Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking antibacterial wipes onto BA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:08 pm

Wipes in my carry on usually triggers a secondary screening in the US. If I remember I take them out of my bag before screening and that solves the problem of the secondary. This weekend I traveled and pulled out the wipes...but I forgot to take the lysol disinfecting wipes out of my bag...boom ..another secondary. The TSA agent checked to see if it had bleach. Apparently products with bleach are a no no.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex PP, Virgin Gold
Antibacterial wipes are certainly useful on what can often be pretty shabbily cleaned aircraft, however (and I'm guessing here) they won't be effective against viruses... Or is that wrong? Wouldn't you need something with alchohol or something more like bleach?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BoeBus
Antibacterial wipes are certainly useful on what can often be pretty shabbily cleaned aircraft, however (and I'm guessing here) they won't be effective against viruses... Or is that wrong? Wouldn't you need something with alchohol or something more like bleach?

Does Dettol kill the Coronavirus (COVID-19)?

2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a new strain of coronavirus. It is not yet available for commercial testing.

Specific Dettol products have demonstrated effectiveness (>99.9% inactivation) against coronavirus strains from the same family as the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in third party laboratory testing, when used in accordance with the directions for use. These products are: Dettol Antibacterial Surface Cleanser Spray, Dettol Antibacterial Surface Cleanser Wipes, Dettol All-In-One Disinfectant Spray, and Dettol Disinfectant Liquid.

Given the structural similarities of the COVID-19 virus to the coronavirus strains tested previously (SARS-CoV, MERS-CoV, Human Coronavirus), and based on the evidence available to us, we would expect our Dettol products (listed above) to be effective against the new strain. Definitive scientific confirmation of this, as with all other commercially available virucides, can only be provided once testing against COVID-19 Coronavirus has been conducted, following release of the strain by relevant health authorities.

The CDC and World Health Organization specifically advises people to wash hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer as a key preventative measure against the spread Coronavirus COVID-19. A good quality disinfectant will help reduce risk to families. Our Dettol Hand Sanitizers use ethanol (alcohol) as the germ disinfection active ingredient in line with CDC and WHO recommendations.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex PP, Virgin Gold
Great, good thing we have a few family packs in storage from when they were on sale before all this kicked off!
aristoph likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:39 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I always take baby wipes on board. Good idea. Although they are seeming to be in short supply in Waitrose Belgravia, as in there aren't any!
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
This is a common travel item for almost anyone, having nothing to do with Covid.
Must admit in all my years of travelling alone or with the wife we've never taken them whether it be by land, sea or air.
LCY8737 and BlueThroughCrimp like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:47 pm

For years I've included antibacterial wipes in my flight bag with no issues whatsoever. Towards the end of last year, I bought a box of 100 Clinell Antimicrobial Hand Wipes for travel. My husband found the quantity amusing. The laugh is now on him as the price of these items has shot up. Availability is scarce. I'm probably a millionaire in hand wipes by now
​​​​​​
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by BoeBus
Bleach based products as well as alcohol cased with at least 60% alcohol are effective against enveloped viruses like COVID19. The US EPA has provided a list of products which are effective https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...19/4966691002/
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:42 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
There's zero issue with wipes, plenty of people carried them before all of this stuff. I carry them because I often travel to places that simply don't give out a lot of napkins when eating, and/or don't have a place to wash your hands when you're done. I stock up whenever I'm on a flight or at a place that gives them out for free. Grabbed like 30 on a recent TAP flight that had them in the lavatory (the sink was working too these were just optional)
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
On a short haul ex europe flight last week. On boarding I passed a woman who was wiping armrest etc down with a wipe.

She then started playing with her hair and touching her face with the hands she hadn't washed after using the wipes

If you are going to wipe then for heavens sake follow the other advice as well!
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:54 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Carried them for years. Never a problem.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:18 pm

Naomi Campbell always wipes down the airplane with them, even before this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:45 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by aristoph
I’m off to BGI this weekend, and I just don’t trust that BA will clean the seat between flights so am planning to take Dettol wipes on board with me. They’re wet obviously, but not liquid, so I assume LGW security is sensible and lets them through - does anyone have experience?
I recently travelled with a ton of wet wipes as I have a 3yo and a 10mo with me. Not a single security staff said a word about them.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
I recently travelled LHR to GRU and back with a pack of wet wipes in my rucksack and have been carrying them on flights for a while now, with no issues going through security or anything. Carrying them more for my own peace of mind (as opposed to C-19 specifically) after having become aware of the number of people in my office building (and assuming in airport / planes) not washing their hands after going to the toilet.
MNMAA likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by ens100
[...] after having become aware of the number of people in my office building (and assuming in airport / planes) not washing their hands after going to the toilet.
I have been noticing this for years and years.
It’s simply baffling, to put it politely...
ens100 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.