FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Shocked at how US airlines have overtaken Club World (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1995307-shocked-how-us-airlines-have-overtaken-club-world.html)

WingsAroundtheWorld Nov 13, 2019 6:55 am

Shocked at how US airlines have overtaken Club World

Having just tried United Polaris back from Newark, and I must say:

- Great lounges and shower suites at Newark
- Sit down a la carte dining at Polaris Lounge
- Great cocktail bar with fast and friendly service
- New Polaris seats way better than CW - aisle access, storage space, decent bedding (2 x pillows), slippers etc. iPhone stand included, proper chargng facilities
- Modern and clean planes, with WiFi, and decent toilteries in the toilets
- Fresh fruit available for breakfast
- Decent enough arrivals lounge at T2, with suit pressing service
- Wide ranging and high quality IFE

And likewise from LHR out to Newark....

Frankly, I am surprised it was so good - and much more pleasant than a knackered BA 747, old CW seats with no storage and poor IFE, and the zoo of JFK

Polaris >>> Club World!

What are others thoughts?

BA had better get that Club Suite out fast and retire those knackered 747s ...

Pascoe Nov 13, 2019 7:08 am

I don't care how knackered they are - when they go, I'll shed more than a single tear. No amount of bland 777s can match the beauty and majesty of that aircraft for me.

corporate-wage-slave Nov 13, 2019 7:09 am

Originally Posted by WingsAroundtheWorld (Post 31732058)
Frankly, I am surprised it was so good - and much more pleasant than a knackered BA 747, old CW seats with no storage and poor IFE, and the zoo of JFK

Interesting review and indeed JFK has had a limited number of CS flights already. However generally speaking JFK gets the Super J Club product, so the Panasonic eX3 system and wifi. There are some mid Js going there too, but they are on their way out. On a Super J Upper Deck I would suggest the gap is somewhat narrower (and they do suit pressing in T5 Arrivals, by the way). None of this is a coincidence, Polaris is exactly the sort of product that keeps BA's management on its toes.

IntVic Nov 13, 2019 7:13 am

Originally Posted by WingsAroundtheWorld (Post 31732058)
......and much more pleasant than a knackered BA 747.....

Careful with your language.... she is the Queen (of the skies)... don't want you to be hauled up on treason.
Problem with monogamous flying, is I don't know what's being offered elsewhere, so cannot comment further but will read this thread with interest.

T8191 Nov 13, 2019 7:16 am

No argument from me about the OP’s comparison, although I’m still reasonably content on the 744 u/d. Dislike the BA 777’s, regardless of configuration, due to the aisle access difficulty for my wife and the huge soul-less J cabins.

aidy Nov 13, 2019 7:23 am

so your comparing the new united business class against the old ba business class.... hardly comparable is it

Pascoe Nov 13, 2019 7:30 am

Is Polaris the same seat as on IB J? If so, frankly meh for me. There's something about it I find a bit soulless. Just my opinion.....

HIDDY Nov 13, 2019 7:38 am

According to others BA have had an 'inferior' J class product compared to most other carriers for many a year so I'm surprised you were shocked. Fortunately for BA they have no problem filling their CW cabins with customers....even the shocked return to be shocked even more. :D

I personally prefer the IB J product.

Beltway2A Nov 13, 2019 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe (Post 31732167)
Is Polaris the same seat as on IB J? If so, frankly meh for me. There's something about it I find a bit soulless. Just my opinion.....

No, they're completely different seats from completely different manufacturers and don't look remotely similar. United uses the Zodiac Optima seat, Iberia uses the Sogerma Solstys.

WonderWanderer Nov 13, 2019 8:28 am

I prefer Qatar seats and service over BA, however I just returned from LHR to DFW on BA 747. I got bumped from Business to First and must admit I was pleased with the service. I still prefer the Qatar Business seating to the BA First.

mattyw Nov 13, 2019 8:36 am

I came pretty close to choosing UA over BA for my most recent trip to NYC but in the end I decided to try the new CS on the outbound and 747 UD on the inbound whilst it's still an option.

Dunno how much newer the UA 767s are compared to the BA 747s...

FlyerTalker70 Nov 13, 2019 8:37 am

A lot of it comes down to route competition. Having flown LHR > ORD in Polaris J back in September it was alright. But certainly not great. Doesn’t hold a candle up to NZ J service nor LH J service (although the seats in Polaris J are better than LH). When you see who they’re competing with (BA, AA, DL, Virgin) the standards are pretty low. If you want to experience the best UA J service you need to be flying in the other direction (ie towards the Pacific to Asia) where the service is prompt and the selection of food and booze is more substantial. These routes are also served by JAL, ANA, SQ. One complaint I do have about UA Polaris J is the lack of champers selection. If you don’t have Krug and Dom at a minimum you’ve lost me!

Originally Posted by WonderWanderer (Post 31732371)
I prefer Qatar seats and service over BA, however I just returned from LHR to DFW on BA 747. I got bumped from Business to First and must admit I was pleased with the service. I still prefer the Qatar Business seating to the BA First.

Problem is QR does not yet operate routes between LHR to USA yet!

noubliepas Nov 13, 2019 8:41 am

Originally Posted by aidy (Post 31732143)
so your comparing the new united business class against the old ba business class.... hardly comparable is it

Considering they're flying the same route, it's a pretty valid comparison.

fotographer Nov 13, 2019 8:52 am

I have on purpose looked for flights that have
"the queen of the sky" on my BA travels.
eg. later this month
could have done LHR to ATL (7770
chose instead LHR-PHL 747 upper deck then PHL to ATL (AA)

WonderWanderer Nov 13, 2019 8:56 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso (Post 31732401)
Problem is QR does not yet operate routes between LHR to USA yet!

True that. I guess I am usually passing through LHR versus going there, so my thinking was on the larger global travel. I prefer passing through DOH vs LHR when it comes to airport, seating, and service.