Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios redemption baggage allowance on JAL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Avios redemption baggage allowance on JAL

Hi this is my first post so i hope i'm not in the wrong place.
I booked a BA Avios redemption on JAL for a domestic flight within Japan. On my email it says i'm entitled to 2x23kgs but it also says to check with JAL. If i use the link provided by BA it still says 2x23kgs. If i go on JAL website myself it says 20kgs for a domestic. Normally 20kgs would be plenty but i plan to make another redemption for a JAL domestic flight and they use small planes so i would need to check in my hand baggage as it wouldn't fit on board in the overhead bins.
My question is which rule should i follow? JAL to be on the safe side? Or has anybody else on here made an Avios booking on a JAL domestic flight and checked 2 bags with no issue?
Thank you to anybody who has any insight for me
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
What's the booking class, and do you have OneWorld frequent flyer status?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
What's the booking class, and do you have OneWorld frequent flyer status?
Economy and no i don't unfortunately
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:42 am

I kind of assumed you would have status, because BA says you're entitled to a second bag yet you would only have one 23kg bag on a regular BA economy avios redemption.

As such, I would assume that the operating airline's rules apply and you'll be limited to 20kg. I don't have any experience as to whether JAL allows hand luggage to be gate checked, but JL says that this is a weight limit, not a limit on the number of pieces. So if you're under 20kg in total, you wouldn't have anything extra to pay. If you're over, the cost is only in the order of £3 or so per kg depending on route length, so not a fortune.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/baggage/checked/
Ssammie likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Just to say a warm welcome to Flyertalk and here on the BA Board Ssammie. ^

I've only redeemed once on JAL, a few years ago too so really have no experience re your specific 2 bag question but as I understand it JAL's extra bag fees are not that big really. Happy flying!
Ssammie likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:09 am
Original Poster

I would post a screenshot but not allowed right now. I'll just stick with 20kgs and hope for the best. Or i can always book a different ticket which i know has 2 bags. I just wanted to save money. I've never actually booked a flight using Avios before and i don't like not knowing my allowance. Thanks for your replies!

Last edited by Ssammie; Jan 16, 2020 at 7:12 am Reason: Thank you
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:23 am

Hello again Ssammie

@CPH-Flyer is a BA/OW regular here who has lots of JAL experience but maybe others here can give a specific answer but I wouldn't trust it says 2 bags on a Y ticket with no status!

Although crossposting isn't really allowed if there's no reply here the it may be worth asking here. There's also info on how to select a seat through JAL.

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)
Ssammie likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Hello again Ssammie

@CPH-Flyer I wouldn't trust it says 2 bags on a Y ticket with no status!
[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)
I wouldn't trust BA whatsoever, but the link I posted is quite clear that "Up to 20kg is free of charge for each passenger. *No limit to the number of bags." So in theory, you can buy 12×1.6 kg budget suitcases and chuck them all in the hold empty, if that's your thing.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:48 am

I wouldn't trust BA whatsoever, but the link I posted is quite clear that "Up to 20kg is free of charge for each passenger. *No limit to the number of bags." So in theory, you can buy 12×1.6 kg budget suitcases and chuck them all in the hold empty, if that's your thing.
Thanks. I was just adding a supplementary post to your link/info.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:54 am
Original Poster

i'm most definitely going to be over 20kgs! i'll only have 1 hold bag and 1 hand baggage though!
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
What's the puddle jumper you're planning on? I flew JL Embraers, but they have decent enough overheads. I suspect taking your carry-on to the gate would be fine though.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
2x23kg is the standard international allowance for JAL.
Domestic is 20kg, but if you're booked on a Japan Explorer Pass fare, you get 2x23kg... which I'm not sure if you can book with Avios, I always booked these directly with JAL.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:51 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
What's the JAL route your flying?

JAL operate a mix of different types on domestics - Embraer 170/190, Boeing 737-800, 767-300, 777-200, 787-800, Airbus A350-900.

I believe one of their subsidiary's also operate Dash 8-400's . Not sure if they operate anything smaller.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
Originally Posted by McG
I believe one of their subsidiary's also operate Dash 8-400's . Not sure if they operate anything smaller.
Saab 340B are on a few routes.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:26 am
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by Ssammie
Hi this is my first post so i hope i'm not in the wrong place.
I booked a BA Avios redemption on JAL for a domestic flight within Japan. On my email it says i'm entitled to 2x23kgs but it also says to check with JAL.
I think the "check with airline" is for hand baggage. Here is one of my bookings.
Ssammie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.