Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787-9 appalling World Traveller seats

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
QR 787s are 9 abreast as well. Coming back from DOH last week, I was going to do my usual mid flight walking loop but gave up half way down the first Y aisle. I was having to essentially crab it sideways down the aisle because of all the shoulders and legs sticking out. It didn’t look comfortable at all, and I have flown a fair bit of longhaul Y.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by krispy84
QR 787s are 9 abreast as well. Coming back from DOH last week, I was going to do my usual mid flight walking loop but gave up half way down the first Y aisle. I was having to essentially crab it sideways down the aisle because of all the shoulders and legs sticking out. It didn’t look comfortable at all, and I have flown a fair bit of longhaul Y.
And it's probably even less comfortable when premium passengers treat the economy cabin as an exercise circuit. Don't do it.
masmadrid likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
I too have sworn not to fly Y on a 787 again, its really appalling - too tight and too hard.

If you have to I urge you to try for an aisle seat and to choose the side of the plane that suits your eating/drinking hand preferences.

Also if like me you have a rather flat behind take a pillow as it like sitting on a park bench.
masmadrid likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:15 am

I did my first 789 Y flights last week. I was lucky not to have anybody next to me in the exit row but it would have been unbearable if there had been somebody there. Legroom obviously not an issue at the exit but there was zero room at the hips and i was overlapping seats at the shoulders. Vueling was up to now the only airline I flatly refused to fly but the BA 787s have joined them.

I cant fathom how the 788 is worse.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by 1010101
I did my first 789 Y flights last week. I was lucky not to have anybody next to me in the exit row but it would have been unbearable if there had been somebody there. Legroom obviously not an issue at the exit but there was zero room at the hips and i was overlapping seats at the shoulders. Vueling was up to now the only airline I flatly refused to fly but the BA 787s have joined them.

I cant fathom how the 788 is worse.
I recall the BA 788 side is narrower than the 789 by a small amount. I think BA actually took some feedback on board from the initial 788 experience
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
It's really not pleasant for someone of my build. If I'm flying long haul now has to be a minimum of Y+.

As CWS mentioned above, the moment a reasonable POUG presents itself, get the CC out.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by TTmex
It's really not pleasant for someone of my build. If I'm flying long haul now has to be a minimum of Y+.

As CWS mentioned above, the moment a reasonable POUG presents itself, get the CC out.
Out of principle I will just fly another airline. I'm not rewarding BA for turning the screw on its passengers.
EuropeanPete and PAL62V like this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:38 am

You don't really need to mention the nationality of your fellow passenger, especially when you contrast them with an assertive person. Less stereotyping please.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
My first ever World Traveller experience was on a 787, and as a heffalump it was a pretty shoddy experience. And that was benefiting from a slim Malaysian student next to me, a fellow assertive 'lump would have made it even worse.

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 31, 2020 at 1:46 pm Reason: Repair quotation frame
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:59 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by tc69
You don't really need to mention the nationality of your fellow passenger, especially when you contrast them with an assertive person. Less stereotyping please.
What's the problem - was that you in the middle? You could have picked a lot of people to say that about, myself in particular, but not C-W-S. A more fair minded individual one on this Forum, I have yet to encounter. His advice is invaluable and what he had forgotten about British Airways, most have never had time to learn.

People ask me why I pay to fly in Club, and this is why. I have no problem with leg room even in CE (I've not flown in ET for years) and this is why. I am a fat person magnet. For some reason they sit next to me and threaten to engulf me. Those seats sound dreadful and yet I am sure that if there was any way that they could squeeze 11 seats, they would do just that. They just do not seem to have caught up with the idea that the populations in the West are ever more corpulent and take up more room. My sympathies to all involved.Might I add that the aisles are not much fun for those who have to shimmy down them.
HIDDY, lloydah and 20Rothmans like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 31, 2020 at 1:48 pm Reason: Repair quotation frame
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:17 am

My first 787 trip I was sat at the window with two average build strangers as neighbours. The only way we could all sit was if I twisted slightly into the window, the middle chap then placed his left shoulder on top of my right oneand his right shoulder under the left shoulder of aisle chap. We sat slightly twisted and thus intertwined the whole way back from the US. I was pretty sore afterward for sitting that long in a twisted position.

I vowed never to do it again and so far have only had one more 787 flight in Y. TS came to my aid but even so it's a brutal seat. For those who think they've experienced something similar on other frames, think again. You really haven't. And I say that as someone who normally pays little heed to details like which plane, which generation of seats etc. Heck I even like old WTP!
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:38 am
Suspended

I enjoyed my multiple B787 ride on four airlines: AA (B788, Y), LO (B788, W), SQ (B787-10, Y) and CA (B789, Y and J). No complaint.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by ermis177
The 787 is awful in economy. I did it a few times for LHR-BOG but i have given up. Now i fly via Frankfurt with LH (A340). Who would imagine that such an 'old' plane would be 10 times better than a new plane....
I remember i read someone on tripadvisor that called BA to change his flight because he was on 787 in economy and the BA agent told him that 787 is extremely popular in economy among flyers and they never received any complains! ( pretty much same response we get from some of the BA fanatics on this forum...)
Funny you should say that. I commute to BOG 15 times a year and take the A340 but not a fan of it. I find it worn and the worst of LH aircrafts. I wish BA restarted the route. The fact that BA does not even file fares from EU to BOG means I cannot fly BA, or use gufs...
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 1010101
Out of principle I will just fly another airline. I'm not rewarding BA for turning the screw on its passengers.
I see you point, but I also think it is unfair to suggest that BA is turning the screw any more than most, considering that the alternatives on my regular route are Aeromexico and they are 9 across and have zero worthwhile benefits. My other option is via the US and AA is not pretty in Y either. Very few are only 8 across. JAL springs to mind, but when I went to book with them to fly MEX-DFW-NRT-HAN, they wouldn't let me reserve economy seats with O fare bucket and Emerald level, thus I went for Y+ anyway. It's unfortunately a global trend that airlines are looking to shovel more people in
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: GGL
I have a friend who owns a fair bit of Suffolk, travels extensively, but would never dream of booking anything but economy. We share interests in a few aircraft so tend to discuss flying, and when he reports a 787 flight I enquire, driven by reports on this forum, if he doesn't find the seats rather narrow (he is broad in the right places).

The answer is always no.

Last edited by Mixbury; Jan 31, 2020 at 11:07 am
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Misco60
And it's probably even less comfortable when premium passengers treat the economy cabin as an exercise circuit. Don't do it.
We all make our own judgements at different times. You make yours and I’ll make mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.