Court of Appeal halts LHR third runway

Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
HAL have said they will appeal

Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Not surprised. Double standards though. Courts block a desperately needed 3rd runway. Meantime HS2, which will go down as the most expensive waste of public money in history, goes unchallenged in the courts and full steam ahead.
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
It will be interesting to see how this plays out and affects BA strategy. I wonder if they will regret not picking up more A380’s while they were available. It is possibly more likely to see additional A321’s for additional short haul capacity in the future. Or, they could simply hike prices.

In the meantime though, IAG will be laughing all the way to the bank given they will continue to dominate LHR for the foreseeable future.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
We desperately need runway capacity in London and it is not going to get built at LHR, at least whilst this PM is in power. So it could be 10 years before we even go back to the drawing board on LHR expansion.

Far better to start looking at new runways and terminals at LGW. Hugely inconvenient for me to have to go to LGW and I would much rather see LHR expansion go ahead. But we have to be realistic now.....
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:57 am

I'm starting to worry about London's status as a global business and transport hub.

This is going to affect LHR in the future, especially if coupled with potential ESTA-like visas to be imposed on visiting (or transferring!) passengers. Add the incredibly stupid decision of having HS2 passing within 20 km of LHR without stopping and the uncertain times for UK trade in services with the continent... it'll really dampen London's competitiveness.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:59 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Will HAL finally get their act together and provide the money to build the Southern and Western Rail Links? If the issues is carbon emissions associated with the overall facility I'd have thought making everyone not in Central london drive to the ariport can't exactly be help your argument.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:05 am

Programs: BA
China spends days building a hospital, we spend 30 years talking about building a runway...

Managed decline.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by babats
From the link to the BBC in the OP:
Ah, thank you, that item has been updated since I posted the link
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
This is a private project funded by the private sector. No tax revenue is being invested here. It is for Heathrow airport to appeal and demonstrate that the proposal will meet the requirements of the Paris agreement?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
For those who are interested in the legal and evidential arguments, here is a summary of both Judgments of the Court of Appeal together with the texts of the full judgments. There were four appeals related to the Heathrow expansion:

Summary of both Appeals: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/...ne-version.pdf

Judgment in the Appeal brought by Heathrow Hub Limited and Runway Innovations Limited: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/...ruary-2020.pdf

Judgment in the Appeals brought by Friends of the Earth, Plan B Earth and others: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/...ruary-2020.pdf
PETER01 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by SHT88T
It will be interesting to see how this plays out and affects BA strategy. I wonder if they will regret not picking up more A380’s while they were available. It is possibly more likely to see additional A321’s for additional short haul capacity in the future. Or, they could simply hike prices.

In the meantime though, IAG will be laughing all the way to the bank given they will continue to dominate LHR for the foreseeable future.
There's also another issue beyond slots and that is parking stands. LHR is not just 98-99% full slot-wise, but also stand-wise. This is particularly true for A380-sized aircrafts.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Probably a relief for the government since they now don't have to spend a few more years messing around and not building it.

​​​​​​Presumably Gatwick is now out as well then given the reasons for refusal.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by muscat
The court said the government would not appeal against the judgement. BBC News
The government doesn't need to appeal, especially if HAL will do so.

The judgement doesn't kill R3, it just means the government must reivse the Airports National Policy Statement to take account of the Paris Agreement. I can imagine there are all manor of fudges that could be included to meet this requirement, if the government wants to.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 5:03 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
I'm starting to worry about London's status as a global business and transport hub.

This is going to affect LHR in the future, especially if coupled with potential ESTA-like visas to be imposed on visiting (or transferring!) passengers. Add the incredibly stupid decision of having HS2 passing within 20 km of LHR without stopping and the uncertain times for UK trade in services with the continent... it'll really dampen London's competitiveness.
Global Britain and less Red Tape I thought we gonna have. The UK is just a confused country that doesn't know what it wants.

And for BA, well, it is not good news. It is juts a matter of time it is overtaken by KL and AF.
LGWClosedAgain and 13901 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The Government don't need to appeal to the Supreme Court

They can - if they wanted to - pass a 'not withstanding' one line bill that disapplies the climate legislation as far as LHR expansion is concerned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.