Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA286 SFO-LHR 4th Jan equipment change A380 to 52J 744

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Hey folks,

Just had a notification from BA about an equipment change as per the thread title. It's our first club world experience so a bit gutted.

"BA286 on 04/01/2020 to LHR - Due to a reduction in aircraft capacity, you may travel on another service from San Francisco or San Jose to London Heathrow from 03-JAN to 05-JAN. Please contact us or your travel agent."

I'm on an Iberia codeshare on this flight and the seat map is showing only 4 free seats on the replacement aircraft.

I have an onward from LGW to CDG on the 6th with Vueling as part of the same PNR.

I need to overnight in London, so what's the best strategy for getting the best experience onboard, but also retaining my overnight in London?

Cheers!
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Availability is currently showing zeroed our currently, with the seat map currently showing as below. I personally quite like the 747s in CW, particularly if you are able to get the upper-deck- currently showing one seat blocked (?for status) so if your travelling alone that may open up at some point, otherwise I’d nap the window spot for the time being of you can. Keep an eye on things regularly, as others may decide to change their plans, other seats may well open up.

Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

We're a couple, so I'll keep an eye on the seat map I guess, I lost my bronze status so will have to wait until t-24.

Considering switching to the SJC flight on the 787, but I don't know how easy it is to get there without a car from downtown SF.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by NandoDave
We're a couple, so I'll keep an eye on the seat map I guess, I lost my bronze status so will have to wait until t-24.

Considering switching to the SJC flight on the 787, but I don't know how easy it is to get there without a car from downtown SF.
cant give you any advice on getting to SJC, but info this is the availability and seat map With only 2 seats showing available in J (and potentially they may well be upgrading some J to F of the two seats are actually there, I wouldn’t hang about), presumable others are considering their options too.

SJC 6:20p → LHR 12:40p
F2 A1 J2 C0 D0 R0 I0 W6 E4 T0 Y9 B6 H3 K3 M3 L2 V2 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

looking at google, a car would take you 90 minutes, there is a coach between SFO and SJC if that helps. According to google it would take about 100 minutes from San Fran itself.

Last edited by navylad; Dec 31, 2019 at 3:36 pm
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold

2 and a bit hours by public transport, but does require a change.

Uber or Lyft at just over an hour each - or look for a local car service. Should be around $100
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's fairly straightforward from Santa Clara Caltrain service, however on a Saturday the Caltrain service frequency is fairly scarce, so you'll have to carefully plan the schedule. From Santa Clara station there is regular bus link to the airport or you can just take a taxi for that last section, it's less than 10 minutes. If you're trying to keep it simple, the alternative is to take the BART all the way down to Warm Springs, the end of the line, and a taxi/Uber/Lyft from there. That runs often enough,, it's 20 minutes from Warm Springs to the airport.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Given that I don't have seat selection capabilities, possibly sitting tight and going to the airport is the best option.

Am I right in thinking that the 54J 744's are a tad delapidated? Was really looking forward to A380 CW
Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Given that I don't have seat selection capabilities, possibly sitting tight and going to the airport is the best option.

Am I right in thinking that the 54J 744's are a tad delapidated? Was really looking forward to A380 CW
Hi,

They have been cleaned and the majority ( over 50%) of them? have been refurbished with better IFE ( there is the Mid J 747 thread to provide details

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by navylad
I personally quite like the 747s in CW, particularly if you are able to get the upper-deck- currently showing one seat blocked (?for status)
64A on the upper deck is blocked out as a bassinet seat, so it will open closer to departure.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:13 am

You can also BART (South) to Millbrae and Uber/Lyft from there. It avoids the whole going North to go South thing (which you do going to WarmSprings/South Fremont.). Your overall journey will be quicker but you'll spend more on the rideshare portion of the trip. This is probably what I would do deepening on where I was in SF.

rb211.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've taken the Caltrain and then caught the bus a couple of times - very straightforward. The bus is a free shuttle service.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by estate
I've taken the Caltrain and then caught the bus a couple of times - very straightforward. The bus is a free shuttle service.
Thanks for all the replies folks. At the moment I'm staying put and relying on the rest of the passengers exercising the flexibility. My main concern is to ensure we get enough time in London to go home and drop our luggage.

I asked for the advice on the SJC connection but omitted to say I have to drop my car back to SFO rental car center, so I would be going SFO -> SJC. I suspect the best way to do that would be to book another car for immediately after dropping my current car off!!!
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Thanks for all the replies folks. At the moment I'm staying put and relying on the rest of the passengers exercising the flexibility. My main concern is to ensure we get enough time in London to go home and drop our luggage.

I asked for the advice on the SJC connection but omitted to say I have to drop my car back to SFO rental car center, so I would be going SFO -> SJC. I suspect the best way to do that would be to book another car for immediately after dropping my current car off!!!
I would first call and determine what it would cost to drop at SJC rather than SFO. While the conventional wisdom is that this makes it an expensive one-way rental, you may find that between the cost of a separate rental (a minimum of one day) and perhaps the difference in airport fees for SFO above SJC, that there is not much difference. That would allow you not to have to spend your last day making multiple trips around SFO.

Alternatively consider dropping the car as planned and taking Uber over to SJC. Should run approx. $100.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:12 am
Original Poster

IB codeshare strikes again!

Despite BA emailing and texting me, when I called them they said they can't touch it and only Iberia can touch it. Called Iberia and they know nothing of the situation and their system still showing as operating on an A380 so they won't allow me to make the change.

So, after all this, it looks like we're destined to get to the airport and stand at least some chance of IDB, despite being willing to take an earlier flight.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:40 am

IB codeshare strikes again!

Despite BA emailing and texting me, when I called them they said they can't touch it and only Iberia can touch it. Called Iberia and they know nothing of the situation and their system still showing as operating on an A380 so they won't allow me to make the change.

So, after all this, it looks like we're destined to get to the airport and stand at least some chance of IDB, despite being willing to take an earlier flight.
That is bad luck, but with Ib that doesn’t surprise me sadly.

currently still showing zeroed out, the bassinet on the upper deck has been unblocked and F is looking rather unblocked so I suspect a fair number of OpUps, but they may well try and fog it to get some cash at check in first.

you could arrive early enough for the airport to move you to the earlier flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.