Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Willie Walsh to retire, replaced by IB CEO

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 13901
I think Luis will do a good job at IAG. It's interesting how the leadership at IAG has changed almost 100% in a couple of years. I left BA with Willie at the helm, Enrique Dupuy at the tiller and 'Teflon' Bill at the CIO place. I now find Luis at the helm, Steve Gunning at the tiller and John Gibbs as CIO. Interestingly enough, now Brits outnumber non-Brits 2 to 3 in these position. Before it was the other way round... just saying.
Interesting re John Gibbs as CIO - the IT at Rolls-Royce isn't great either.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Are we having a FT Collection for a leaving gift?
The ‘retirement package’ will be generous to say the very least.

But nonetheless, perhaps a piggy bank might be a welcome gift ; useful for storing all those pennies he’s been pinching over the years ..............
headingwest and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by frandrake
In all honesty, while I do often criticise BA, I find any comparison with low cost to be preposterous.
Walsh’s success over 15 years in his last 3 jobs was precisely because of his ability to take substantial cost out of each of the businesses he ran, whilst increasing revenue. I’d even go further to say his key differentiator was that he cottoned on much quicker than almost every other legacy airline that low cost was the only way. It’s inevitable that his successor will continue to follow this path and follow as close to Ryanair and the other low cost leaders as they can get away with without impacting revenue.

This actually struck me earlier in the week, queuing up to board a Ryanair plane 20 mins before boarding started, as I had done exactly the same on a BA flight the previous week.

The point is not that there is no difference between the two models, rather that that list of differentiators between low cost and BA gets smaller year on year.
13901 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mda03jb
Unfortunately this is now modern aviation, I don’t think a publicly owned airline anywhere in the world can generate significant profits while delivering 1960’s soft product and 2020’s hard product, joe public (& increasingly most corporate travel budgets) just wont pay the premium.
While not quite 1960s soft product, Delta still does manage to run a respectably profitable air operation and still provide free seat assignment for all fare classes except economy basic, true 24 hour global customer service, an IT system that lets you rebook from your phone for many IRROPS misconnects, included soft drinks, crisps, and biscuits for all on short haul flights more than an hour, and an employee group empowered and willing to go beyond the contract of carriage minimum in terms of resolving customer issues. (And their annual 'please don't unionize' profit-sharing bonus to employees has been in the 10% range in recent years)
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by toothy
Interesting re John Gibbs as CIO - the IT at Rolls-Royce isn't great either.
And don't get me started with their engines
toothy likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Is this a genuine retirement or has he got something else up his sleeve?

Will he become a non-exec or like Tim Clark at EK stay on as some sort of advisory capacity?

Go into teaching? I know he does tour around giving talks/interviews at UK universities.

Has he actually got a new job lined up? He is known to be close friends with Michael O’Leary or join Norwegian to straighten them out.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by rapidex
6 feet under.
..and spinning like a whisk..?

So sorry to see old yellow vest passed over for the upgrade. Didums
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:08 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
So can we now get cava instead of ghastly champagne and replace FLY with Resiber? All in the name of enhancement, of course.
You wicked boy! I actually thought that you meant that and had my hairbrush set to lethal mode!
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG, TK Elite, IHG Amb & HH Diamond
On the ABC News website: "IAG’s share price on the London stock exchange rose more than 1% to 625.20 pounds after the announcement."
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by onemoretrip
On the ABC News website: "IAG’s share price on the London stock exchange rose more than 1% to 625.20 pounds after the announcement."
625.20 pence maybe, otherwise there will be some VERY happy shareholders

Closed at 634.600 (+2.62% )
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Lifetime free F travel for self and family for Board is not to be sniffed at.
Unlike his staff, who had lifetime travel taken away.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Watch out Willie!!

T8191 and headingwest like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Watch out Willie!!

Wife no 1 has already taken a sizeable divorce settlement it seems.

now I wonder what happens to the 737max letter of intent after June? Does it become an order or just the intention gets dropped?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by DFB_london
now I wonder what happens to the 737max letter of intent after June? Does it become an order or just the intention gets dropped?
I don’t imagine the change will have particular impact on that, unless the IB CEO had been personally quite opposed to it. Ultimately it would have been a board-sanctioned decision.

Of course that doesn’t mean that it will actually lead anywhere, especially given the ever-extending grounding.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:56 am

I suppose he has a number of achievements - namely securing a pretty robust future for BA.

Nevertheless, the obsession with 'superior' investor returns probably has devalued the value/asset of the BA brand. His successor will need to map a tight course that balances shareholder needs with ensuring the right level of investment goes into the business (particularly replacing all those old aircraft) and genuinely growing the business (how much further cost cutting can be realistically achieved?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.