Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: carrotjuice
BAEC notification
updated 25 March 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Executive Club Tier Flexibility Policy
We understand the substantial impact these unprecedented times are having on the lives of our Executive Club Members. We have taken steps to protect the Tier status and well-earned benefits of our Members.

We’ll be lowering Tier Point thresholds by 30% for all Members due for Tier upgrade or renewal in April, May and June. This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds as laid out below
  • Bronze: 210 Tier Points
  • Silver: 420 Tier Points
  • Gold: 1050 Tier Points
  • Gold Guest List (Renewal): 2100 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)
    Gold Guest List (Upgrade): 3500 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)

To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, we’re applying a six-month expiration extension to any current vouchers.

The situation is constantly changing, which is why we’re continuously reviewing our policy and will communicate any updates.

See here for details: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits?dr=&dt=British%20Airways%20%7C%20Book%20F lights,%20Holidays,%20City%20Breaks%20%26%20Check% 20In%20Online&scheme=&audience=travel&CUSTSEG=&GGL Member=&ban=c2b728e5fe0683865614c44450048aa6%7C%7C CAM%7C6%7CCTA1%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7CHOME%7C%7C%7C%7CL4%7 C%7C%7C%7Canonymous-inspiration%7C%7C%7C&KMtag=c&KMver=1.0&clickpage=H OME#flexibility

FAQs

Show all|Hide all
How do I benefit from the Tier Flexibility policy?If you are eligible for a Tier upgrade or renewal under this policy, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once your Tier Point collection year ends and you will receive an email from the Executive Club team to confirm this.

In the meantime, you will not see any changes to your account until the start of your new Tier Point collection year.

My Tier Point collection year ends in July 2020 or thereafter. Does the Tier Flexibility policy apply to me?The Tier Flexibility policy only applies to Members due for renewal in April, May and June 2020. We understand that the situation is constantly changing, which is why we are continuously reviewing our policies and will be in touch with any changes that are applicable to your membership in the future. There is no need to contact us.

Where can I see my Tier Point collection year end date?This can be viewed on the My Executive Club page or the mobile app. This is shown underneath your current Tier Point total, or at the bottom of the ‘My account’ page on the mobile app.

Do I need to reach the eligible flights required for my Tier to benefit from the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction?The eligible flight requirements have been waived for Members who qualify for the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction in order to renew or upgrade.

I redeemed a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher, or ticket to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a 6-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

I redeemed a Gold Upgrade Voucher on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a six-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

Is my voucher included in the six-month extension policy?This policy covers all vouchers earned using a British Airways credit card. This includes American Express Companion Vouchers, Chase Travel Together Tickets, RBC Companion Award Vouchers, Asba Companion Vouchers, RSB American Express Companion Vouchers and RSB World Mastercard Companion Vouchers.

This policy also includes Gold Upgrade Vouchers.

I am close to earning a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, with a British Airways credit card. Does the 6-month extension apply to me?We want to maximise the opportunity for Members to use their well earned vouchers. If your Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card is issued during March, April, May or June, we will be automatically applying a 6-month extension. This may take some time to reflect in your account, however there is no need to contact us.

This does not currently apply to Gold Upgrade Vouchers.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2020, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC
BA certainly aren’t short of ideas if they’ve followed this thread

Perhaps we should have a poll on the best extension, policy change ideas on here and then that might help BA to decide......
Old May 26, 2020, 6:26 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
BA certainly aren’t short of ideas if they’ve followed this thread

Perhaps we should have a poll on the best extension, policy change ideas on here and then that might help BA to decide......
I'd rather not, cause BA would just pick the least voted on choice
Old May 26, 2020, 6:27 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Maybe I’ve been in lockdown for too long and am slightly delirious, but I’m seeing increasing parallels between BA and HMG strategy and PR. Throw a reasonable but incomplete policy out there early, fail to provide clarity for many people, watch while others put clear policies out there, then (we shall see for BA) launch something a bit late in the day that is trumpeted as world-beating.

The parallel would be complete if we subsequently discovered that someone important with a farm in Northumberland turned out to have been getting special treatment all along (too soon? )

More seriously, watching this thread from the sidelines I’m interested by the apparently blind faith of some posters (or maybe they know something others don’t) that BA will do “the right thing”, whatever that may be. No doubt whatever is done will suit some, but if this crisis has shown anything, it’s that BA will only do what suits BA, and we’d better hope it doesn’t consider its customers as captive as its staff...
Old May 26, 2020, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that even SCAT airlines probably has a better policy. BA, are you really worse than SCAT? https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesas.../#5240f3744f18
Old May 26, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
Just do what Delta did:

Extend everyone 1 year.

Roll over TP from 2020 to 2021 (allowing those who would have increased in status to do so - you have 2 years to attain status.)

Fair and easy. The lack of an update from BA is deafening. This year in travel is essentially done, BA just can't/won't see it.
Agreed 100%. Apply Occam's razor and move on... no need for a deep dive on this. Give the extensions and be done with it.
Old May 26, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
No doubt whatever is done will suit some, but if this crisis has shown anything, it’s that BA will only do what suits BA...
Well, of course BA will do what is best for BA, and I'm surprised that anyone would think otherwise. They are a business, a pretty ruthless one, and everything they do, including Executive Club, is for the maximisation of revenue.
Tobias-UK and mikeyfly like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by Misco60
Well, of course BA will do what is best for BA, and I'm surprised that anyone would think otherwise. They are a business, a pretty ruthless one, and everything they do, including Executive Club, is for the maximisation of revenue.
Whereas the majority of suggestions posted have been aimed at maximising the benefits of the posters.
Agent69 likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Originally Posted by peter h
Whereas the majority of suggestions posted have been aimed at maximising the benefits of the posters.
I haven't seen many calling for everyone getting lifetime gold or anything silly. I think most suggestions have been quite balanced.

Everyone has their self-interest in mind I expect, but the self-interest of high value customers in maintaining status benefits probably coincides with BA's self-interest in retaining high-value customers. I'm sure BA have run the numbers to death on whether those benefits are worth that 'loyalty' and come up with a 'yes', otherwise they would have closed all the lounges years ago.
Old May 26, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uhhh Peter..........Misco......BA being at least moderately competitive with EVERY OTHER serious carrier ON EARTH is for BA's benefit as much as any passenger. Those sorts of comments could "fly" 2 months ago, not now when BA is competing with SCAT and ARIANA when it comes to this subject.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 9:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mike P
I don't quite understand the level of hysteria in some of the posts in this thread..
Neither do I.
IFE Wizard, rossmacd and krispy84 like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no real skin in this game, I'm GCFL, however I want BA to be a viable, competitive airline, and the way they are handling this, they are not doing what they should be doing.
ISTFlyer and drwook like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GBOAC
I agree with yoru table, and that is what I am working on (hoping for). The problem when you get to 90% reductions is that you are then in the situation that someone who happened to take a Dec/Jan premium economy return somewhere, or one way Club World plus a connecting domestic is suddnely Gold on the basis of one flight trip! Or someone with two CW return trips in say November and Jan would then be GGL (when similar rate of flying would only yield Gold in a normal year), Similarly soneone who flew discount economy in December or Jan as their once a year holiday would then be promoted to Silver. All situations are a bit silly and cast the net too wide imho, although could be an interesting incentive to get people flying again. At that point in the year previous/existing status should probably start to figure in the calculations. Which is why a blanket extension, and/or rolled TP into next with held status year would be the best course of action at this point.
I agree.

I also appreciate the challenge BA is in and the balance of short term and long term priorities here.

BA chose a short term solution. It makes sense if we had a speedy recovery and travel patterns are back to normal ~June.

Assuming travel patterns do not return to normal until sometime in 2021 BA is
  1. Locked on this path (my projected table). The problem as GBOAC calls out is it does not make sense as you apply it over additional quarters
    • The sliding window reduction model ends up with someone who made Silver early on could reach GGL with just 500TPs
    • Ultimately it lands with an extension and generates lots of customer dissatisfaction along this journey
  2. Or they have to create a new longer term solution (like the one from ISTFlyer below). However they would need to retroactively apply it to folks impacted in April/May/June
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
A fairer approach would be to consolidate 2 tier years, extend status until the end of the 2nd year and then return to normal if we don't have any second wave, or something else that would prevent flying.

I haven't mentioned in the chart but the same could be done in terms of flight segments. For example, for Silver, 50 BA flights in 2 years.

Edit: Consider the Status Valid until part as August 31, 2021; September 30, 2021; October 31, 2021;...
It didn't appear for a reason I don't know why.
I actually really like the 2 year solution proposed above and originally asked BA to consider this when my travel was impacted. We all know where EC policy landed.

Hopefully we'll get clarity soon with their July schedules and dealing with the UK quarantine mandate.
dylanks and ISTFlyer like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I can't help thinking that some people are massively over-thinking this issue.
Old May 26, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by hfly
I have no real skin in this game, I'm GCFL, however I want BA to be a viable, competitive airline, and the way they are handling this, they are not doing what they should be doing.
But how do you know? The game has only just started and BA hasn't finished what it started when it announced the threshold reductions a while ago.

Loyalty schemes are an amazing marketing invention (and you could be a testament to that), but I have no idea how 'elastic' the loyalty to BA is, or how far BA can stretch it until it snaps....
Old May 26, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by peter h
But how do you know? The game has only just started and BA hasn't finished what it started when it announced the threshold reductions a while ago.

Loyalty schemes are an amazing marketing invention (and you could be a testament to that), but I have no idea how 'elastic' the loyalty to BA is, or how far BA can stretch it until it snaps....
Right now the way my refunds were handled has kept me more loyal to BA than my Gold card which I'm sure will be renewed either through cancelled flights,meeting the 30% threshold reduction or just being gold for a number of years. While they were being a bit cute at first with pushing people to the vouchers I cannot complain about them refunding the cash unlike a lot of airlines. However given the amount of time they have taken to announce an extension BA could look at what all the others have done and top them all. Perhaps I'm being a tad naive but it would be"epic" if they did

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.