Wiki Posts
Search

Lack of Cathay Pacific inventory

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Centurion, Virgin Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Lack of Cathay Pacific inventory

Is anybody noticing a lack of Cathay availability to HKG with Avios? Given the lack of demand to Hong Kong I would have assumed an abundance of reward availability via BA.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:40 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I think it's been a general issue and there's been a few threads on it including this one.

Where has all the CX Avios availability gone?
ExpatSomchai likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:33 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Also you’d be surprised how full CX flights have been the last few weeks. They have been able to pick up the slack with traffic that only transits HKG.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
Also you’d be surprised how full CX flights have been the last few weeks. They have been able to pick up the slack with traffic that only transits HKG.
I don't think that transit traffic has picked up the slack. It has been less affected, but but not really increased to offset the drop in pax to/from HKG.
The only bright spot is Europe traffic that has been increasing despite some reduction in capacity.

But it is very difficult to get award seats using avios to/from HKG (easier on married segments (e.g. TPE-HKG-BKK). That's very bad on regional flights.
One of my CX friend says that's because BA pays little for intra-Asia awards. I have no idea whether this source is reliable or inventing the story. It could also be that CX is pissed off with BA for variousreasons, including their agreement with CZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.