Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to Global Entry procedure at JFK BA Terminal?

Old Oct 14, 19, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Apologies if this is not the appropriate forum but wondered if this was a one off event specific to BA or a new standard...

I came in from the UK to T7 at JFK and found the immigration hall was completely backed up the ramps. That wasn't unusual but then I realised it was the global entry line / queue as well as normal immigration processing. Unlike many previous times at T7 and many entry airports into the US where GE means a simple walk through security in seconds, US immigration was doing an individual passport check including stamping and dating entry in the passport.. It took over two hours for this "expedited" entry process .. which previously would have taken a minute or so.

Is this the new normal? A random enforcement check or .... ??

Makes applying for GE completely pointless as they only had one officer, and the "normal" queue was chaotic but at least moving!
Old Oct 14, 19, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Sounds bizarre. Are they just making up their own process at T7? Why does the passport need stamping with GE?
Old Oct 14, 19, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Did you actually use the GE machines or were they out of order?
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Oct 14, 19, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
I entered through MIA last night using GE. No stamp, but everyone was questioned (purpose of visit, length, previous visits), so there was some delay in clearing immigration.
Old Oct 14, 19, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Sirius Gold, Hertz PC, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Sounds bizarre. Are they just making up their own process at T7? Why does the passport need stamping with GE?
JFK T7 has been indeed doing that in recent months - In the two times I went through in Sept, the first they insisted we all had to go and see an agent who undertook a secondary passport check (including running it through their reader and examining their PC screen for the results), asking about length and purpose of stay, and then held up an old customs form and asked us to confirm that all answers were “no”. The second time was back to “normal” with an agent just collecting the chit from the GE machine.
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 14, 19, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Maybe I won't be so worried if I don't get my GE renewed which has been waiting conditional approval since June (still blaming the shutdown at the beginning of the year). There's backups in the Court's, a farce over the new "real id" - seems the whole of Government in the US is just in a total mess
Old Oct 14, 19, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ravenswell View Post
Apologies if this is not the appropriate forum but wondered if this was a one off event specific to BA or a new standard...

I came in from the UK to T7 at JFK and found the immigration hall was completely backed up the ramps. That wasn't unusual but then I realised it was the global entry line / queue as well as normal immigration processing. Unlike many previous times at T7 and many entry airports into the US where GE means a simple walk through security in seconds, US immigration was doing an individual passport check including stamping and dating entry in the passport.. It took over two hours for this "expedited" entry process .. which previously would have taken a minute or so.

Is this the new normal? A random enforcement check or .... ??

Makes applying for GE completely pointless as they only had one officer, and the "normal" queue was chaotic but at least moving!
Were they doing that for US citizens with GE as well?
Old Oct 14, 19, 4:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
Was this a simple mix up with signage? Were the computer terminals open/being used?
Old Oct 14, 19, 4:32 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground View Post
Maybe I won't be so worried if I don't get my GE renewed which has been waiting conditional approval since June (still blaming the shutdown at the beginning of the year). There's backups in the Court's, a farce over the new "real id" - seems the whole of Government in the US is just in a total mess
What do you mean? Everythingís great. Big hands.

Sorry, Iíll take my hat. Best regards,
a European friend of your country.
Old Oct 14, 19, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground View Post
There was an increasing backlog before the shut down and the approval time was creeping up even before then.

On the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/ people are reporting almost 6 months and still not getting approval.

Plus a number of CBP staff have been transferred to the southern border which means even less people to do GE screening and approvals which if they caught up with those would actually take the pressure off the numbers needing physical inspection.
Old Oct 14, 19, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
Originally Posted by PGFlyer85 View Post
Were they doing that for US citizens with GE as well?
In ORD everything as it used to be. Just collecting the kioask slip and you are out.
Old Oct 14, 19, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA, BAEC, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver.
No change to process at SEA last Friday for GE passengers. However they were holding lots of non GE passengers in a double loop queue in the corridor above the main immigration hall. We were quite quickly pulled from the loop and told to go past everyone in the queue, when we reached the main hall that was stuffed as well. Small queue at GE consoles, which we have never had before. Seems this is now the norm,
Old Oct 14, 19, 5:22 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL
Used GE at JFK T7 on Saturday. No queues. System has changed in that machine takes photo, scans passport and spits out a receipt. No fingerprint scan and no answering questions. All very easy despite the immigration hall being rammed with the LOT flight.
Old Oct 14, 19, 5:30 pm

Sounds like the GE terminals were down, or the DHS mainframe was fubar again.
Old Oct 14, 19, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer View Post
In ORD everything as it used to be. Just collecting the kioask slip and you are out.
Yes, came through ORD this morning and was through and out in less than 5 minutes.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: