Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: carrotjuice
BAEC notification
updated 25 March 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Executive Club Tier Flexibility Policy
We understand the substantial impact these unprecedented times are having on the lives of our Executive Club Members. We have taken steps to protect the Tier status and well-earned benefits of our Members.

We’ll be lowering Tier Point thresholds by 30% for all Members due for Tier upgrade or renewal in April, May and June. This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds as laid out below
  • Bronze: 210 Tier Points
  • Silver: 420 Tier Points
  • Gold: 1050 Tier Points
  • Gold Guest List (Renewal): 2100 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)
    Gold Guest List (Upgrade): 3500 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)

To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, we’re applying a six-month expiration extension to any current vouchers.

The situation is constantly changing, which is why we’re continuously reviewing our policy and will communicate any updates.

See here for details: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits?dr=&dt=British%20Airways%20%7C%20Book%20F lights,%20Holidays,%20City%20Breaks%20%26%20Check% 20In%20Online&scheme=&audience=travel&CUSTSEG=&GGL Member=&ban=c2b728e5fe0683865614c44450048aa6%7C%7C CAM%7C6%7CCTA1%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7CHOME%7C%7C%7C%7CL4%7 C%7C%7C%7Canonymous-inspiration%7C%7C%7C&KMtag=c&KMver=1.0&clickpage=H OME#flexibility

FAQs

Show all|Hide all
How do I benefit from the Tier Flexibility policy?If you are eligible for a Tier upgrade or renewal under this policy, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once your Tier Point collection year ends and you will receive an email from the Executive Club team to confirm this.

In the meantime, you will not see any changes to your account until the start of your new Tier Point collection year.

My Tier Point collection year ends in July 2020 or thereafter. Does the Tier Flexibility policy apply to me?The Tier Flexibility policy only applies to Members due for renewal in April, May and June 2020. We understand that the situation is constantly changing, which is why we are continuously reviewing our policies and will be in touch with any changes that are applicable to your membership in the future. There is no need to contact us.

Where can I see my Tier Point collection year end date?This can be viewed on the My Executive Club page or the mobile app. This is shown underneath your current Tier Point total, or at the bottom of the ‘My account’ page on the mobile app.

Do I need to reach the eligible flights required for my Tier to benefit from the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction?The eligible flight requirements have been waived for Members who qualify for the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction in order to renew or upgrade.

I redeemed a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher, or ticket to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a 6-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

I redeemed a Gold Upgrade Voucher on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a six-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

Is my voucher included in the six-month extension policy?This policy covers all vouchers earned using a British Airways credit card. This includes American Express Companion Vouchers, Chase Travel Together Tickets, RBC Companion Award Vouchers, Asba Companion Vouchers, RSB American Express Companion Vouchers and RSB World Mastercard Companion Vouchers.

This policy also includes Gold Upgrade Vouchers.

I am close to earning a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, with a British Airways credit card. Does the 6-month extension apply to me?We want to maximise the opportunity for Members to use their well earned vouchers. If your Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card is issued during March, April, May or June, we will be automatically applying a 6-month extension. This may take some time to reflect in your account, however there is no need to contact us.

This does not currently apply to Gold Upgrade Vouchers.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2020, 1:38 am

Hi all,
first post here.
I just wanted to add another data point to this forum in terms of correspondence with BA requesting a status extension.
I wrote last week via the online email form seeking an exception as all my travel plans have been cancelled since February so I won't reach either the original 1,500 or lowered 1,050 threshold to requalify BA Executive Club gold when my membership year ends in June. I did not have any cancelled flight bookings to show, as my trips don't normally get booked so far in advance. I did try to highlight travel patterns from previous years showing the bulk of my flying is during the six months from January to June.
Anyway, my request was denied. I accept the decision and will move on from this episode.
Part of the emailed response, which came after a few days, stated:
"While I do appreciate there is uncertainty regarding current travel patterns, and the reason for your request, I'm afraid I am not able to arrange for your membership to be renewed at Gold based on the Tier Points you currently hold. I hope you will understand we do have to be fair to all of our Members and follow the guidelines. I do appreciate this is not the answer you were hoping for and I am very sorry I could not help further on this occasion."

Good luck to everyone else with their BA Executive Club memberships.
And above all, stay safe.

Cheers.
rockflyertalk likes this.

Last edited by almelb; May 29, 2020 at 1:39 am Reason: grammar
Old May 29, 2020, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
Even though your collection year ended on 8 May, your membership year won't end until 30 June and you'll keep your current status until then. Are you saying that your Silver status has been extended until June 2021 with only 295 tier points?
my wife was renewed at silver with less than 100 tier points and just 2 sectors on Ba last December. Others here have suggested this is Not unusual if you have a number of years of silver behind you.
my gold card, 6 out of 8 years was downgraded. I simply can’t be arsed anymore with BA to follow up. Their only consistency is their inconsistency
Old May 29, 2020, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by almelb
Hi all,
first post here.
I just wanted to add another data point to this forum in terms of correspondence with BA requesting a status extension.
I wrote last week via the online email form seeking an exception as all my travel plans have been cancelled since February so I won't reach either the original 1,500 or lowered 1,050 threshold to requalify BA Executive Club gold when my membership year ends in June. I did not have any cancelled flight bookings to show, as my trips don't normally get booked so far in advance. I did try to highlight travel patterns from previous years showing the bulk of my flying is during the six months from January to June.
Anyway, my request was denied. I accept the decision and will move on from this episode.
Part of the emailed response, which came after a few days, stated:
"While I do appreciate there is uncertainty regarding current travel patterns, and the reason for your request, I'm afraid I am not able to arrange for your membership to be renewed at Gold based on the Tier Points you currently hold. I hope you will understand we do have to be fair to all of our Members and follow the guidelines. I do appreciate this is not the answer you were hoping for and I am very sorry I could not help further on this occasion."

Good luck to everyone else with their BA Executive Club memberships.
And above all, stay safe.

Cheers.
Hi almelb and welcome to FlyerTalk!

I assume that your TP year ends on 8 June. Am I correct?
For April/May TP year-end people, there were reports on this thread that some FT members not meeting the reduced thresholds were auto-upgraded back to their original status within their new TP year. Maybe you might be lucky in the end, even though your initial request is denied.

If your TP year ends on somewhere later than June, unfortunately, you would need to wait until a further announcement by BAEC which we are all waiting for.
Old May 29, 2020, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by 27Liam
Apologies if this has already been answered upthread, but I would appreciate some FT wisdom. I am BAEC Silver with a TP year end date of June 8 and typically attain status with self funded short haul flying in J and occasional long haul in Y / W / J. I currently have 360 TP all in short haul, last flights in January. Typically I would earn disproportionately high number of TPs in the second quarter of the year taking cheaper W/J tickets to use up carryover holidays from work in the low period after ski season and easter (e.g. was expecting to go to west coast USA in April/May). I did not have those tickets booked as I would typically book 3-4 weeks before departure depending on workload, but clearly this was not possible so far this year and the flight schedule until June 8 is still severely restricted.

Am I right in understanding that from BA's perspective, the reduced threshold of 420TP is the only concession that applies to me and it is just my tough luck that my flying pattern is not spread out linearly during the year? Absent covid, I would have either achieved or booked to achieve well in excess of 600TP by June 8 based on historical patterns. Since the virus starts to be an issue in late Feb, by June 8 I will have lost over 3 months of being able to use my benefits and to earn TPs to maintain status, so this does seem a little unfair if I now also lose silver for next year so close to the threshold.

Any advice on approaches I could make to BA which have been successful thus far or any recommendations for strategically cheap tickets I could purchase to maintain status if flying is allowed to resume? The June timetable is already severely restricted until June 8.
Just to follow up on my outcome, I filled in the webform explaining my case and received a reply within a week or so confirming Silver for another year.
Old May 29, 2020, 2:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by almelb
Hi all,
first post here.
Thanks for sharing that, and I thiink it confirms that for those whose collection year ended on 8 May (I presume) had to get the 1050 TP or have many years of continuous Gold to maintain the level. Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum almelb.
Old May 29, 2020, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by WHBM
Silver, had accumulated 295 this year, which ended 9 May. 5 short of bronze ! Hadn't thought about it till just now, checked, was indeed reset to zero on 9 May but I am apparently continuing as Silver. Not a single communication of any sort.
Originally Posted by Misco60
Even though your collection year ended on 8 May, your membership year won't end until 30 June and you'll keep your current status until then. Are you saying that your Silver status has been extended until June 2021 with only 295 tier points?
My other half had 85 for a May expiry - soft-landing to Bronze was the plan and unfortunately was to come four days before a trip routed to bump her back up [and renew my Silver]. That's now cancelled - but I can't tell what's happened to her account. Still Silver at the moment [as expected] but can't find the page for whether a Bronze pack has been sent out - wasn't that in "Executive Club Items"? That's still offering to send her Silver luggage tags - which would be a bit odd for a soft-lander but not a huge surprise with BA IT. She's no history to speak of as last year was her first in BAEC.

Will email to ask about my renewal [September] - but certainly won't be booking OneWorld until it's clear which way that will go. No rush for me though as I have two of the BUD fare on SkyTeam for the Autumn/Winter and I wouldn't be surprised if those end up being moved into Spring/Summer next year anyway.
Old May 29, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC
So an update on my first post - now super buried in this massive thread!

I have 1365 Tier points, renewal date in July. Contacted BA via Twitter.
As I had flight that were cancelled which would have taken me over the 1500 tier point requirement anyway.

They've said reduced 30% tier point requirement which I meet and hence will upgrade to Gold after renewal date!
Success
Old May 29, 2020, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by travellingcardiologist

As I had flight that were cancelled which would have taken me over the 1500 tier point requirement anyway.

They've said reduced 30% tier point requirement which I meet and hence will upgrade to Gold after renewal date!
Success
This is good news. Thanks for the update.
Old May 29, 2020, 11:45 pm

hi ISTFlyer,
Thanks for your welcome.
Yes, my membership year ends June 8. While there are some who have been auto-upgraded when finishing short of the reduced thresholds, I am not expecting that to be the case for me as I am well short of both the original and reduced thresholds.
In any case, it is a relatively minor thing in the big picture of what's going. I just wanted to offer another data point for those going through a similar thing.

ps . thanks for the welcome as well corporate-wage-slave.

stay safe everyone.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 12:39 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
There are many on here who say that due to non renewal of their status they will switch alliances.

Not really sure I believe much of that, but each to their own.

What I think is far more damaging to all customers - not just status holders - is their total lack of clarity as to when they will fly and putting in place a realistic schedule

They has a mass cull of July bookings yesterday. But they always would do as to suggest that they were going to operate half a dozen flights or so a day to Nice or Palma etc from 1 July was always fanciful - and of course they knew that but still take bookings / the money.

That really influences people as the ba message is book what you like but we don’t really have any intention of flying.

Contrast that with the much maligned RyanAir who are clear exactly what they will run from 1 July and to where with a viable reduced timetable.

People want to get from A to B reliably not have plans messed about all the time. RyanAir have also been clear as the the service standard ( seat belt sign on all flight , ask to use wc, limited pre packed catering ) which again is more than ba etc have done.

in my view Ba are piling pain on pain by misleading people as to what they are actually going to run / provide
Old May 30, 2020, 12:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
There are many on here who say that due to non renewal of their status they will switch alliances.

Not really sure I believe much of that, but each to their own.

What I think is far more damaging to all customers - not just status holders - is their total lack of clarity as to when they will fly and putting in place a realistic schedule

They has a mass cull of July bookings yesterday. But they always would do as to suggest that they were going to operate half a dozen flights or so a day to Nice or Palma etc from 1 July was always fanciful - and of course they knew that but still take bookings / the money.

That really influences people as the ba message is book what you like but we don’t really have any intention of flying.

Contrast that with the much maligned RyanAir who are clear exactly what they will run from 1 July and to where with a viable reduced timetable.

People want to get from A to B reliably not have plans messed about all the time. RyanAir have also been clear as the the service standard ( seat belt sign on all flight , ask to use wc, limited pre packed catering ) which again is more than ba etc have done.

in my view Ba are piling pain on pain by misleading people as to what they are actually going to run / provide
i like the AY approach here. the cancelled a bunch of flights till march 31. and most flights are in small planes. if demand rises, first thing to do is an equp change to A320 to create more space... this seems to be a solid tactic here.
if this isnt enough you always could reinstate additional flights and offer a same day change to all pax booked on the already existing flights.

cancelling peu a peu isnt really reliable at all.
Old May 30, 2020, 6:42 am

Programs: BA, Air NZ, Qantas
Originally Posted by travellingcardiologist

Success
The 30% reduction originally only applied to April, May and June year end dates. Has this been extended to July?
Old May 30, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by air_boi
The 30% reduction originally only applied to April, May and June year end dates. Has this been extended to July?
Nope. But as previously had mentioned one off cases being considered I made contact
Old May 30, 2020, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by air_boi
The current information on BA.com does not imply July.

We understand how the current environment is affecting Executive Club memberships. We have taken steps to protect the Tier status and well-earned benefits of our Members.

We’ll be lowering Tier Point thresholds by 30% for all Members due for Tier upgrade or renewal in April, May and June. This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds as laid out below:

Bronze: 210 Tier Points

Silver: 420 Tier Points

Gold: 1050 Tier Points

To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, we’re applying a six-month expiration extension to any current vouchers.

The situation is constantly changing, which is why we’re continuously reviewing our policy and will communicate any updates.
Old May 30, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
I think we can safely assume that in the above case (1365 TP with July date) it’s almost impossible for that not to qualify.

Keep in mind the later the end date, the more generous they will have to be on the % if they follow this formula, likely until a point; probably Aug/Sep. After that it’s probably going to be a case by case.

A blanket extension of previous status and carry-over of current TP is still the best move in my opinion. I was gold last year, with a Dec end and was on 1500 TP by Feb this year so for us that were shooting for a higher status the TPs have to be carried across as an extension alone will likely be useless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.