Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AA Codeshare Booking - Checked Baggage Allowance Discrepancy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze

I booked with Propeller travel a BA multi city route with the outbound on AA metal (AA39) but booked on BA codeshare (BA1528). This booking contained a checked bag allowance and the agency have re-confirmed this with BA partner support.

All is fine and as expected on the BA website:

When I load it up on AA though it tells me we that it is a basic economy fare and checked bags are extra. This is bizarre because this warning has appeared long after booking - I selected seats for free a few months back, when no such Basic Economy warning was displayed.

I have a clear audit trail with the travel agency that I booked a fare including checked bags. However, I'm acutely aware that they have no power when I walk up to the AA desks to drop my bags on the date of my flight.

Can anyone advise on what's likely to happen here and what, if anything, I should do?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
What does it say on your original e-ticket? I’m assuming this is a BA issued ticket (e-ticket number starts with 125-)?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by lcylocal
What does it say on your original e-ticket? I’m assuming this is a BA issued ticket (e-ticket number starts with 125-)?
Yes it is BA issued, the e-ticket number starts with 125. E-ticket confirms checked baggage allowance.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You get the allowance due to the operating airline's policies here. And the e-ticket is your contract so that over-rides everything else. However sometimes the e-ticket does not take into account status factors, but in your case I think you're OK anyway. Main thread with all the relevant details is here:
AA/BA/AY/IB Long Haul basic unbundled / HBO fares announced
(note, best read backwards, there were some adjsutments to policy on both BA and AA after a few weeks).
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Looks to me to be an issue of the BA and AA systems not speaking to each other as well as they might do. I would just print a copy of the e-ticket and take with me to check-in.
MrM2016 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For those who have not memorized the AA schedule, this is the LHR-MIA service.

What matters is the allowance printed on your e-ticket receipt, not an itinerary or other document.

US law provides that for tickets originating in or destined to the US, the baggage allowance of the marketing -- not operating -- carrier of the first segment, applies to all segments of the same ticket. While it is more than probable that BA is the marketing carrier and thus the BA allowance applies, it is worth asking your TA as it is always possible that it ticketed otherwise, in which case the AA allowance (or non-allowance) as the case may be applied.

I
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
For those who have not memorized the AA schedule, this is the LHR-MIA service.

What matters is the allowance printed on your e-ticket receipt, not an itinerary or other document.

US law provides that for tickets originating in or destined to the US, the baggage allowance of the marketing -- not operating -- carrier of the first segment, applies to all segments of the same ticket. While it is more than probable that BA is the marketing carrier and thus the BA allowance applies, it is worth asking your TA as it is always possible that it ticketed otherwise, in which case the AA allowance (or non-allowance) as the case may be applied.

I
The ticket is booked as BA ticket isn't it? Hence the e-ticket number starting with 125 and it being booked on the BA codeshare of the AA flight. So I believe it's clear they're the marketing carrier.

My take away is that the e-ticket trumps everything else, so I will take this with me to bag drop at LHR and be prepared for a discussion with the agent when they inevitably try and charge me a fee. Thanks for the help, everyone.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is not a question of what "trumps" what, it is a simple matter of US law for a flight to the US. The rules of the marketing, not the operating,carrier apply. US law further requires that the e-ticket receipt specify the baggage allowance, at least for the first and second bag.

Thus, BA rules apply and the e-ticket is correct.

The AA check-in agent will see whatever is listed on your BA e-ticket at the time you check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.