasons so didn't worry. There was a long queue at checkin (no priority for Silver/Gold apparently?) and it was getting close to 17:00 before we reached the front. The checkin agent tapped her screen a lot and then told us that we didn't have tickets for this flight. Apparently the booking should have gone to someone else at BA to be ticketed but this hadn't occurred. She got a colleague to phone up someone to see if they could ticket us there and then, but long story short is that we ran out of time and were told we couldn't get that flight.

The most infuriating aspect of the whole thing was that every member of BA staff acted like this was my fault and not once did anyone apologise. In particular they kept mentioning that my Amex hadn't been charged for the fare difference so I should have known, Do they really expect everyone to constantly monitor their cards to make sure every payment is taken?
I understand that BA staff are under a lot of pressure and haven't had a great time lately, but I don't see any excuse for their attitude. I work in aviation too and understand how hard things are now, and my partner is an NHS doctor. This was our weekend away, we called BA, booked flights, got a booking reference - why should we expect any issues? After two checkin agents showed zero sympathy we spoke to the supervisor who was exactly the same - to paraphrase "there's nothing we can do to help, call customer service, no one cares about us anyway".

Anyway, we were damned if we were going to be beaten and lose our weekend away, so we turned down the option of being rebooked onto Saturday morning's Milan flight. As mentioned before my partner is an NHS GP and it was hard enough for him to get Monday as leave, so we didn't want to shorten our long weekend. We looked at the departure board and saw Athens was about the only decent option we could still make for Friday evening, checked for Avios seats, and booked 2 of them (again, out Friday 7th, back Monday 10th) for 40,000 avios and £70 cash. We called our two hotel bookings in Milan and luckily customer service does exist outside of BA - both were kind enough to cancel and refund our bookings despite being past the cutoff.

My question now is how to approach BA? At the very least I need my 2 x £88 vouchers back. However I also think we have every right to compensation. As far as I'm concerned we had a booking and were denied boarding, so should I push for EC261 of e250 each? Alternatively I could ask for BA to refund the 40k avios and £70 for ATH. I also lost money on trip bookings in Milan (non-refundable bookings) which I want back. Advice on how to handle this would be really appreciated - I would normally opt to complain in writing but will anyone read it in the current climate? Or do I wait on the phone for an hour and hope I get someone who can actually help?

Apologies for the length of the post, and thanks in advance for any help!
Dan
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Firstly I hope the Athens trip went OK, despite the poor experience before the weekend.

It is true that when something complex happens to a reservation, it's always best to check you are ticketed, which can be done by looking at the BA App details for the flight in question. The ticket number should be there and it starts 125. This is a relatively common mantra in this forum, since unfortunately you are not the first to be caught out by this. If it happens again, and the clock is running out on ticketing, it is sometimes better to pay cash there and then, since BA do swiftly refund in that particular scenario. You need to have this conversation no later than 70 minutes to departure. Incidentally the Amex point is a total red herring - it is entirely possible, if less likely, that the card gets charged and the ticket remains unticketed.

However I think this is Involuntary Denied Boarding, though there is a technical aspect in the wording of EC261 which requires you to be ticketed. Since this was purely on BA's side I don't think BA would get away with this if it got to court. My suggestion is that you ask for a full refund plus the IDB compensation on the Milan trip, by writing to Customer Relations using the webform you will find in the Contact section of BA.com. After two weeks you can try ringing up if they haven't replied, but at that point you best send the 16 day letter as outlined in the main EC261 thread in this forum, and follow the timeline to the letter. I would go MCOL on this, since CEDR tends to be too persuaded by BA's cut and paste verbiage in this area. More details on MCOL and CEDR in that thread. Keep all letters/webforms very short indeed, don't deploy any emotion here, just see as a technical debt collection process. BA usually settle a week after the final court imposed deadline.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:47 am

Many thanks cws, your comprehensive reply is much appreciated. I know it makes sense to check things like this (that the flight is ticketed etc) but it's very easy to miss the odd thing during our hectic schedules!

The Athens trip was fantastic, my first time in Greece - it was on our list of places to visit anyway, and it was the 4 hour flight that was putting us off a long weekend there. I don't think Milan could have come close though as it turned out, and it was wonderful to visit without many tourists there in the peak of summer.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flashware
No availability at all or just no award? You've been able to use revenue buckets for GUF vouchers for some time now.
ah, well learned something today i suppose.

previously, i would look online to see if an award ticket was available in F for LHR-LAX (for example) then book my paid ticket in J for that flight and use my GUF to upgrade. i was not aware there was more flexibility before because i only used this method!

so when i was on the phone i asked if i had any jokers available to unlock award space in F so i could upgrade my revenue ticket using my soon-to-expire GUF2. she responded that they have "more flexibility to use GUF/GUF2 when award ticket space doesnt exist"

that was the scenario i was operating in! i obviously do not make much use of these tools provided to us.
flashware likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by VSLover
ah, well learned something today i suppose.

previously, i would look online to see if an award ticket was available in F for LHR-LAX (for example) then book my paid ticket in J for that flight and use my GUF to upgrade. i was not aware there was more flexibility before because i only used this method!

so when i was on the phone i asked if i had any jokers available to unlock award space in F so i could upgrade my revenue ticket using my soon-to-expire GUF2. she responded that they have "more flexibility to use GUF/GUF2 when award ticket space doesnt exist"

that was the scenario i was operating in! i obviously do not make much use of these tools provided to us.
Seems she was a bit light on with the facts Anyway, glad you know now!
VSLover likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Can you use FTV from redemption flight to pay for future Avios upgrade?

I have 2 FTV vouchers each for 10,000 avios and £17.50. Can I use them for a upgrade to Club on a revenue ticket instead of future redemption bookings?
1st post, long time lurker and cargo worker at LHR(but no dealings with BA/IAG)
Old Aug 11, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
I have a BA Holidays booking at a rather attractive ex-EU fare. Segments have been cancelled.

Can I rebook for alternative dates or do I have to take the proactive refund when BA offer it?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by CargoDoesNotTalk
I have 2 FTV vouchers each for 10,000 avios and £17.50. Can I use them for a upgrade to Club on a revenue ticket instead of future redemption bookings?
1st post, long time lurker and cargo worker at LHR(but no dealings with BA/IAG)
Welcome to Flyertalk CargoDoesNotTalk, and welcome to the BA forum, I hope we will see plenty more of you in the future. If the original ticket is cash, I believe you can Upgrade using Avios with that FTV, though I suspect it will be easier to make a straight redemption booking. You would need to call up to use it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.