Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Enhancing stubble? [No shave gel in F amenity kit]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancing stubble? [No shave gel in F amenity kit]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2019, 7:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by onobond
Another aspect is, that even if you don't shave on the plane, sprays with shaving gel/foam are not allowed in carry-on bags.
Originally Posted by Misco60
Is this true? I almost always have a small (75ml) shaving gel in my carry-on toiletries and it's never been an issue.
Indeed. For those in the USA these are the ones I use which are fine for HBO. You can pick it up in person or online at Dollar General for the measly price of, wait for it..., $1.

Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Rubecula
I find the moisturiser in the First amenity kit a good substitute for shaving gel.
That's quite a pricey substitute!

I did notice they've been giving out the Elemis first class amenity kit shave gels in the arrivals lounge recently. But they're still using the pretty crappy razors.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by absoluy
That's quite a pricey substitute!

I did notice they've been giving out the Elemis first class amenity kit shave gels in the arrivals lounge recently. But they're still using the pretty crappy razors.
Not if you do not usually use the moisturiser, as I do not.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Don't believe I've ever used shaving gel. I just use an ordinary bar of soap at home and when travelling.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:09 am

Does no one use an electric razor these days?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
If they want to appeal to the hipster crowd they should include a personal piercer thingy and some ink.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Don't believe I've ever used shaving gel. I just use an ordinary bar of soap at home and when travelling.
Experience has taught me (when occasionally I've forgotten my shave stick) that hair conditioner - as supplied in most hotels I use - seems to have a similar structure and moisturising effect as shave gel, and does a reasonably good job. But you're right, that in essence a whole industry is built on surfactants, and apart from the perfume content they aren't actually a lot different. But I do draw the line at shaving with washing-up liquid (on paper that should work fine).
HIDDY and MNMAA like this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by DominicB
Since when has shave gel gone from male First amenity kits?
Since BA realised that anyone who wet shaves will carry their own anyway...and a decent razor.
i was really glad to see it and the razor go - the move saves huge amounts of unused plastic product going to landfill.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Experience has taught me (when occasionally I've forgotten my shave stick) that hair conditioner - as supplied in most hotels I use - seems to have a similar structure and moisturising effect as shave gel, and does a reasonably good job. But you're right, that in essence a whole industry is built on surfactants, and apart from the perfume content they aren't actually a lot different. But I do draw the line at shaving with washing-up liquid (on paper that should work fine).
Another new word learnt courtesy of CWS. I really should have paid more attention in chemistry!
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DFB_london
Since BA realised that anyone who wet shaves will carry their own anyway...and a decent razor.
i was really glad to see it and the razor go - the move saves huge amounts of unused plastic product going to landfill.
LH F manages to include a decent disposable razor and a shaving gel. I quite liked the Elemis shaving gel in BA F.

Rather than using the justification that "nobody uses our crappy razors anyway", I'd rather they replaced it with something decent - like LH - or stocked them in the toilets (like QR) and at least give people an option.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
LH F manages to include a decent disposable razor and a shaving gel. I quite liked the Elemis shaving gel in BA F.

Rather than using the justification that "nobody uses our crappy razors anyway", I'd rather they replaced it with something decent - like LH - or stocked them in the toilets (like QR) and at least give people an option.
It seems a struggle to understand why if you need a razor and gel you wouldn’t travel with your own anyway. A quick look a fellow travellers’ plastic bags at security says most do.
If I really like a product I’ll go and buy it - like some of the JAL F stuff. But, I think it’s reckless to demand it is included in every amenities bag just so the odd few % can use it while the rest is hugely wasteful.
Well done BA for this change - and as pointed out earlier it sounds like it’s on request. I only wish they make more of the contents ‘on request’.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DFB_london
It seems a struggle to understand why if you need a razor and gel you wouldn’t travel with your own anyway. A quick look a fellow travellers’ plastic bags at security says most do.
If I'm going away for a weekend, or a trip where I only need to shave once or twice, then I would much rather not have to bring my own, save space in my carry on liquids bag and not worry about forgetting my razor in an airport/hotel bathroom someplace. Again.

But, I think it’s reckless to demand it is included in every amenities bag just so the odd few % can use it while the rest is hugely wasteful.
F travel in general is reckless and hugely wasteful. A disposable razor and miniature bottle of shaving gel is the least of your worries.
RoyalSwazi and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
yes. Much better idea. Think SQ do/did that also? To be honest it works with much of the contents of amenity bags. Of course, no doubt it would lead to pilfering and eBaying by some BA customers....
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by golfmad

Originally Posted by Misco60
Is this true? I almost always have a small (75ml) shaving gel in my carry-on toiletries and it's never been an issue.
Indeed. For those in the USA these are the ones I use which are fine for HBO. You can pick it up in person or online at Dollar General for the measly price of, wait for it..., $1.

Probably no problems on the intra-US or UK<->US route, but those passing through security in the Middle East, Central and South America, North Africa or South East Asia, might not be so happy...

Last edited by onobond; Dec 27, 2019 at 1:05 pm Reason: abandoning acronyms
Old Dec 27, 2019, 1:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
I've been using this for years - it's solid soap, so not a problem with security

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.