Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry changes at MCO

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Global Entry changes at MCO

Just arrived at MCO and the Global Entry process was not what I expected.

Upon arrival at the Global Entry kiosk I was greeted with a message saying the global entry experience had changed (or something to that effect). There was a button on the screen that when pressed took me straight to a new screen to manually take my photo.

After taking my photo, the kiosk spat out the receipt to hand in to the TSA agent. No fingerprints, no passport scan. Just a photo.

The TSA agent made a cursory glance of the photo against my passport and sent me on my way. On the way out there was no customs check either.

Threw me to be honest. Very efficient and fast.

Wonder whether MCO is trialing this new method? I was travelling through Chicago last week and the process was not using this new method, it was using the process of fingerprints and passport scan.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 3:49 pm

This new GE update has been around for quite some time at various other airports - I wonder if there is a list somewhere?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JFX1764
This new GE update has been around for quite some time at various other airports - I wonder if there is a list somewhere?
Good to know. Certainly better.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
What OP describes is exactly what happened to me on arrival at Philadelphia two weeks ago, if that's any use as a data point.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:32 pm

Still the 'old' GE at BWI on 29/1
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:45 pm

https://www.afar.com/magazine/global...ion-technology
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
The new style GE gates are also available at SAN. The first time going through with the new kiosk was so fast that at first I thought that maybe I had piggybacked onto the tail end of someone else’s session that they had abandoned.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
It is actually facial recognition, if you looked at your recipt, it had your name, flight number, passport number etc all from taking a picture of your face.

First time I did it at EWR, I was spooked....

Then I thought about it, it isn't like it searched 100 mil faces in 2-3 seconds....it knew I was on XX flt, it knew that flight just landed and there were XX number of GE people on that flight, so, p[retty small group to search from. Even if 3-4 flights land together, still a pretty small pool to search from.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
It is actually facial recognition, if you looked at your recipt, it had your name, flight number, passport number etc all from taking a picture of your face.

Then I thought about it, it isn't like it searched 100 mil faces in 2-3 seconds....it knew I was on XX flt, it knew that flight just landed and there were XX number of GE people on that flight, so, p[retty small group to search from. Even if 3-4 flights land together, still a pretty small pool to search from.
You should still be spooked because this tech certainly can find you out of 100 million faces.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:49 pm

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Bonvoy
I used a GE kiosk at SLC on Jan 23 and it had the new system. I had read comments about the new approach on FT so it wasn't a surprise.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Details here: Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hipplewm

Thanks for this.

At first I was convinced the process had failed, and I also thought the previous session was still in play.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:26 pm

New kiosks are at DFW also. Sometimes I get waived through, sometimes they ask a question or two. Very fast.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:14 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by CKBA
Still the 'old' GE at BWI on 29/1
And at LAX on Friday
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:24 pm

Also at MIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.