Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Shocked at how US airlines have overtaken Club World

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shocked at how US airlines have overtaken Club World

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Only thing I'm confused about is your title. Surely it should be Shocked at how United have overtaken Club World rather than US Airlines considering you're compering to just one carrier?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:11 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by clubman
Only thing I'm confused about is your title. Surely it should be Shocked at how United have overtaken Club World rather than US Airlines considering you're compering to just one carrier?
Well, AA is certainly better. I've not done Delta though. IMO of course!
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by WingsAroundtheWorld
- Modern and clean planes, with WiFi, and decent toilteries in the toilets
B777 and B767 are hardly modern
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by mrow
It is totally comparable. BA are still selling the ‘old’ product after all!
It’s certainly old - but for BA, it’s still very much their current product.
And they will still be selling it for the next five years or so ........
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by warakorn
Do you have a photo of that?
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by warakorn
Do you have a photo of that?
Regardless of International or Domestic, United serves fresh fruit for almost all breakfast service.

Snack Area

Older Pictures

Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Far too many grapes there ..... lots of potential for enhancement. Oops ..... wrong airline sorry
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:53 am

I think a lot of this comes down to perspective. Does BA have old cabins which they use on Premium long haul routes like LHR to NYC? Absolutely! Do they need to pack an mattress pad and tent because there is a very good chance they’ll be sleeping on a deflated J seat that has been compared to sleeping on a park bench and hasn’t been fixed for years? No because they aren’t flying AC!

Those who say the grass is greener on the other side have yet to step on the manure yet

-James
Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Well that's one difference between BA and American style J service. American business class service is more informal, down to earth and approachable. They're not so uptight as the Brits tend to be. Some people prefer this, whilst others prefer the professionalism of the British.
I have to say, as a fairly formal Brit, nowadays I often find BA service to be far too familiar for my tastes. It can sometimes feel that the crew offer better service to the people they get on with, and I feel under some pressure to "engage" with them, in banter. This isn't just younger crew in my experience, nor an MF/WW question, but I think Brits are just generally more uncomfortable with offering (or receiving) service than Americans. That might just be my projection of course, but if I compare it with my recent AA flight in J LHR-ORD the crew were efficient, proactive and helpful but I never once felt that they wanted me to engage in conversation with them - which I did not! And going back to the OP, this style of service combined with the vastly superior seat, the clean plane, and the (relative) haven of T3 as opposed to the zoo of T5 means that AA will be getting my business LHR-MIA early next year, and whenever I have the option instead of BA.

(A related aside. Returning BA SEA-LHR on this same trip the guy next to me on the UD gave a box of chocolates to the crew prior to take off, along with a speech about how they do such a tough job and he appreciated them. I know I am an old cynic, but that made me cringe! They do a job, I pay XXX for my ticket, they get paid by the airline - end of transaction. But I think both British sides of the equation are uncomfortable with that, while Americans "get it". Which is why I have no time for Brits who complain about American "insincerity" in service. Of course it's insincere! But it's also the right thing to do given the service relationship and both sides of the transaction understand what's going on.)
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by aristoph; Nov 13, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by aristoph
I have to say, as a fairly formal Brit, nowadays I often find BA service to be far too familiar for my tastes. It can sometimes feel that the crew offer better service to the people they get on with, and I feel under some pressure to "engage" with them, in banter. This isn't just younger crew in my experience, nor an MF/WW question, but I think Brits are just generally more uncomfortable with offering (or receiving) service than Americans. That might just be my projection of course, but if I compare it with my recent AA flight in J LHR-ORD the crew were efficient, proactive and helpful but I never once felt that they wanted me to engage in conversation with them - which I did not! And going back to the OP, this style of service combined with the vastly superior seat, the clean plane, and the (relative) haven of T3 as opposed to the zoo of T5 means that AA will be getting my business LHR-MIA early next year, and whenever I have the option instead of BA.

(A related aside. Returning BA SEA-LHR on this same trip the guy next to me on the UD gave a box of chocolates to the crew prior to take off, along with a speech about how they do such a tough job and he appreciated them. I know I am an old cynic, but that made me cringe! They do a job, I pay XXX for my ticket, they get paid by the airline - end of transaction. But I think both British sides of the equation are uncomfortable with that, while Americans "get it". Which is why I have no time for Brits who complain about American "insincerity" in service. Of course it's insincere! But it's also the right thing to do given the service relationship and both sides of the transaction understand what's going on.)
I don't think BA care where your business goes. Its a joint venture so if you fly AA BA still gets their piece of the pie, as Americans would say.
argonath likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
I don't think BA care where your business goes. Its a joint venture so if you fly AA BA still gets their piece of the pie, as Americans would say.
I realise that. It doesn't mean I don't prefer AA.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
Unless you end up flying CoUniHound, DL or heaven forbid Virgin Atlantic
Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by aristoph
Returning BA SEA-LHR on this same trip the guy next to me on the UD gave a box of chocolates to the crew prior to take off, along with a speech about how they do such a tough job and he appreciated them. I know I am an old cynic, but that made me cringe!
That has been discussed here from time to time. Some consider it a thoughtful gesture, while others find it cringeworthy. I'm in the latter camp.

Do you ever bring a small gift for the crew?
Crampedin13A and aristoph like this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Just Eat Platinum For Life
Having done LON-NYC on several carriers many times, I have to say that I always feel the most comfortable on the US ones. Delta One and United Polaris are great products, the service I have always found attentive and nothing seems to be too much. AA J is also decent.

My recent BA experiences have left me feeling that I am an annoyance to the crew if I request another drink, either when they come around the cabin or if I push the call bell. VS is a little too much for me sometimes, so maybe there should be a service level between the two.
aristoph likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Wow! Opinions are great - we all have them!

However, for those of us that flew a lot more in the 90s and early 2000s than now, the very idea of UA being better than BA is quite something. (Brit understatement)

UA, better than BA??? How low can BA fall? I do not mind hearing about the wonders of ME3 and CX/SQ, but UA????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.