Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Court of Appeal halts LHR third runway

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Swissroll
It will still be at 99.5% capacity after its built. HAL will sweat the assets to the max
unless restricted to do so- so for example, the Gov could permit the expansion (following the requirement of the CoA ruling) but also limit the capacity to prevent aircraft holding - this would likely be better for the environment than the current situation.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by ironmouse
Good,
It's already nerve racking enough getting to LHR on the M25 . Never knowing if it's going to be clear or not, constant problems between J10 and 12.
In my opinion the last thing they need is to increase capacity on the already failing transport infrastructure around the M25.
Just my opinion.
If the M25 is a problem, then it needs to be fixed (as part of the project or separately, before the project is kicked off) but blaming HAL or LHR3 for this is not the right path.

Paraphrasing a regular question on here: What was your MP's answer when you wrote to him about this?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Misco60
I, for one (and I'm sure I'm in a minority on this forum), would much rather have green fields than yet more concrete and aviation fumes and noise. I'd like to see Heathrow become better, not bigger, and I'm more than happy to see Schiphol, Frankfurt and the middle eastern hubs take LHR's potential future business.
There are limits on flights at Schipol - 500,000 per year - which they have reached so they are developing Lleystad and moving charter and LCC carriers there (which are usually O&D) freeing up capacity st Schipol for connecting flights.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by navylad
unless restricted to do so- so for example, the Gov could permit the expansion (following the requirement of the CoA ruling) but also limit the capacity to prevent aircraft holding - this would likely be better for the environment than the current situation.
Whilst I’m sympathetic to the argument that the 3rd runway could significantly reduce hold times in the air and reduce emissions, it’s hard to see the ROI of the project meeting any kind of reasonable hurdle rate without a substantial increase in traffic.

Also, as we’ve seen mostly recently in DUB, where the airport secured planning approval for a new runway by agreeing to a (ridiculously restrictive) set of hours and traffic limits, then went back to seek to relax them even before a sod was turned on the site.
David_Doyle likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Jenni Bates of Friends of the Earth has just appeared on on BBC News. She said that "they" disagree with HAL saying they will be net zero by 2050 because HAL are relying on offsetting and they (offsetting schemes) hardly ever work.
Thanks Jenni. Friends of the Earth tell me to save my money and not to tick the box about whether or not to offset the carbon generated by my flight.

Where do they get these people from and why do they let them speak publicly?
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Jenni Bates of Friends of the Earth has just appeared on on BBC News. She said that "they" disagree with HAL saying they will be net zero by 2050 because HAL are relying on offsetting and they (offsetting schemes) hardly ever work.
Thanks Jenni. Friends of the Earth tell me to save my money and not to tick the box about whether or not to offset the carbon generated by my flight.

Its hardly surprising that they prefer true carbon reduction rather than a transfer mechanism? They aren’t the same
David_Doyle likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68

And how exactly is she wrong?
David_Doyle likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
It’s the horrid barking of the Heathrow travelators ‘you are approaching the end of the...’ that I don’t like.

Fix that to make LHR more welcoming and then think about a third runway...
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
What a waste of time and money.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
If we were serious about climate change we would be building a dozen nuclear power stations and actually make a serious dent in our CO2 emissions.
manymany, strickerj, LiHS and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Worcester
If we were serious about climate change we would be building a dozen nuclear power stations and actually make a serious dent in our CO2 emissions.
indeed, Greanpeace is partly responsible there- with them until relatively recently campaigning against nuclear power.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
This is embarrassing to the UK on a global scale.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
This is embarrassing to the UK on a global scale.
Why? Many countries manage very well with airports that are not amongst the world's largest, and the UK can now take the moral high ground about putting environment before the airline lobby.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Misco60
Why? Many countries manage very well with airports that are not amongst the world's largest, and the UK can now take the moral high ground about putting environment before the airline lobby.
It's not that, it's the excuse of another runway harming the environment when it really doesn't. UK's carbon footprint is tiny in the global scheme of things, and this will cost the government a lot of lost revenue, so everyone will suffer in a worse off economy, even the environmentalists.

You can take many other measures to stem the effect of another runway to become carbon neutral.

The UK needs to be open to business in a post Brexit world, and creating bureaucracy to hide under the environmentalist flag is not beneficial to anyone, not to mention the cost to the taxpayer of this whole 'dog and pony show'.
navylad and jfallesen like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
You can take many other measures to stem the effect of another runway to become carbon neutral.
If you take those measures anyway and don't have another runway, wouldn't that be even better?
memesweeper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.