Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A distressing embarrassment on BA249 LHR-GIG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A distressing embarrassment on BA249 LHR-GIG

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by mhrb
Sorry to hear of your experience. I think in general ignoring the crew when they are being unreasonable and time is of the essence would have been fine here.

Can I ask how you cope in development countries or even in GIG. I know it's easy to be caught short even in cities in Europe.
Well, I ensured my hotel was central and also did some Internet research where toilets are... I really haven’t had any issues whilst here, although I haven’t been travelling around spontaneously like I previously did...
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by RB211
2) Never be afraid to be assertive when you have to go!
1) He was. Actually, there is no need. That's what the lanyard is there for. The CC was blind to the fact.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:12 am

What a distressing experience.

All BA staff (starting with Cabin Crew) are completing a one day 'passionate about service' course where the sunflower lanyard is discussed at length. I think a small issue with the lanyard is that most associate it with a hidden intellectual disability (I think the lady that started the scheme was the mother of an autistic child although don't quote me on it). So yes, a 'hidden disability' could be a huge array of things. I think many crew also see those that are wearing the lanyard are travelling with others (often parents of children wearing them) so it's easier for the crew to initiate a 'if there's anything we can do to help...' conversation it's a little easier. It's a shame this didn't happen to the OP as that would have been the perfect opportunity to say 'actually yes, I have a condition that requires me to go to the bathroom regularly etc'.

If it was me in the circumstance mentioned and I was challenged on the use of the CW bathroom I would have just said 'sorry this is an emergency' and ignored the crew member and carried on. Then once I had emerged from the bathroom asked to speak to the CSD and explain the situation. No need to go into detail. I have a medical condition that requires me to use the bathroom at short notice, i'd contacted BA in advance about this and they'd assured me they would notify the crew'.

I guess the 787-9 was subbed from a 787-8 so although a First Cabin onboard none of the First amenities would have been loaded (PJ's).

The most important aspect in these kind of situations is reporting it to the CSD. If not immediately ask to speak to them at some other point during the flight. It's essential it's documented.
watersign likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by 108912
What a distressing experience.

All BA staff (starting with Cabin Crew) are completing a one day 'passionate about service' course where the sunflower lanyard is discussed at length. I think a small issue with the lanyard is that most associate it with a hidden intellectual disability (I think the lady that started the scheme was the mother of an autistic child although don't quote me on it). So yes, a 'hidden disability' could be a huge array of things. I think many crew also see those that are wearing the lanyard are travelling with others (often parents of children wearing them) so it's easier for the crew to initiate a 'if there's anything we can do to help...' conversation it's a little easier. It's a shame this didn't happen to the OP as that would have been the perfect opportunity to say 'actually yes, I have a condition that requires me to go to the bathroom regularly etc'.

If it was me in the circumstance mentioned and I was challenged on the use of the CW bathroom I would have just said 'sorry this is an emergency' and ignored the crew member and carried on. Then once I had emerged from the bathroom asked to speak to the CSD and explain the situation. No need to go into detail. I have a medical condition that requires me to use the bathroom at short notice, i'd contacted BA in advance about this and they'd assured me they would notify the crew'.

I guess the 787-9 was subbed from a 787-8 so although a First Cabin onboard none of the First amenities would have been loaded (PJ's).

The most important aspect in these kind of situations is reporting it to the CSD. If not immediately ask to speak to them at some other point during the flight. It's essential it's documented.
Thanks for some of your thoughts and insights, it does explain a lot about why the sunflower lanyard didn’t work in this instance. As much as I would have liked to just carry on, he was stood wide legged in the aisle shouting, not easy to have got passed without getting physical.

In any case, very useful info for my meeting.

As an aisde, I don’t think it was swapped, it was also a 787 3 class Service.
watersign likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

So,, just to show the trip hasn’t all been bad and with the treatment starting to work, I ventured up to the Christ The Redeemer Statue, here are a couple of pics I took

Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by navylad
So,, just to show the trip hasn’t all been bad and with the treatment starting to work, I ventured up to the Christ The Redeemer Statue, here are a couple of pics I took
Well done. Rock on!

rb211.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:13 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Somewhat related to the subject of this topic, i opened in the relevant forum a topic about experiences with the sunflower lanyard, after a very positive experience today at LHR:
Experience with sunflower lanyard in UK

Maybe @navylad will be happy to contribute with his experience during his return journey ? Hoping this will be much better.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Very glad to hear you are enjoying the trip now and the treatment working
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Somewhat related to the subject of this topic, i opened in the relevant forum a topic about experiences with the sunflower lanyard, after a very positive experience today at LHR:
Experience with sunflower lanyard in UK

Maybe @navylad will be happy to contribute with his experience during his return journey ? Hoping this will be much better.
It was good to read your positive experience regarding the sunflower lanyards and I sincerely hope that navylad has a more positive experience on the return.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:38 am
Original Poster

So as promised having just got home, updating on the return flight.

Thanks to the wonderful suggestions from our fantastic community I was well prepared for the flight with spare clothes etc. and jumped into an uber to the airport.

Checkin was painless with no queue and I was speedily through security and passport control (no queue). I don’t think airport staff at GiG knew what the sunflower lanyard was, but it didn’t really matter given the efficiency.

I went to the AA lounge (no BA lounge at GIG), was a standard AA offering, so I moved to the Plaza Premium lounge using Priority Card which felt a lot more spacious and the apron views weren’t all taken. The food looked better too- pasta, sausage, couscous, salads all on offer, but I just settled for a soft drink and some plane spotting before proceeding for my flight.

i arrive at thhe Gate and went to the desk to ensure that they were aware of pre-boarding, they initially told me no, you Group 1- they hadn’t heard not the sunflower lanyard, but after I explained, they directed me to board in the pre-boarding channel. Unfortunately, when I got to the front, the a different gate agent (who was literally 2m from the first who could clearly hear the conversation but took no action) tried to turn me away again saying “we just preboarding infants, elderly and disabled”. Back to explaining again, but in the meantime, they boarding group 1 from the other side, meaning I was at then behind about 30 pax,

Other than the CSD reading my name wrong on my boarding card, I went to tell him to ensure he was aware of the issues, but he was called away to deal with another issue, so I elected to board and would go and find him once the queue settled; except the lovely CC working my side of CW came up to me and explained they’d got the message about the awlful experience on the way out. He asked if there was anything I’d like him to know (a nice way of phrasing it so that I could reveal what I needed to without feeling compelled to over-reveal) and he asked what he could do to make my flight even better.

I had been given seat 7A which was ideal for me, appreciate that on a day time, some might want more than 2 windows, but the window view and direct aisle access was perfect for my needs.

PDB was distributed (I opted for water), along with menus, breakfast cards and the BA 100 amenity kit- a nice keepsake I think. CSD also popped along to welcome me, not mentioning anything but there was no need now I was reassured they knew.

After the take off run (very smooth with great views of Rio at night), I hopped to the toilet early upon the seat-belt sign going off. Upon leaving the toilet, CSD asked if I would like a drink- nice to have a proactive crew (and from observation this wasn’t just me so it can’t of been service recovery).

I must at this point commend the new mocktails on offer and highly recommend the Fizzbury. Hopefully more to come please BA.

Dinner was good, I went for the soup and the beef. The mousse was excellent.

I settled in to watch some Chernobyl, what an amazing series which I particularly enjoyed given my previous work on a nuclear submarine. We often forget about the contribution High Life Entertainment make to our journey, and yes I’m sure there are airlines with wider selection, but it certainly felt like BA had upped their game on this one. I managed to watch the remainder of the series in the morning.

A fee toilets trips later and I settled in for a sleep. I slept exceptionally well, despite seeing reports on here saying the rear CW is nosier, I really didn’t notice it even with an infant travelling, they only cried on the last 20 minutes of decent into Heathrow.

i had a good chat with some of the CC at various points in the flight, talking about the strike and what they think about the lanyard, so useful to be able to feed that back.

I was already awake for Breakfast (I’d kept to UK time over in Brazil) and it was great, croissant, fruits, yoghurt, tea, orange juice and then there was an option for English” (although how can it be an English breakfast without sausage), Frittata or Banana pancakes. I stuck with the fruit.

And then a few turns of the holding circle and we were down, T5C, shuttle without issue, collected baggage and then onwards home.

Thanks everyone for all your advice, banter and support during the trip, it was incredible and I really appreciate it;,makes FT one of the best communities to be part of.

If anyone sees me on my travels, which I hope I can continue to do, please do say hi and please do keep your experiences and suggestions coming in for my meeting with BA. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by navylad; Sep 14, 2019 at 10:44 am
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm so glad to hear that you had such a nice flight home. Your dinner looks really good for airplane food too.
navylad likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:57 am

Wanted to thank you for coming back. My post disappeared.

Very glad you had a good trip back and you shared your knowledge with the rest of us.
navylad likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Navylad, so glad your trip ended well and that the flight home was so good. Great review and impressed with BA CC stepping up and acknowledging failings on the outbound journey.

Kudos too to Caroline Martinoli at BAHQ for her response to you and for getting you into CW for the return. It seems she really did take the failure seriously. Great that you can have the follow-up with BA to improve things going forward.

Finally it's great that you posted the update. Too often threads end without feedback on how things ended.
wrp96 and navylad like this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Great to see that you had a better experience on the return.

OT, but was it Trafalgar Class that you worked on?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TedToToe
Great to see that you had a better experience on the return.

OT, but was it Trafalgar Class that you worked on?
Thanks

Specifically in the role of Radiation Safety Officer for the reactor and weapons it was SSBN, but I have done other tasking with SSNs.
TedToToe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.