Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crew baggage in overhead lockers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ecaarch
Those of us that step down from our elite thrones and actually talk to the crew (and ordering a refill of the Bombay and tonic doesn't count as talking for these purposes) know that inflight theft from crew baggage is a real problem. This problem is more severe on longhaul flights, but it happens on shorthaul flights as well. Most crews place their bags in lockers at the front of the plane on narrowbody flights because it is nearest the galley and they are more likely to be aware of somebody going through their bags.
Right. So thieves must tend to select and favour crew baggage over passengers' baggage. That is quite a skill! Or is it that passengers' belongings matter less? If I was that concerned about theft, I would lock my bags, which I do.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Never had this row 1 problem...always further down nearer the back. I did encounter one selfish passenger who having used his locker space for his and his wife's bags then decided to.use my locker space to place their neatly folded barathea coats in. He got all huffy when I put my bag on top of them.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ringingup
Right. So thieves must tend to select and favour crew baggage over passengers' baggage. That is quite a skill! Or is it that passengers' belongings matter less? If I was that concerned about theft, I would lock my bags, which I do.
Actually, I didn't say that at all. Thieves like an easy target. The crew likes to not be that target. It's as simple as that.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
... then decided to.use my locker space to place their neatly folded barathea coats in...
What do you consider your locker space? I'm not being confrontational, just curious how others view this. On E145's, for example, there isn't even a locker over 1A & 2A, so using 3C/D is the only way you can store something.

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I do actually agree with the OP's response. The reaction of the CC should have been to move their luggage further down.
Because cabin crew have nothing else to do during boarding.....

Programs: BA Gold
I’ve generally found that a polite “would you mind moving it please?” works.

On occasion I get some variation of “Its a really busy flight!” with/or an eye roll and a huff, in which case I’m a bit more forceful and point out I am/we are paying after all.

It’s not unique to BA though - had it on AA, JL, MH and DL before, and that was just in 2019.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Because cabin crew have nothing else to do during boarding.....
Like finding space for hand luggage
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by darthlemsip

On occasion I get some variation of “Its a really busy flight!” with/or an eye roll and a huff, in which case I’m a bit more forceful and point out I am/we are paying after all.

It’s not unique to BA though - had it on AA, JL, MH and DL before, and that was just in 2019.
Because your entitlement to the space above your seat is far more important than any other passenger’s entitlement to the space above their seat? Wow.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Because your entitlement to the space above your seat is far more important than any other passenger’s entitlement to the space above their seat? Wow.
Any chance you can point out where I said that? I think the ‘wow’ is back at you there
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:58 am

Any chance you can point out where I said that? I think the ‘wow’ is back at you there
Because you want the crew to remove the bag from the space above your seat..... and put it in the space above an obviously less important passenger.
ls17031 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by seanp7
What do you consider your locker space? I'm not being confrontational, just curious how others view this. On E145's, for example, there isn't even a locker over 1A & 2A, so using 3C/D is the only way you can store something.
I realise some lockers don't exist or overlap seat rows but he seemed to think it was alright to use two locker spaces for all their stuff. Which is fine but not before everyone has boarded...especially if it's for coats you don't want crushed.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:59 am

If BA expects crew to have bags in cabin surely they should provide/designate a stowage area rather than leaving crew to face disgruntled passengers?
The BA CE product is marginal enough already without this irritation, and as another poster mentioned, having to go back down the cabin against the disembarkation flow to retrieve bags is plain ridiculous.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Bullswood
If BA expects crew to have bags in cabin surely they should provide/designate a stowage area rather than leaving crew to face disgruntled passengers?
The BA CE product is marginal enough already without this irritation, and as another poster mentioned, having to go back down the cabin against the disembarkation flow to retrieve bags is plain ridiculous.
Seemingly crew have been informed by their managers their belongings should be stowed in the back of the CE cabin and not in the locker space above Row 1. No idea if that is fact or fiction but if that's the Rule then they should be obeying it. Not that I really care whether they do or not it has to be said.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
Have never been upfront till recently on an international trip, always assumed there was a special space for crew gear on all planes...
Honestly, I think bulkhead rows should get reserved/priority space in overheads above them since there's no underseat stowage in front of them and we're required to stow carryons somewhere.
Sure, overhead space is shared space, but if the airline isn't giving you space in front of you which is included with every other non bulkhead seat, it has to come from somewhere. If it's open once the bulkhead passengers sit and stowed carryons, then it should be fair game for anyone to store carryons according to the airline's rules.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Bullswood
Perhaps all BA planes should be fitted with a luggage rack on the roof of the plane for crew bags, so that paying customers don’t have to look at them.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.