Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2020/21 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Is it normal for people to just go to the front of the queue?
If there’s no separate priority queue, and I’ve missed my boarding call, then I just wait in line with everyone else. I can’t bring myself to push to the front
MarcD, mrow, Scots_Al and 7 others like this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by LCY8737
I'm never quite sure of the protocol when there is no clearly marked priority queue.
Standard procedure is to post about it on FT, with bonus points for using words like "shambles", "hopeless", "scrum", and of course "never flying BA again"
Old Nov 25, 2021, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by abligh
She was clearly put out at this line skipping and told the BA person so. The BA person replied loudly enough for all to hear "Those are the crew madam". We were all wearing masks but I don't think I was the only one smiling.
This really made my day. I laughed so, so hard at this!!
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 4:24 pm

In Kazakhstan a woman with a baby, or an old person walks to the front of the queue. All the important people stand aside. And important Kazakhs have a huge sense of importance!
hsmall, janehoya, smokie36 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 3:55 pm

BA0104 (DXB-LHR, seat 1A) on November 28th. I don’t know who he was, or thought he was but pleeeease Don’t. Be. That. Guy !
babyg_wc, GOTBound and jfallesen like this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 4:08 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Are those Peppa Pig socks??
asnovici and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:39 pm

More lobster-esque I reckoned …. Wasn’t sure from his trouser-wear whether he was wearing jammies or selling ice cream to start with 🤷🏼‍♂️ It’s not as if CS on the A350 is the tightest cabin … just rude I thought.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 4:29 pm

I decided to pull a DYKWIA while boarding a Finnair flight from BER recently - but only because I was yelled at by the gate attendant.

To put in context, I don’t speak a word of German but can just about make out the language through a combination of intonation, facial expression and gesticulation. Fortunately the pre boarding announcement was bi lingual in English too, through which I understood that Business class passengers, OWE and OWS may board at any time.

My economy class boarding pass showed Group 3, but beneath it was printed PRIORITY and EMERALD.

So when boarding was called and few people moved, I approached the attendant to board since the announcement said I could. She curtly glanced at my boarding pass and yelled (in German) “You’re Group 3. Group 3!” then pushed the boarding pass back to me while turning her head to yell to the crowd “Anyone Group 1? Or Group 2?”

I was a little shocked, but meekly stood aside.

Next strode a family (dad, mom and two babies) who presented their four boarding passes. They were yelled at by the same by the attendant “You’re Group 3!” (as if they couldn’t read their boarding passes). The dad confidently mentioned that he’s Finnair Platinum (as printed on his boarding pass), to which the attendant realised her error, did an about turn, and immediately scanned their boarding passes to let them board.

Noticing that I hadn’t heard wrongly and indeed statused passengers may board at any time, I stepped up after the family had gone in and handed my boarding pass to her again. She didn’t even bother to look at it, and just yelled back “You’re Group 3 I said. Group 3!!”

Already annoyed having been yelled rather rudely twice, I said to her firmly - “Look clearly. It says Priority and Emerald!” Only then she realised, scanned my boarding pass and waved me through. No apology, but she did say thank you, but by then, I was in no mood to even look at her - and strode off. She really should be trained to look at boarding passes more accurately.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I decided to pull a DYKWIA while boarding a Finnair flight from BER recently - but only because I was yelled at by the gate attendant.

To put in context, I don’t speak a word of German but can just about make out the language through a combination of intonation, facial expression and gesticulation. Fortunately the pre boarding announcement was bi lingual in English too, through which I understood that Business class passengers, OWE and OWS may board at any time.

My economy class boarding pass showed Group 3, but beneath it was printed PRIORITY and EMERALD.

So when boarding was called and few people moved, I approached the attendant to board since the announcement said I could. She curtly glanced at my boarding pass and yelled (in German) “You’re Group 3. Group 3!” then pushed the boarding pass back to me while turning her head to yell to the crowd “Anyone Group 1? Or Group 2?”

I was a little shocked, but meekly stood aside.

Next strode a family (dad, mom and two babies) who presented their four boarding passes. They were yelled at by the same by the attendant “You’re Group 3!” (as if they couldn’t read their boarding passes). The dad confidently mentioned that he’s Finnair Platinum (as printed on his boarding pass), to which the attendant realised her error, did an about turn, and immediately scanned their boarding passes to let them board.

Noticing that I hadn’t heard wrongly and indeed statused passengers may board at any time, I stepped up after the family had gone in and handed my boarding pass to her again. She didn’t even bother to look at it, and just yelled back “You’re Group 3 I said. Group 3!!”

Already annoyed having been yelled rather rudely twice, I said to her firmly - “Look clearly. It says Priority and Emerald!” Only then she realised, scanned my boarding pass and waved me through. No apology, but she did say thank you, but by then, I was in no mood to even look at her - and strode off. She really should be trained to look at boarding passes more accurately.
To be fair should the boarding pass not automatically put PRIORITY, and EMERALD in group 1 or is it computer says no?
marcopizzaiuolo likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 4:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by DelTroon
To be fair should the boarding pass not automatically put PRIORITY, and EMERALD in group 1 or is it computer says no?
Depends.

I had group 3 the other day on AA as BA Gold / OWE.
That become group 1 on a reprint at the desk.
Also had group 2 when flying AA domestic economy, as group 1 for First.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC
I had group 3 on my BHD>LBA BP last week, though it did state Fast track. Boarding was an utter shambles so it didn't make a difference either way to be honest.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
This isn't a DYKWIA moment. It's a mistake of the gate agent who was not doing a very good job.
PAL62V, the810 and esledo like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 6:50 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by xenole
Depends.

I had group 3 the other day on AA as BA Gold / OWE.
That become group 1 on a reprint at the desk.
Also had group 2 when flying AA domestic economy, as group 1 for First.
I did a recent LHR - LCA return and on the way out I was Group 9 and on the way back Group 1.

Can't say I noticed any difference in my attitude to either. Exit seats both ways and no baggage. If pushed I would say if I had to choose I'd go Group 9.

As an aside and referencing the photo of the leg up - on the way back the gentleman in front had the row to himself. He was laying flat on his back at one stage during the flight and stretching his legs upwards. He accidently, and without realising, pushed the call button with his big toe which brought cabin crew quickly to him. There was a magical few seconds where she couldn't work out the scene before her and he had no idea why she was asking if there was anything she could do for him.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by DelTroon
No, as for time being Finnair boards from back to front, i.e. short-haul business class is in group 4. Status members are assigned groups according to their seat row.

It is a different story if gate agents call C class and priority members to board first or at their leisure, as apparently was the case in BER.
EDIwanderer likes this.

Last edited by esledo; Dec 26, 2021 at 8:15 am
Old Dec 5, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Someone just tried to gazump Mr NW in Accra as there was only one paid upgrade to Club available. He reports that the guy was all high and mighty waiving his Gold card around saying “don’t you know what this means, I have priority….” . The BA agent asked Mr NW for his GGL card and waived it back at the guy saying “This gentleman has priority, don’t you know what this…?”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.