Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to Global Entry procedure at JFK BA Terminal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Global Entry procedure at JFK BA Terminal?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:35 pm

The procedure for GE at JFK has changed considerably based on today’s experience.
The machines look the same and still have the passport scanners and fingerprint readers. The dialogue is very different - it asks you to take a photo which then prints out immediately. No fingerprinting or answering questions on the machine. You then join a GE queue to see an immigration officer who asks you purpose of visit and how long your stay is. He then stamps your passport.
On the way out of the baggage hall all GE passengers were being screened by having their luggage opened and checked or having it out through a scanner. I have only encountered this new (very labour intensive) procedure at JFK - other US airports still seem to be as normal.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Ravenswell
Yes they were .. and a lot of very irritated citizens too!
Ravenswell don't be afraid to use the quote option when replying to a specific post...
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by scillyisles
The procedure for GE at JFK has changed considerably based on today’s experience.
The machines look the same and still have the passport scanners and fingerprint readers. The dialogue is very different - it asks you to take a photo which then prints out immediately. No fingerprinting or answering questions on the machine. You then join a GE queue to see an immigration officer who asks you purpose of visit and how long your stay is. He then stamps your passport.
On the way out of the baggage hall all GE passengers were being screened by having their luggage opened and checked or having it out through a scanner. I have only encountered this new (very labour intensive) procedure at JFK - other US airports still seem to be as normal.
If this is indeed a new procedure in place and becomes standard across the US, it makes GE pretty much pointless.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: BA executive club
This is why I now no longer fly BA to JFK. My last immigration experience was too bad. With assistance refused by the BA staff in the immigration hall (assistance which I requested as GGL and flying First) I missed my AA connection in T8 (although I had a 2h30 connection time and I was traveling with handluggage only).
These problems seem to be limited to JFK-T7.
allturnleft likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:23 am
Suspended

Miami had the same machine since last year. Upon exit one officer will ask questions and collect the print out. Custom will be merged into one single lane but no scan of luggage.

I enjoyed smaller US airport so much now I try my best to fly to smaller airports.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SKRan
Yet UK is granting all US (and other B5JSSK) passport holders free access to epassport gates.
You can use the APM (automatically passport machine) as UK passport holder in US with ESTA. APM is as fast as GE and the procedure is very similar. I don't understand your point. Did I miss anything?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chongcao
You can use the APM (automatically passport machine) as UK passport holder in US with ESTA. APM is as fast as GE and the procedure is very similar. I don't understand your point. Did I miss anything?
It's a reference to the UK's e-gate system. But it's not really correctly portrayed in my opinion. It's now easier for Americans to enter the UK than to enter the USA. And a lot faster for Canadians to enter the UK than to enter Canada.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 4:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
This is the new Global Entry 2.0 kiosk, Delta, Jet Blue, British Airways, and Royal Caribbean are pilot partners: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/biometrics

While capturing the data via facial recognition is great the problem is that all GE Kiosk users now need to report to a CBP officer before leaving the area.

More here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...ion-pilot.html

What annoys me more that the wait, is that the system assumes either WB or WT when you enter under an ESTA. Also you don't have the option to declare something for customs.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
What about non-GE passengers? Is their baggage checked the same way?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC
I was there last thursday and the GE machines were working perfectly, took 30 seconds. Then queued to give me slip to a border guy, who took it, no questions asked.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's a reference to the UK's e-gate system. But it's not really correctly portrayed in my opinion. It's now easier for Americans to enter the UK than to enter the USA. And a lot faster for Canadians to enter the UK than to enter Canada.

Of course you could just say that the UK has a world leading immigration system, and that other countries should try and catch up.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by JTnonny
I was there last thursday and the GE machines were working perfectly, took 30 seconds. Then queued to give me slip to a border guy, who took it, no questions asked.
I think this is what should happen with the new kiosks. Just photo, get slip (2 slips if you are not a US citizen), short queue and present slip and passport.

No passport stamping and no questions asked.

I think that the slow process described upthread is an exception, or at least I haven’t seen anything like that in my past few arrivals. Admittedly I haven’t arrived at JFK recently.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
I think that the slow process described upthread is an exception, or at least I haven’t seen anything like that in my past few arrivals. Admittedly I haven’t arrived at JFK recently.
I had the same experience as the OP earlier this week (and pretty much all of the ~6 trips I've done so far this year).

JFK T7 is generally a shambles.

As much as I prefer to fly BA's onboard soft product over AA's, the AA Flagship check in experience blows BA/T7 out of the water, the T8 Flagship lounge is as good as (if not better) than the T7 F lounge, the T3 arrivals lounge beats T7 by a long shot (aside from lack of Elemis). The F wing at T5 beats the T3 check in experience... but the T3 lounge options far surpass T5. And to top it all off, T8 immigration is generally a breeze. T7 is generally a nightmare.

BA make it really, really difficult to justify giving them business on the JFK-LHR / LHR-JFK route.

Last edited by absoluy; Oct 24, 2019 at 6:36 pm
Old Oct 27, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Of course you could just say that the UK has a world leading immigration system, and that other countries should try and catch up.
Lol.

As a UK Registered Traveler, I usually had to argue to use the e-gates as everyone "knew" that US passports did not qualify. Had one agent follow me who was dumbfounded when I sailed through. Then, just after paying the unreasonably expensive RT fee, they announce this. Well, at least we didn't pay to renew my wife.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:50 am

Flew through T7 again at roughly the same time (7pm) this past Sunday and no lines to speak of for GE or really any other lines so seems to be a one off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.