Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Shocked at how US airlines have overtaken Club World

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shocked at how US airlines have overtaken Club World

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I fly UA J a lot. The Polaris seat is great, although it is narrow and you need to decide which side of the aircraft you want be on depending on which side of your body you prefer to sleep. But an unrefurbished 777 2-4-2 is no great fun if you’re in the middle.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by simoflyer
I guess this type of incident doesn't help.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-stained.html
The most offensive thing about this is paying £4700 for two PE seats, even with a CW return.

Originally Posted by WingsAroundtheWorld
Crikey! BA is filthy and disgusting!
Time to get the cabin crew scrubbing it clean during turnarounds I think...!
To be fair this is one report, and you seem to base all your Polaris stuff on one flight. I'm glad you liked it and we should all do what we like in regard of travel choices.
mhy likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
Don't worry, the photos while depicting a scene from the Somme are not representative examples of what we typically find on board. binman had a bad trip 18 or so months ago and every so often since likes to remind us of it. Its like switching on E4 to discover the same episode of Big Bang Theory is playing.
My flight back from DXB on 19 November had a seat with crumbs all over it and some stains on the IFE and wall. No socks on the seat to be fair. So, let’s not pretend that filth is unusual on BA. It’s not necessarily the norm, but it’s also not the exception. It is a standard risk as far as I am concerned when flying BA.

As it happens the outbound flights suffered IRROPS and I was rerouted on Air France in Premium Economy. Compared to World Traveller Plus, Air France Premium Economy was a big improvement. In my experience I would say food is usually marginally better on BA World Traveller Plus vs Air France Premium Economy, but on this trip, of the 3 choices on the menu only 1 was available by the time they got to me, so I had the illusion of choice and the only option available was pretty poor.

Would I choose Air France in future? On product alone, yes. If I had equivalent status on Skyteam, yes, But I have no status on Skyteam, so lounge access etc based on status is nice and probably tips the balance...but only just.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I pretty much agree with the comparisons above between UA and BA, flying both regularly (although UA more so). I find BA's existing CW seat worse than anything UA has to offer, even in its most outdated 8 across in a 777 (BA also being 8 across). UA's 787s are quite comfortable but don't have all aisle access whereas Polaris is excellent - comfortable, all aisle access and tons of privacy (not so good for couples). The LHR lounge is far better than the standard BA lounges at LHR (not been to the Concorde Room) and the Polaris lounges in the US are excellent also. Also I find their operational reliability to be better, the IT, especially the App is streets ahead, and the 1K line is excellent, answering rapidly even in meltdown situations (but the App is so functional that you rarely need to call).

But after that UA falls apart badly. Individual FAs can of course be excellent, but it's rare to find a flight where you are not served at some stage by a grumpy one (and don't even dare venture to the back, or even PE, where they are super-unpleasant. The food on board is very poor - vast quantities of over-sweetened mush. And the wine is "red or white". Having said that, often decent wine is loaded (recently the Champagne has been Ayala NV, which I really like, and they've had a good line in 2010 Cru Bourgeois) but the FAs don't know what it is and don't care. They are reluctant to show you the label and find offering a choice of different reds, for example, to be an affront to their sense of self worth.

If all you want is a comfortable seat and can avoid speaking to the FAs, go UA. For the overall experience, go BA.
mec72 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
Now come on !!

This is either a deliberate piece of sarcasm ....... OR you genuinely do not realise that the current (or ’weird’, as you put it) CW is not an all-aisle access product. Hence the launch of the new Club World Suite, to specifically address this shortcoming.

Given that you say you have “heard such poor reviews” about CW, I’m going with the sarcasm theory.
Totally honest, I've never flown it. From the config it LOOKED like true aisle access. But I guess when the beds are down you have to walk over someone? Which makes it even more stupid than I originally thought.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:14 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Totally honest, I've never flown it. From the config it LOOKED like true aisle access. But I guess when the beds are down you have to walk over someone? Which makes it even more stupid than I originally thought.
In most window seats you have to step over someone's legs to get out of your seat. Some window seats have direct aisle access, e.g. exit rows or bulkheads.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by amt
Don’t waste your time, many of us have spent many an hour tilting at that particular windmill.

Apparently it has something to do with the restrictive foot space. I’m lead to believe that their exists a subset of people who would fly on a board, under a rag to avoid a ‘foot coffin’
I wouldn't go that far but I'd far far rather travel in a seat that doesn't have a footwell than one that does. Suffice to say I don't like the look of the new Club World Suite as a result. There's smaller seat pitch compared to the existing Club World too.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:21 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I have just flown CW here to New Orleans. Mr seat was so distressingly old that I slept soundly for five hours. I had a delicious lunch. The beef while cooked to well done was succulent and tender. The crew were stellar. I have been looked after by people rather than automatons. Elderly automatons at that. I cannot argue about seats and tosh but As I am neither fat anywhere nor gigantesque at all, and like most normal people disinterested in stupid lounges as long as one is provided I am delighted with the service that I have received.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.