787-9 appalling World Traveller seats

Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: alaska
Originally Posted by 1010101
Out of principle I will just fly another airline. I'm not rewarding BA for turning the screw on its passengers.
The issue is most people just look for the cheapest flight. They've never looked at flyertalk or seatguru to know the difference. I'm 100% with you, I won't fly the 9 across 787 or the 10 across economy in the 777, I leave bad reviews whenever possible for those planes, but unfortunately it doesn't hurt the airlines pocketbooks.
HIDDY and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: alaska
The 787 is a great plane. My JAL experience on it and my experiences flying in PE on it have been great.

The airlines are the one that ruined it with the 9 across.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:55 pm

Iím 6í1Ē and 190 lbs. In econ I prefer windows so I can lean against the side wall. The 787 is terrible for me in econ windows as unlike the 777 which has vertical side walls the 787 has a curve to it that hits my shoulder.

The slimline seat pan is short and causes my legs to go numb.

Being a flyer from SIN I bailed on UA and had to move to other airlines with PE for that flight. Now Iíll never return to UA for that flight again unless in J.

I truly hate the 787 econ as the comfort just isnít there.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by gdam22
The 787 is a great plane. My JAL experience on it and my experiences flying in PE on it have been great.
I flew JAL from HND to LHR, and it truly was my worst ever flight.

I'm fat. So I was truly grateful that it seemed I was going to be seated by myself by the window on what appeared to be an extremely full flight.

Unfortunately this was not to be! The person seated next to me was large, and I mean large. No matter how I edged away or contorted by body I could not get away from his legs rubbing against mine. Truly awful.

While I know it's not JAL's fault, they are the one that gets to take the blame.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Iíve flown SIN-SFO in the back of United - no biggie at all.

On Feb 20th, Iíll be flying in the back of United on a 787-9 from CPT-EWR.

Unless you are a fatty, people really over exaggerate the comfort. The issue with comfort isnít the width, but the lack of cushioning in the seat and lack of recline. However, that applies to virtually all planes in economy.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:56 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
The issue is most people just look for the cheapest flight.
It's often quoted on FT and has become gospel by by being repeated so many times, but I don't believe it. People choose according to may parameters, and price is just one. Many people, especially with families will choose flights with the fewest connection, or even better a non stop flight.

I have a number of friends who choose a vacation spot based on where they can go non stop. Price is a secondary consideration. They hate being cramped in planes and going through security again at large airports, so make sure the flight is as short and painless as possible; at a price they can afford.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:48 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Never flew in WT seats on the 787, but having winessed the tortured faces and contorted bodies of passengers on an overnight flight (when I went for a walk from my WT+ seat) was enough to convince me that I will never book a seat in that cabin.
I wonder what these professional contortionists would make of these seats?
They might find it tolerable
https://youtu.be/ZTyQgCruY-E

Last edited by IntVic; Jan 31, 2020 at 10:55 pm
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:21 am

I fly the 787 every month on LH for work and hate it. As a big boned person, unless I get an empty seat next to me, it's an uncomfortable flight for myself and for the person unlucky enough to have to sit next to me.

I have little to no choice on airline or routing, which comes down to pure cost due to the requirement to answer to shareholders
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by Jagboi
It's often quoted on FT and has become gospel by by being repeated so many times, but I don't believe it.
I wish it wasnít true, but the available evidence suggests otherwise. Airlines will have very good commercial data to work from. If they thought they could make more money and differentiate themselves from the competition by offering something better in terms of seat dimensions, they would, but they donít. Indeed the evidence points to the opposite, AA got rid of its commitment to more spacious seating throughout coach/economy and BA started moving to 10 across on the 777, despite initially resisting the step that others (QR, EK, UA and CX) had already taken.

The importance of pricing is clear in the short haul market where low cost carriers have been able to grow there businesses exponentially, whereas legacy carriers havenít.

Hopefully the love affair with the cheapest ticket will pass, but for a lot of travellers, flying is just a necessity of life for work, reuniting families etc that they wonít wish to spend any more on than they have to. Until then, airlines will point out that those who want to pay a bit more have access to premium economy products.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:18 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, as a 744. Three days a week - Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays - BA2249 would depart LGW North at 10:15 hrs to CCS, taking 9 hours 20 minutes, and then on to BOG for the 2 hour hop. BA didn't have 5th freedom rights between CCS and BOG.
They also operated a LHR-CCS-BOG with a 767-300ER. That was my last flight in my last job in 2004.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
I've only flown a 787 with QR in J or BA in WT+. Would never fly in Y on a 787.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:33 am

The issue is most people just look for the cheapest flight. They've never looked at flyertalk or seatguru to know the difference. I'm 100% with you, I won't fly the 9 across 787 or the 10 across economy in the 777, I leave bad reviews whenever possible for those planes, but unfortunately it doesn't hurt the airlines pocketbooks.
That's true but only up to a point. On the extreme end the 737 MAX is almost a guaranteed failure because even occasional flyers will actively avoid it. If BA gets enough people, especially their frequent flyers, avoiding the 787s they will have to do something about it. They wouldn't have acknowledged the 788 problems if they weren't aware of that.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by wb1969
Never flown on a 787 and will go out of my way to ensure I never will.
Same here... In Y anyway. I've done J on QR and AA, and that was fine.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
And it's probably even less comfortable when premium passengers treat the economy cabin as an exercise circuit. Don't do it.
oh please.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mctaste
oh please.
I see it as a simple matter of respect and consideration towards those at the back.

CW passengers already have all the space they could possibly need on a flight and would undoubtedly hate it (and complain) if Y passengers, who have significantly less space of their own, were to come traipsing through the cabin to stretch their legs. The WT cabin is as much "their" cabin as the CW cabin is "ours", and we should not be adding to the discomfort of passengers by wandering through their space every time we feel like it.
lhrsfo likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.