Taking antibacterial wipes onto BA?

Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Taking antibacterial wipes onto BA?

I’m off to BGI this weekend, and I just don’t trust that BA will clean the seat between flights so am planning to take Dettol wipes on board with me. They’re wet obviously, but not liquid, so I assume LGW security is sensible and lets them through - does anyone have experience?

(if it seems like a silly question, my bag was sent for secondary at LCY because I left a powder asthma inhaler in the bag. They told me it was a liquid and when I protested that NO other airport ever had, the response was that LCY is on a different security level!)

PS Just received this from JetBlue who ARE taking hygiene seriously/
  1. We know how important cleanliness is during these times. To offer you peace of mind, we have increased aircraft cleaning each night, including the walls, windows, window shades, galleys, lavatories and floors. We are applying disinfectant that is effective against coronavirus across aircraft interiors including the places customers touch most - the tray tables, seat covers, armrests and seatbelts.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
I brought a pack through security at LHR last week without any problems.
aristoph, Sisyphus1carus and T8191 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There shouldn't be a problem, there are plenty of them going through security at the moment. Both Boots airside in LGW have wet wipes for sale too (though they are Boots own brand from memory). It's just hand sanitisers they still don't have for sale as of today.

Under DfT guidance, asthma inhalers are supposed to be screened separately, but I accept that probably most airports don't bother.
https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-rest...ical-equipment
aristoph likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I’ve taken these for years in hand luggage (mainly for SE Asia hand wiping) and often used onboard. They are not an issue
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a common travel item for almost anyone, having nothing to do with Covid.
mikeyfly, Cap'n Benj, TBD and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all!
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
I’ve been ‘secondaried’ a couple of times for inhalers.....and informed each time that they should be in the liquids bag.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Wife takes them all the time (even before Covid) and we also have baby wipes (and a baby included) never been an issue!!

one place to clean which most people miss out is the seatbelt and buckle
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:32 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Never had a problem with wipes, ( or indeed Insulin Pens )
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aidy
Wife takes them all the time (even before Covid) and we also have baby wipes (and a baby included) never been an issue!!

one place to clean which most people miss out is the seatbelt and buckle
yes, the JetBlue email mentioned seatbelts which I would not have thought about!

sad to say, I just cant imagine BA deep cleaning the plane every night :-(
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Travelling with kids we always had plenty of wet wipes with us and it has never been an issue.

Fun thing though once a bottle of formula triggered a sort of alarm when scanned inside a special device, which resulted in quite a scene at the First security checkpoint. 5 security chaps surrounded us for a couple of minutes until we were cleared.

Everybody was lovely, although for a moment it felt like we were in trouble (and the other passengers were not amused lol)
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
Ive been secondaried a couple of times for inhalers.....and informed each time that they should be in the liquids bag.
Crazy.... I've never flown without inhalers in my carry on and have NEVER included them in my liquids or been called out on it.
aristoph likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:03 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I have flown with wet wipes* at least 1,000 times and have never had it raised as an issue anywhere whatsoever.

Just this morning, I took the Dettol wipes that I bought at Boots T5 landside, alcohol wipes, and my usual wet wipes through security at LHR, and no-one even took any notice.

Hopefully this will reassure you

(The alcohol wipes were used to clean my seat area, the table, the back of the seat the middle table, and the seat belt inc. the buckle etc. That was after seat-shifting myself at check-in to avoid having anyone seated behind me. Call me germophobe!)

*Make-up remover wipes which are nevertheless wet wipes
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Magic01273
Crazy.... I've never flown without inhalers in my carry on and have NEVER included them in my liquids or been called out on it.
happened at MAN and LBA, was a couple of years ago so may have been when the rule was first introduced, Ive kept them with my liquids ever since.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by aristoph
yes, the JetBlue email mentioned seatbelts which I would not have thought about!

sad to say, I just cant imagine BA deep cleaning the plane every night :-(
I have just received an email from BA telling me how clean their planes are.....signed by Alex Cruz no less. Must be true
hotel_user likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.