Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by markle
Hi all,

Need to change the date on an upcoming booking. Unfortunately I can't get it changed via ba.com (get an error).

I've tried calling, and am repeatedly getting the recording telling me to call back later (even when trying the trick of not choosing any options).

I'm a 45 minute drive from Heathrow - is this something that I could get fixed by driving to the airport and going to a ticketing desk there?

I know it sounds crazy - but at this point it feels like it would take less time than I have spent so far trying to get this done by phone / online.

Ugh.
twitter chat normally achieves results - contact them privately there and they should sort it out. Usually quite quickly but do push them.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by sb1982
twitter chat normally achieves results - contact them privately there and they should sort it out. Usually quite quickly but do push them.
Good advice. I joined the BA Twitter-verse solely for that purpose, and to very quick effect. I can live with the ongoing dribble-mail from the rest of Twitter, which is deleted in a nano-second!
Old Aug 3, 2020, 11:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by markle
I'm a 45 minute drive from Heathrow - is this something that I could get fixed by driving to the airport and going to a ticketing desk there?
In the past this would have worked, but it depends a bit on what you want you had booked originally, what you want now and whether it is complicated by things like part pay with Avios. In essence you best keep calling since T5 is nothing like fully staffed. You best try either ringing early or late or Saturday evening, the queues will go down once all the Spanish cancellations are sorted out.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 2:56 pm

I tried to rebook a September booking to DBV (outbound moved to LHR, return cancelled completely) for May next year and was told I couldn't as my (cheapo) fare bucket wasn't available then.

From reading the wiki in this thread I was expecting this to not be the case anymore - best to just try calling again?
Old Aug 3, 2020, 3:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by just_starting
I tried to rebook a September booking to DBV (outbound moved to LHR, return cancelled completely) for May next year and was told I couldn't as my (cheapo) fare bucket wasn't available then.

From reading the wiki in this thread I was expecting this to not be the case anymore - best to just try calling again?
Yes if your flight is cancelled due to coronavirus then you can rebook for the same route at any point during ticket validity. You don't need same selling class availability, just space in the cabin. This did come out in May, but the current version is now update 7 from 25 July.

Old Aug 3, 2020, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes if your flight is cancelled due to coronavirus then you can rebook for the same route at any point during ticket validity. You don't need same selling class availability, just space in the cabin. This did come out in May, but the current version is now update 7 from 25 July.

Thanks very much! Is there any room for interpretation regarding "due to coronavirus"? I'd hope they're not going to argue "due to demand", "due to LGW being closed", ...
Old Aug 3, 2020, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
Let's say person A wanted to buy a ticket that was priced at £1,000. Rather than paying the £1,000 in full let's say person A paid £800 and also contributed 20,000 Avios. These two currencies were used in order to settle a ticket price that had a value of £1,000.

Now - due to cancellations - person A has a future travel voucher. The value of this voucher is made up of £800 plus 20,000 Avios.

It is not possible to refund the voucher for cash and this applies to both types of currency contained within it.

When person A is ready to book another ticket the value of the voucher can be applied to that new ticket which utilizes the £800 and 20,000 Avios and combines to a ticket value of £1,000.

By taking a voucher, person A hasn't lost anything and isn't entitled to a refund of anything. Does that make it a little clearer?
Yes thank you. I suppose it would be abundantly clear if BA gave you a breakdown of the value of the vouchers received and/or made that information easy to check.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by just_starting
Thanks very much! Is there any room for interpretation regarding "due to coronavirus"? I'd hope they're not going to argue "due to demand", "due to LGW being closed", ...
previously it did say specific reason codes so OPEN COMN and COVN. I don't think it matters tho and clearly your flights are being cancelled due to coronavirus.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 12:58 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Can I ask anyone who knows. We have a BA Holiday booked flight, hotel (non refundable), and transfer to Algarve in Sept.

If UK govt advice is still to not travel to Portugal then can we get a voucher for the value of the whole trip? Or just the flights element?

Obvs if Govt advice changes to allow travel to portugal we will go. Just considering options before paying full amount off due later this month (currently only deposit paid)

Thanks
Old Aug 4, 2020, 5:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hungry
Can I ask anyone who knows. We have a BA Holiday booked flight, hotel (non refundable), and transfer to Algarve in Sept.

If UK govt advice is still to not travel to Portugal then can we get a voucher for the value of the whole trip? Or just the flights element?

Obvs if Govt advice changes to allow travel to portugal we will go. Just considering options before paying full amount off due later this month (currently only deposit paid)
If HMG changes its advice on Portugal, it may be this Thursday/Friday or next Thursday/Friday. But if HMG's advice stays the same, particularly the FCO advice, then BA Holidays will give you a full refund, generally in the 2 to 4 weeks before departure area.
hungry likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta, United, BA
Hello,
I am receiving the same pushback from BA agents about not being able to rebook unless there is award availability.
Do you perhaps have a URL link to the screengrab for Update 7? They aren't persuaded by "I saw it on Flyertalk" but hopefully they would be on their own website!
Thanks

Originally Posted by KARFA

Old Aug 4, 2020, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by cuteusmaximus
Hello,
I am receiving the same pushback from BA agents about not being able to rebook unless there is award availability.
Do you perhaps have a URL link to the screengrab for Update 7? They aren't persuaded by "I saw it on Flyertalk" but hopefully they would be on their own website!
Thanks
It is on the travel trade site https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=8166

However you should just be able to refer them to Update 7 of 25 July 2020 & Guideline 1 for BA-125 ticketed customers whose BA flight is cancelled. The previous version which allowed the same was Update 4 on 21 May 2020 & Guideline 1 for BA-125 ticketed customers whose BA flight is cancelled. This is all under Coronavirus - Principal Customer Guidelines.

Just to be clear, this is only for BA flights which are cancelled, and rebooking alternative BA flights on the same route. It would not apply for partner flights like say CX booked with avios.

Last edited by KARFA; Aug 4, 2020 at 8:32 am
Old Aug 4, 2020, 9:53 am

Also is 12 months from original booking date, not 12 months from the first flight in the booking... If you are outside that 12 months from when you originally booked then the agent is correct.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
For a BA Holiday booking

Terms and conditions - Holidays1. To make a “date change only” to a British Airways Holidays booking please call 0800 727 800 (freephone) from the UK. If calling from outside the UK please visit the contact us page. To “cancel your booking and exchange for a voucher”, which enables the flexibility to change your whole booking (destination, dates etc), please complete the form here.

2. Eligibility to either “change” or “cancel your booking (in exchange for a voucher)”, using our book with confidence commitment, is based on the date your booking was made and the travel dates you have booked.
Does this mean the usual change rules still apply? I.e I'll have to pay a fee ? And if so what happens to difference in fare either way? If more I pay more, if less they refund me? Or Is it just 'any change' and cost doesn't come into it (sounds unlikely)

Annoyingly a hotel we know well did not open this week and is 'reviewing' the situation again 2 days before we are due to leave. They are rebooking into a sister hotel but very family orientated and the reviews sound chaotic. To avoid last minute panic 2 days before I'm tempted to change it now until end of September to give it more time. This is a pre-March booking
Old Aug 4, 2020, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Sprodo
Annoyingly a hotel we know well did not open this week and is 'reviewing' the situation again 2 days before we are due to leave. They are rebooking into a sister hotel but very family orientated and the reviews sound chaotic. To avoid last minute panic 2 days before I'm tempted to change it now until end of September to give it more time. This is a pre-March booking
To avoid potential issues, you have no alternative but to call BAH. If you have a firm date (which is realistic and takes account fo self isolation requirements). If not you would want th FTV, but you would still need to call.

I've been around long enough to take hotel reviews, in particular, with a huge pinch of salt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.