Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Extremely full TATL flight - chances of beng involuntarily bumped on redemption?

Extremely full TATL flight - chances of beng involuntarily bumped on redemption?

Old Oct 1, 19, 12:17 pm
  #16  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 87,149
Originally Posted by ColonelHughPickering View Post
I'm glad to hear it's not very likely! I guess I probably knew that, but just wanted a bit of reassurance as the only time I've ever been bumped was on the same flight to another family function 5 years ago (which I missed).

For those who were wondering, the flight is 214 BOS-LHR on Oct. 3. It looks like the earlier flight was cancelled - maybe explaining how full it is.
Is there a later TATL nonstop from BOS that day? Are their connections (leaving late enough to be used if there's a problem with your seats) through JFK/PHL/CLT/etc. that would get you to London in time?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Oct 1, 19, 12:20 pm
  #17  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I would have thought so...I would bet on the OP being upgraded to CW than being thrown off.
That certainly would be nice - I don't think I've ever been upgraded by a European airline. Does it happen often?
ColonelHughPickering is offline  
Old Oct 1, 19, 12:29 pm
  #18  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Is there a later TATL nonstop from BOS that day? Are their connections (leaving late enough to be used if there's a problem with your seats) through JFK/PHL/CLT/etc. that would get you to London in time?
Sadly there don't seem to be any later oneworld flights that day but, given what I've seen in this thread, I'm not too concerned anymore. I was mainly worried that the fact this is a redemption would negate my status and bump me to the bottom of the list. I'm glad to hear that doesn't seem to be the case!
ColonelHughPickering is offline  
Old Oct 1, 19, 12:46 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Posts: 158
Originally Posted by ColonelHughPickering View Post
That certainly would be nice - I don't think I've ever been upgraded by a European airline. Does it happen often?
It happened to me on a revenue ticket earlier this year. Reports are that OLCI but not downloading/printing a boarding pass before you get to the airport MAY increase your chances (it worked for me).
sambagrrl07 is offline  
Old Oct 1, 19, 12:48 pm
  #20  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 42,376
Originally Posted by ColonelHughPickering View Post
That certainly would be nice - I don't think I've ever been upgraded by a European airline. Does it happen often?
To Goldies in WTP on a full flight out of Boston? Yes.

If you have your BAEC number in the reservation, have an allocated seat and do OLCI as soon as possible, you'll be fine. It may not work immediately at OLCI if they have to shuffle a lot of people, but just try later.

It's people without seat reservations, without status and who booked late on who are more at risk. If it totally suits you to go another day or another route then by all means volunteer but personally I'd only do that if they can guarantee the alternative arrangements at check-in, not if it's on a standby or "we will let you know" basis.
HIDDY likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Oct 1, 19, 12:54 pm
  #21  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 42,376
Originally Posted by sambagrrl07 View Post
It happened to me on a revenue ticket earlier this year. Reports are that OLCI but not downloading/printing a boarding pass before you get to the airport MAY increase your chances (it worked for me).
The not printing boarding passes makes zero difference to upgrades, since you are shown to DUT as firmly on board. But it does allow you to play around with seat selection. So if you select a seat next to another Goldie (careful analysis needed here) and they need a couple of seats together, then that obviously helps. Also if you are upgraded before departure - usually it happens in the final hour so you would have to hold a boarding pass at this point - then not having printed (etc) your boarding pass allows you to select seats in the new cabin more easily.

Bear in mind this is a robot however. If you like your seat, I would OLCI and do the boarding pass to get it out of the way.

I should also point out, it is quite common for BA to zero out a flight when they know they are pretty much full, even if there are actually a few spare seats, since they need to allow (e.g.) staff duty travel seating. So it's not unusual for a flight with say 4 spare seats to be zero'd out since they know that by the time it gets to the spin cycle, it will all come out in the wash.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Oct 1, 19 at 2:39 pm
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Oct 1, 19, 12:59 pm
  #22  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 87,149
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The not printing boarding passes makes zero difference to upgrades, since you are shown to DUT as firmly on board. But it does allow you to play around with seat selection. So if you select a seat next to another Goldie (careful analysis needed here) and they need a couple of seats together, then that obviously helps. Also if you are upgraded before departure - usually it happens in the final hour so you would have to hold a boarding pass at this point - then not having checked in allows you to select seats in the new cabin more easily.

Bear in mind this is a robot however. If you like your seat, I would OLCI and do the boarding pass to get it out of the way.

I should also point out, it is quite common for BA to zero out a flight when they know they are pretty much full, even if there are actually a few spare seats, since they need to allow (e.g.) staff duty travel seating. So it's not unusual for a flight with say 4 spare seats to be zero'd out since they know that by the time it gets to the spin cycle, it will all come out in the wash.
At the end of the first paragraph, do you really mean "not having checked in"? Wouldn't this put the OP more at risk of IDB. Moreover, will BA give an OPUP to someone who hasn't yet checked in as the deadline approaches (versus being told of the OPUP when dropping bags at the counter)?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Oct 1, 19, 2:39 pm
  #23  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 42,376
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
At the end of the first paragraph, do you really mean "not having checked in"? Wouldn't this put the OP more at risk of IDB. Moreover, will BA give an OPUP to someone who hasn't yet checked in as the deadline approaches (versus being told of the OPUP when dropping bags at the counter)?
Yes, that's not clear. It's best to check in, but not get the boarding pass. I'll correct it.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Oct 1, 19, 3:10 pm
  #24  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 45,281
BA selling both of its flights in WT and one of them in WTP and CW. In addition, as a backup, connections on AA, IB, and EI. Bottom line is that even if you are denied boarding, thee are plenty of options if you still wish to travel, some of them such as EI with an LCY arrival if that makes things even simpler.
Often1 is online now  
Old Oct 1, 19, 3:28 pm
  #25  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 9,244
Originally Posted by Pocalypse View Post
How do you get a single result in EF to show both revenue and reward buckets (F and Z)?
I'm guessing that this has something to do with the fact that there's no A class on BOS flights. Perhaps a glitch in EF?
golfmad is offline  
Old Oct 1, 19, 3:32 pm
  #26  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 36,477
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
I'm guessing that this has something to do with the fact that there's no A class on BOS flights. Perhaps a glitch in EF?
No glitch. It's simply that it's BOS. I could tell that from the OP, given that he said that he wasn't flying from DXB - that's how those flights are shown on EF.
golfmad likes this.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Oct 1, 19, 4:05 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
At the end of the first paragraph, do you really mean "not having checked in"? Wouldn't this put the OP more at risk of IDB. Moreover, will BA give an OPUP to someone who hasn't yet checked in as the deadline approaches (versus being told of the OPUP when dropping bags at the counter)?
No, there’s a DUT list of people who are pre-authorised for upgrades if required. If late check-ins force an upgrade, it will be someone from this list, not the person arriving late. It’s pretty easy (and quick) in FLY to regrade when required so it looks pretty seamless... and someone will have the pleasant ‘red beep’ when going through the gate later.
Confus is offline  
Old Oct 1, 19, 4:05 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Posts: 158
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The not printing boarding passes makes zero difference to upgrades, since you are shown to DUT as firmly on board. But it does allow you to play around with seat selection. So if you select a seat next to another Goldie (careful analysis needed here) and they need a couple of seats together, then that obviously helps. Also if you are upgraded before departure - usually it happens in the final hour so you would have to hold a boarding pass at this point - then not having printed (etc) your boarding pass allows you to select seats in the new cabin more easily.
c-w-s good to know! I wasn't sure if it made a difference or not - I'd just read it on a few posts. It was the first out of numerous BA JFK-LHR flights where I got an OpUp (and DH did too!), and the first where I did not download/print a boarding pass. But I know, correlation does not equal causation.
HIDDY likes this.
sambagrrl07 is offline  
Old Oct 1, 19, 10:09 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 354
Originally Posted by sambagrrl07 View Post
c-w-s good to know! I wasn't sure if it made a difference or not - I'd just read it on a few posts. It was the first out of numerous BA JFK-LHR flights where I got an OpUp (and DH did too!), and the first where I did not download/print a boarding pass. But I know, correlation does not equal causation.
It really doesn't. My last OpUp was 10mins before boarding a BOS 》 LHR flight when I noticed my seat number had changed in the app. I refreshed my boarding card in the app and boarded to my new cabin....BA didn't actually tell me I had been upgraded
sambagrrl07 likes this.
Adstring is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: