Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: carrotjuice
BAEC notification
updated 25 March 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Executive Club Tier Flexibility Policy
We understand the substantial impact these unprecedented times are having on the lives of our Executive Club Members. We have taken steps to protect the Tier status and well-earned benefits of our Members.

We’ll be lowering Tier Point thresholds by 30% for all Members due for Tier upgrade or renewal in April, May and June. This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds as laid out below
  • Bronze: 210 Tier Points
  • Silver: 420 Tier Points
  • Gold: 1050 Tier Points
  • Gold Guest List (Renewal): 2100 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)
    Gold Guest List (Upgrade): 3500 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)

To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, we’re applying a six-month expiration extension to any current vouchers.

The situation is constantly changing, which is why we’re continuously reviewing our policy and will communicate any updates.

See here for details: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits?dr=&dt=British%20Airways%20%7C%20Book%20F lights,%20Holidays,%20City%20Breaks%20%26%20Check% 20In%20Online&scheme=&audience=travel&CUSTSEG=&GGL Member=&ban=c2b728e5fe0683865614c44450048aa6%7C%7C CAM%7C6%7CCTA1%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7CHOME%7C%7C%7C%7CL4%7 C%7C%7C%7Canonymous-inspiration%7C%7C%7C&KMtag=c&KMver=1.0&clickpage=H OME#flexibility

FAQs

Show all|Hide all
How do I benefit from the Tier Flexibility policy?If you are eligible for a Tier upgrade or renewal under this policy, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once your Tier Point collection year ends and you will receive an email from the Executive Club team to confirm this.

In the meantime, you will not see any changes to your account until the start of your new Tier Point collection year.

My Tier Point collection year ends in July 2020 or thereafter. Does the Tier Flexibility policy apply to me?The Tier Flexibility policy only applies to Members due for renewal in April, May and June 2020. We understand that the situation is constantly changing, which is why we are continuously reviewing our policies and will be in touch with any changes that are applicable to your membership in the future. There is no need to contact us.

Where can I see my Tier Point collection year end date?This can be viewed on the My Executive Club page or the mobile app. This is shown underneath your current Tier Point total, or at the bottom of the ‘My account’ page on the mobile app.

Do I need to reach the eligible flights required for my Tier to benefit from the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction?The eligible flight requirements have been waived for Members who qualify for the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction in order to renew or upgrade.

I redeemed a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher, or ticket to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a 6-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

I redeemed a Gold Upgrade Voucher on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a six-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

Is my voucher included in the six-month extension policy?This policy covers all vouchers earned using a British Airways credit card. This includes American Express Companion Vouchers, Chase Travel Together Tickets, RBC Companion Award Vouchers, Asba Companion Vouchers, RSB American Express Companion Vouchers and RSB World Mastercard Companion Vouchers.

This policy also includes Gold Upgrade Vouchers.

I am close to earning a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, with a British Airways credit card. Does the 6-month extension apply to me?We want to maximise the opportunity for Members to use their well earned vouchers. If your Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card is issued during March, April, May or June, we will be automatically applying a 6-month extension. This may take some time to reflect in your account, however there is no need to contact us.

This does not currently apply to Gold Upgrade Vouchers.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by arh1
similarly those whose years expired in January or February (me). My flying months this year would be shorter than those who expire in say June, yet that isn’t acknowledged.

Atleast you have the benefit of seeing what comes before your expiry.
Yep, in the same boat. As I say, things will change so just sit tight and be patient
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Oaxaca

If such an email does not arrive, I would then share your view that BA is showing me a number of fingers fewer than three, since I would have lost at least as much (and probably more) flying opportunity in my year as those who got the reduced thresholds today. Let’s see what happens
From BA.com:

If you are eligible for a Tier upgrade or renewal under this policy, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once your Tier Point collection year ends and you will receive an email from the Executive Club team to confirm this.

In the meantime, you will not see any changes to your account until the start of your new Tier Point collection year.
I see nowhere saying that only those who received emails are eligible.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I agree with many others in that it a rather poor offering and assumes (incorrectly for many) that TP are earned in a linear fashion across the year. As an accountant the few months either side of the end of the year are often a write off in terms of any meaningful travel. This means my flights tend to be predominantly from April onward. I had been planning a couple of trips at the end of April and during May that would have easily have maintained silver but I hadn't booked these because of the uncertainty around travel. As a result I am a considerable distance away from even the reduced thresholds they are currently offering. My hope is that BA realises that linear travel during the year doesn't happen for all people and looks more towards a blanket extension, but based on current behaviours at the airline I'm not holding out a lot of hope.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
This is crap IMO.
I have a feb renewal. As I travel for business and not lesuire I book fairly last minute (so I know exactly where and when I am needed). As per this I won't be eligible for he haw. Also if they take into account cancelled flights then I only see this benefiting frequent lesuire travelers that book well in advance.
Just give everyone a mulligan for the year.
Aren't you the guy who's been complaining that you can't get a bargain-bucket discount for your leisure trip to Antigua next year on this thread?

Trying to throw BA a bone. Prices spat back in my face!
flashware, Mike P, T8191 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:25 pm

Why is the BA renewal offer so short term in its’ thinking?
it only covers you if your expiry is in the next NINE WEEKS (to June 8)

Does BA not watch the news and see that this situation will continue much longer? Those with renewals from July are expected to fly on their vastly reduced scheduled, providing the destination will let them into the country?

Other airlines have stepped up to he plate CX/QF/QR/VS.

BA has really failed its’ loyal flyers. A limited offer, that has come far too late.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by MikeLonW7

Does BA not watch the news and see that this situation will continue much longer? Those with renewals from July are expected to fly on their vastly reduced scheduled, providing the destination will let them into the country?

BA has really failed its’ loyal flyers. A limited offer, that has come far too late.
As I've said, I believe it will continue to change as time moves on, just be patient. Patience is a virtue after all

I'm screwed by this too given I've had 2000 TP cancelled already, but I'm sure (I hope) it'll work out in the end.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Desperate
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
This works for me as I am 85TP short of retaining Gold and expiry is June. HOWEVER last year at this stage I was silver - and I gained over 1000TP from Easter until redemption in June. And this would have stopped me reaching Gold altogether as I would have lost all those flights.

I know many here in this thread are in this situation and I have to agree that BA should simply extend everyone by a year where they are and allow those points to be added to over that period to move up levels. (In fact I would love that as it might allow me to get to the next stage above Gold).
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by MikeLonW7

Agree with all if that. You would think BA has been talking to POTUS, with an ‘all sorted by Easter’ mindset. C-19 will have global travel impact, in various degrees, for at least the rest of the year ... and thet will depend on the robustness of destination Nation’s healthcare options and acceptance of risk.

Been exchanging emails with our regular destination hotels in South Africa for Dec ... they’re basically closing until Jun/Jul. As they’re all small and privately owned, will they even re-open?
bermudasun likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by wilsnunn

I see nowhere saying that only those who received emails are eligible.
Not clear what point you’re trying to make. I didn’t say that only those who received emails are eligible. However on ba.com the relevant FAQ specifically states that only those with renewal dates in April/May/June are eligible for the reduction, currently. People with renewal dates in those months appear to have received emails including the reduced thresholds, those with later renewal dates (but also having vouchers) received a different email about the vouchers only.

My Tier Point collection year ends in July 2020 or thereafter. Does the Tier Flexibility policy apply to me?The Tier Flexibility policy only applies to Members due for renewal in April, May and June 2020. We understand that the situation is constantly changing, which is why we are continuously reviewing our policies and will be in touch with any changes that are applicable to your membership in the future. There is no need to contact us.
So, as I said, I’m giving BA the benefit of the doubt for now, we shall see if news arrives later for those whose year expires after June.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:52 pm

I'm hoping this thread goes quiet in <10 minutes and everyone participates in https://clapforourcarers.co.uk/
IFE Wizard and T8191 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Talking

Originally Posted by southlondonphil
Aren't you the guy who's been complaining that you can't get a bargain-bucket discount for your leisure trip to Antigua next year on this thread?

Trying to throw BA a bone. Prices spat back in my face!
Well spotted.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
If I were BA I wouldn't think about extensing everyone's year by 12 months until the virus crisis is over. Somebody with an 8th April 2020 anniversary who gets an extension is not going to be able to use the first few months of it anyway, so it's not that generous. Somebody whose Tier Year runs out in Jan 2021 on the other hand is going to be much better off it it gets extended to Jan 2022.

I'd be tweaking the thresholds on a rolling basis as BA is seemingly doing so that those close to the original target get to (re)qualify, then when all this is behind us at the end of the year (hopefully!) give an additional 12 months extension that everyone can actually make full use of.

I admit, that the likelihood of BA being that 'generous' is slim.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:23 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by rossmacd
That only benefits those who book in advance, not those who book close in and typically at higher (more profitable!) fares.
So we are talking about people accumulating TPs traveling on business? I know that there are lots of other reasons but I would have thought that if what you say is that they book nearer in, that lots would have accumulated enough TPs this close to the end of their year. I would think as well that there are lots of companies who have put a moratorium on travel in these times
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
So we are talking about people accumulating TPs traveling on business?
You may be, but I didn’t say that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.