FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Global Entry changes at MCO (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2007276-global-entry-changes-mco.html)

BillyBleach Feb 2, 20 3:47 pm

Global Entry changes at MCO

Just arrived at MCO and the Global Entry process was not what I expected.

Upon arrival at the Global Entry kiosk I was greeted with a message saying the global entry experience had changed (or something to that effect). There was a button on the screen that when pressed took me straight to a new screen to manually take my photo.

After taking my photo, the kiosk spat out the receipt to hand in to the TSA agent. No fingerprints, no passport scan. Just a photo.

The TSA agent made a cursory glance of the photo against my passport and sent me on my way. On the way out there was no customs check either.

Threw me to be honest. Very efficient and fast.

Wonder whether MCO is trialing this new method? I was travelling through Chicago last week and the process was not using this new method, it was using the process of fingerprints and passport scan.

JFX1764 Feb 2, 20 3:49 pm

This new GE update has been around for quite some time at various other airports - I wonder if there is a list somewhere?

BillyBleach Feb 2, 20 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by JFX1764 (Post 32024983)
This new GE update has been around for quite some time at various other airports - I wonder if there is a list somewhere?

Good to know. Certainly better.

CCayley Feb 2, 20 4:30 pm

What OP describes is exactly what happened to me on arrival at Philadelphia two weeks ago, if that's any use as a data point.

CKBA Feb 2, 20 4:32 pm

Still the 'old' GE at BWI on 29/1

aristoph Feb 2, 20 4:45 pm

https://www.afar.com/magazine/global...ion-technology

Reetmafreen Feb 2, 20 5:09 pm

The new style GE gates are also available at SAN. The first time going through with the new kiosk was so fast that at first I thought that maybe I had piggybacked onto the tail end of someone else’s session that they had abandoned.

Hipplewm Feb 2, 20 5:19 pm

It is actually facial recognition, if you looked at your recipt, it had your name, flight number, passport number etc all from taking a picture of your face.

First time I did it at EWR, I was spooked....

Then I thought about it, it isn't like it searched 100 mil faces in 2-3 seconds....it knew I was on XX flt, it knew that flight just landed and there were XX number of GE people on that flight, so, p[retty small group to search from. Even if 3-4 flights land together, still a pretty small pool to search from.

whimike Feb 2, 20 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm (Post 32025209)
It is actually facial recognition, if you looked at your recipt, it had your name, flight number, passport number etc all from taking a picture of your face.

Then I thought about it, it isn't like it searched 100 mil faces in 2-3 seconds....it knew I was on XX flt, it knew that flight just landed and there were XX number of GE people on that flight, so, p[retty small group to search from. Even if 3-4 flights land together, still a pretty small pool to search from.

You should still be spooked because this tech certainly can find you out of 100 million faces.

Barcky Feb 2, 20 5:49 pm

I used a GE kiosk at SLC on Jan 23 and it had the new system. I had read comments about the new approach on FT so it wasn't a surprise.

mnbp Feb 2, 20 6:54 pm

Details here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...cognition.html

BillyBleach Feb 2, 20 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm (Post 32025209)

Thanks for this.

At first I was convinced the process had failed, and I also thought the previous session was still in play.

Pocalypse Feb 2, 20 7:26 pm

New kiosks are at DFW also. Sometimes I get waived through, sometimes they ask a question or two. Very fast.

Markie Feb 2, 20 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by CKBA (Post 32025105)
Still the 'old' GE at BWI on 29/1

And at LAX on Friday

harpodamann Feb 2, 20 9:24 pm

Also at MIA